Bottle feeding times

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:32 am 
Post subject: Bottle feeding times
We're wanting to make the transition from breast feeding to formula when LO is 3 months old but have no idea what times of day to give the bottle. She still feeds quite on demand, but tends to be roughly every 2 hours during the day. She has been having one bottle of formula at 7.30pm and wakes up once or twice during the night for feeds but they only tend to be short feeds. I know that she is only meant to have 5 formula feeds in 24 hours so what times do I do them? Also, even though she only has a short feed during the night usually, would we try to get her to take a full feed for her age?

Thanks xx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:37 pm 
Post subject:
I really wouldnt go on the guidelines of how many feeds they are supposed to have, its more about how much they drink. At just turned 3 months my daughter was only having 4 bottles a day. Every 4 hours and sleeping through, and was having 6-8oz on waking then 6oz every 4 hours.

I would start with switching one b/f at a time, so maybe start with the morning feed?

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:05 am 
Post subject:
Heath, we're doing the same with Eden. She still feeds roughly on demand through the day although we try to go 2.5hrs if we can otherwise she just snacks! We're working backwards as she's always had a top up bottle around 10pm - 10.30pm and she generally sleeps until 5.30am minimum. We're now giving her a top up bottle at 7.30/8 pm ish as well and in a couple of weeks we'll do the same with the feed before that one. I didn't want to start with the morning ones as this is when I have most milk and she gets a good feed!! Don't worry too much about timings - my eldest went roughly 3hrs when bottle fed so for example - 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm and then aiming for 4 hours over night so 11pm, 3am until 7am. It doesn't need to be regimented though - some days they're hungrier! X
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:28 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you for replying. Hadn't thought about going backwards from her 7.30pm bottle. I had automatically thought it made sense to start with her morning feed. My supply is best in the morning too, and that could mean I could possibly still breastfeed her once a day once I'm back at work.
Sounds silly I know but want to wait till she's exactly 3 months before starting the transition. I almost don't want to 'let go' of feeding her myself but I go back to work in 10 weeks. She doesn't tend to be in much of a daytime routine so we need to get her switched and get a routine established while me and OH are both at home.

xx

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:42 am 
Post subject:
It doesn't sound silly at all! Considering I was so adamant that I wasn't going to breast feed, I'm a bit reluctant to give it up completely, so I'm not!!!! Eden's going longer between feeds now - on an average day she'll be breast fed at roughly 6am, 9am, midday and 3pm and now I feed her for 15 mins ish at 6pm, 8pm and 10pm and then she has a top up bottle with my husband. It's not exact, yesterday she woke up at 4.45am so I fed her then, then again at 8am and then she didnt want anymore until 12.45! You do what works for you! I'm just starting to get a routine in place but I've learnt from having Isobel to be a bit more flexible as well! Xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular