Daytime naps

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:26 am 
Post subject: Daytime naps
We're really struggling getting Abigail into any kind of daytime routine. She doesn't seem to show any tiredness signs until it's too late and she's grouchy.

She has a brilliant night time routine, which she knows well now and you can tell she loves it. She can self settle, and is asleep by 8pm in her crib, and can sleep till 4am then again until 7am.

I'd read that babies should only be awake after the first wake up for 1 1/2 to 2 hours so been reading her a story and trying to put her back down just before 9am. Seems to be a bit hit and miss but she seems to be getting better at it. She usually wakes up screaming again within 20-30 minutes though. After this first hit and miss nap though it all goes downhill and she tends to get grumpier as the day goes on, as we just can't get her to nap again. She will sometimes nap while she nurses for a few hours in the afternoon, and sometimes fall asleep in her pram but not always.

Any tips?

xx

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:05 am 
Post subject:
Just to add, I'm not really sure why she wakes up crying when she does manage to have a morning nap. She self settles so it's not as if she's waking up in a strange place. And she never ever cries when she wakes up in the night Confused

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:35 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter used to be terrible at daytime naps but great at bedtime too!

I did try putting her in her cot (making sure it was dark etc) and trying to force a nap on her but that never really worked. :/ I ended up just having to let her form some type of daytime routine herself as she wouldn't conform to anything I tried to make her do. I think she was about 3 months old when she started to have more regular naps but it would change every time she got a new tooth.

I would try not to stress, give her the opportunity to sleep but don't worry too much if she doesn't. My daughter was particularly bad at about 9 weeks and one day didn't sleep from 9am til 9pm!!

Cues can include: staring into distance, intermittent playing, obviously rubbing eyes and moaning, rubbing her face and pulling hair, clothes, you. Stroking something or pushing something against her face, turning her head away from people, toys etc.

Tips: To be honest I used boob to get my daughter to go to sleep! And a dummy! I also tried the whole - hoovering/background white noise thing, as well as dark room, quiet, driving, swing, sling. Nothing worked regularly for her, but other people swore by them - so everything is worth a try.

My daughter is now nearly 11 months and I have just had to tell nursery that she still needs to be cuddled to sleep sometimes!! Laughing Shocked

Good Luck.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular