Sterilisation Reversal : Costs, Hospitals ,Outcomes etc

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:48 am 
Post subject: Sterilisation Reversal : Costs, Hospitals ,Outcomes etc
The reversal Ladies have been saying for a while we should have some sort of sticky with peoples experiences of reversal on so any new Ladies thinking about having the op can get some real life experiences to help them decide .
I was thinking of something along these lines Question

Age and OHs age at reversal
Date sterilised
Method used : If known
Date reversed
Any pre op tests
Hospital used
Surgeon
Method for reversal
Were stents used ?
Cost
Op outcome ie. one or both tubes saved, length and condition of tubes if known

Then maybe some TTC history such as anything used to boost your chances, soy clomid, opks etc

Pregnancies achieved
Any further investigations
Any further ops and treatments (lap and dyes, IVF etc.)
and then maybe any tips we can think of to help Ladies along Question

Any extras that need to go on the list ladies that I've missed Question
I was thinking of a poll as well to gauge how successful the op is overall, although quite a few of the ladies from last year who've had no success so far no longer come on (4 out of the 8 of us) and i'm sure that must be true for previous Ladies too so not sure how accurate a poll would be Question
Maybe this one should be kept just for posts about ops etc too as otherwise it can get hard to find the info in between the other posts Smile

Last edited by DL05 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:45 am; edited 3 times in total
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:09 am 
Post subject:
Me 40 OH 35 at time of reversal
Sterilised march 2002
Cut and cauterised
Reversed August 2010
Pre op had cd 1-5 bloods done and OH had a SA
At Spire Regency (macclesfield)
Surgeon Andrew Pickersgill
Reversed by Keyhole method
No stents used
Cost (then) �2700 (now around �3100)
Op outcome : right tube too badly damaged to save , removed, Left tube repaired, around 5-6 cms and in good condition

Went straight into ttc by using charting, opks and soy the first month also took pregnancy vits and got OH taking vits with zinc and selenium for sperm quality, by feb six months after the op I also got a CBFM Embarassed Lots of timing of BD , and testing etc. Wouldn't really reccommend it as it increases the pressure Rolling Eyes Laughing

Pregnancies achieved : None
Feb 2011 saw GP about Gynae referral
HSG: March 2011, no fill or spill either side (7 months after op)
Lap and Dye : May 2011 spill from tube stump but no fill or spill on left , advised tube completely blocked (9 months after op )
Lap and Dye : November 2011 as reversal cons wanted to seal tube stump and check for a true blockage rather than a spasm of tube : Results right tube stump sealed after leaking dye, left side (repaired tube) no fill or spill confirmed totally blocked, presumed with scar tissue (according to the doc, but I never believed it was scarring there as I'd had nothing done there Question ) ,but he said it had probably started to form within a few months of op

End of our TTC journey Sad

Update : am now waiting for a tubal cannulation procedure in September this year (2012)which may be able to unblock my left tube Shocked Question
2ND UPDATE :
TUBAL CANNULATION OP
I had the cannulation on tuesday the 23rd of October 2012 in the end as it was delayed .
During the op they put a camera in from your belly button and one through your uterus along with a cannular (flexible thin plastic tube) that has a guide wire inside it , there was no sign whatsoever of the supposed blockage I had that stopped the fill of the left tube on the HSG, and first and second lap and dye Question
the cannular went into the tube easily Shocked , the guide wire was then pushed along the tube, where it only got as far as the reversal site before stopping Sad
They tried to get it to progress but it wouldn't, so they flushed the tube with dye to see how badly it was blocked and no dye got past that point either Sad
I could clearly see on the photos the way the tube swelled up to that point and turned bluish from the dye and that there was no fill after that point (the reversal site is clear as there are blue stitches there )
So although the block I'd been being told was there since March 2011 was gone (I never thought that could be scarring as it was in a place that had never been touched by the reversal Question but have never had an explaination for what it could have been to be there last November but not now Question )
It was confirmed that the tube had actually scarred over at the reversal site (well it was presumed to be scarring as it was at the reversal site Question and that portion of the tube can't spasm the same way the proximal end can ) , this scarring i'm told is permanent, will not get better or shrink away and thats that , no more babies for us Crying or Very sad
Not the outcome I expected as I thought there was just this cornual/proximal blockage and fully expected the cannulation to clear that as I always thought it was just mucus or a bit of lining or something else temporary Confused
So it was a big shock to learn that the tube was blocked with scarring (?) at the reversal site Sad
It's one of those things that you know way back in your mind is a possibility but you just sort of dismiss it as happening to you Sad , i'm glad I know now at least but do feel slightly angry that the cannulation wasn't offered after the HSG in March 2011 as it would have been better to know then Rolling Eyes
Or maybe if it had of been done then and cleared the temporary blockage sooner at that point the tube might not have been scarred shut further up Question
Now I'll never know Question
Oh just a side note to say I took Noresthisterone to delay septembers AF by 3 weeks or so just so I wouldn't be due AF when I had this op , and I'm almost 100% sure I had a "decidual cast" with my AF when I finally got it Shocked (only google that if you've got a strong stomach Shocked Laughing ) thats where the entire womb lining comes away in one piece or a couple of pieces and is much thicker and more solid than usual, and when that happened I had a look at it as I very briefly thought it might have been an m/c and off to one side there was a long thin bit that i'm sure had gone up and through the bit of the tube in the uterine muscle and into the end of the actual tube on one side (it had a bit in the end which went much thinner but sort of stepped in rather than tapering Question ) and I suspect it was the actions of this over growth of womb lining coming off in one piece and pulling everything out together that actually cleared the proximal blockage on the left Shocked Laughing , I now think it could well have been just a bit of womb lining growing too far up, especially as we have a family history of endo Question
So if anyone does get told they have a proximal blockage it could well just be something similar ? and the cannulation is well worth pushing for, I would recommend the Noresthisterone to clear it Confused but getting a decidual cast after taking it for 3 weeks is very uncommon so it might well not help (plus it was horribly painful coming away Shocked Laughing )

Tips for new Ladies Smile
number one would be , relax and just go with it at first, I may have actually ruined my best chance of achieving a pregnancy by trying so hard at first and using soy (which i think encourages me to ov on the right where I have no tube )
number 2 would be dont sleep on your side while recovering from the op , strange I know but i'm a left sleeper and my left tube is now blocked and some of the right side sleeper ladies have had blockages on the right (could be related to fluid settling after the op possibly Question ) I wish I'd known there was a possible connection anyway so i'm passing that one on Smile
number 3 would be , don't expect miracles , I presumed if my tube was rejoined I would just get pregnant right away and that does occassionally happen, but your age , the method used, the length and condition of your repaired tubes all makes a difference and even a tube that looks perfect can sometimes just not work , it's also a very emotional roller coaster of a journey , I thought IVF would be more stressful so I went for this option but knowing what I know now about the pressure involved with TTC when you have no idea whats happening inside your own body Shocked Laughing , I think IVF is probably less stressful as at least you always know exactly whats happening Rolling Eyes Laughing
For me now my journeys over, I am still glad I tried as I would have found it harder knwoing I didn't try, but if I had my time over again I think being 40 at the time of the Op that I should probably have gone for the IVF instead Question Smile

Last edited by DL05 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
Angelcake71
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:50 am 
Post subject:
brilliant idea Nat.. can you ask the mods to make it a sticky?? so it goes on the top of the page and doesnt get lost.. (forum feedback section) xx
Angel Baby due 21/6/2012 (m/c)
All 3 much loved and wanted xx
Angelcake71
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:05 am 
Post subject:
Me 39 OH 41 at the time of reversal
sterilised march 2000
tubes cut and tied
Reversed July 2010
Pre op had 1-5 bloods done 21 day progesterone swabs c smear hep B test thyrpoid function
blood test OH had2 S/A
At Nuffield (Taunton)
Surgeon Mr Guy Fender
Reversed by open surgery method..
cost 3700 including 2 day hospital stay and 6 week post op appointment and hcg if wanted
op outcome.. both tubes done.. scarring removed from left tube..had stents put in .. then removed.. ouch!
Taking Pregnacare vits and Royal Jelly and OH on wellman vits.

waited til after 1st AF before ttc.. no temping no charting..no ov sticks just going with the flow!

Pregnancies achieved 3.. August 2010 .. ectopic lost right tube and beanie
May 2010 M/C at 5 weeks 3 days
October 2011 M/C at 5 weeks

Currently just starting ttc again.. no temping charting ov sticks..planning reflexology and regular massages to help get everything flowing and for relaxation!

Tips..most important .. dont get sterilised in the 1st place especially if you are under 40.. your life changed but you dont think that at the time! dont sleep on your side.. too much.. take some good multi vits daily.. dont plan and dont try too hard.. avoid stress if possible.. dont let BD become a chore .. make sure you both enjoy it.. remember that the op only has a 50% success rate..

Last edited by Angelcake71 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
lilemm
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:51 am 
Post subject:
Me 36 Oh 57 (at time of reversal)
Steralised May 2000
Tubes had clips applied
Reversed June 2010
No other tests done prior to op
OH had SA
Spire hospital, Washington
Surgeon Mr Duncan Irons
Reversed by open surgery
Cost 3600
Had 2 day stay and 8 week post op app
Outcome right tube ok, left tube had fibroids removed.
Was advised not to ttc for 8 weeks
Started ttc after 6 weeks
No temping or charting, did use opk's for 1st couple of months
Taking Well Woman vits
Oh was taking Well Man vits

Pregnancies achieved (currently 10 weeks pregnant after 15 months of trying)
Apr 2011 had HSG no fill or spill in either tubes (10 months after op)
June 2011 had Lap & Dye showed left tube dye ran freely through, and right tube blocked
Found out i was pregnant about 3 months after Lap & dye.

I do believe the same as Nat and because i'm a right sleeper it caused my right tube to become blocked, and you have to try and relax and go with th flo, the month i fell was the month i was really busy helping a friend move into her new house so wasn't obsessing about when i ov, just went with the flow!
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:09 pm 
Post subject:
Steralised at 27 in March 2003 Procedure done by Mr Hussain Ahmed

2 Sets of clips were applied to each tube.
Tests prior to reversal,HSG which showed fill up to the point of the clips.
OH SA results showed low count.
Day 21 bloods.
Started taking Asda pre conceive and OH started on Asda well man multi vits.

Reversal op 19th Oct 2011
Spire Alexandra,walderslade,Kent
Procedure done by Mr Hussain Ahmed
2 day stay in hospital
Cost �4170 + �600 for hsg & bloods.

Started using ov testing strips after op.

Positive pregnancy test 15th Nov 11.

Just thought i would update,we are currently 13 weeks pregnant with naturally concieved identical twins Very Happy

Last edited by mand136 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam36
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:42 pm 
Post subject:
Me 35 OH 28 at time of reversal
Sterilised sept 2000
Cut and tied
Reversed August 2010
Pre op had cd 21 bloods done and OH had a SA
At Park hospital (Doncaster)
Surgeon Ms Nair
Reversed by open surgery method
Cost (then) 2700
Op outcome : Both tubes opened left only 3cm and right 5-6 cm
I had a stent put into my tubes and taken out 2 days later.

Went straight into TTC after my first AF (which was 3 days later) used a CBFM, took vits soy ect through the 15 months

Pregnancies achieved : None
HSG Sept 2011 showed no spill into the tubes, was told both tubes most likely to be blocked, unlikely to have spasmed? Rolling Eyes
Day 21 bloods on borderline (around 29) so doctor at local hosp has told me to give up! I have a cons appointment with the original surgeon after xmas so we shall see what she suggests?

Id say take it easy, relax and dont get too stressed. (easier said than done though) XX

ME 37
OH 30

Last edited by Sam36 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Pumpkintoots
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:46 pm 
Post subject:
Me 35 OH 33 when I had reversal
Date sterilised: 1998
Method used : Cut and cauterised
Date reversed: 4th August 2011
Any pre op tests: oH HAD S/A came back over average
Hospital used: BMI Alexandra hospital Stockport, Cheshire.
Surgeon Mr John Wynn
Method for reversal:Open surgery
Cost: 3875 and 150 initial consultation fee. The price included 6 week post op check.
Op outcome: Both tubes saved, in good condition and dye flushed through both.

Con advised us to wait till first AF to TTC so we did, that was three weeks after op. started using OPK's and charting my temp, CM, and CP this month and I have a CBFM on it's way for next month if we have no luck. Myself and OH are taking wellman and wellwoman conception vits and we are also using preseed.

Pregnancies achieved: Had chemical pregnancy in October, but nothing since, but it's early days and I'm not expecting miracles.
Any further investigations: None as yet but have been told if we have no luck by 6 months of actively trying then we should go back to con for further tests.
Any further ops and treatments (lap and dyes, IVF etc.): None

Any advice....Do not let TTC become a chore as that is what it feels like for me and OH at the moment and it's not nice Sad Don't expect miracles like I did, I expected it to work first month and it rarely does. Do not google too much as it will only confuse you and make you more stressed.

Me-36
OH-33

Reversal op 04/08/2011
ann1968
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:49 pm 
Post subject: sterilisation reversal
Hi, i had reversal on 8th of this month, just over 2 weeks ago. I had keyhole in the Alexandra hospital in Manchester it cost 4,800 or 5500 as i came over from ireland to have the reversal done, couldnt get it done here with keyhole in ireland. dr luciando Nardo did the op, he said op went well and tubes look good. haven't tried to get pregnant yet, hopefully this weekend i will ovulate so fingers crossed.
ME 43YRS OH 41YRS
ME 4 children from previous marriage 16, 14, 9, and 8.
Partner no children, yet.....
linziflips
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
Love this & it really does help listening to people that have had the op. Only 3 weeks on wednesday until i get mine done xxxx
NortyDeb
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:49 pm 
Post subject:
Sterilised with clips in 1998 - Aged 28
Reversal 12 April 2011 - Me 41 OH 39
No pre op tests done - just wanted to be put back together again!!
Reversal Hospital: Spire Regency in Macclesfield
Reversal Surgeon: Mr Andrew Pickersgill
Method for reversal: Keyhole
Had op done at 7pm went home the following morning
Initial consultation: 200
Reversal cost: 3,125
Op outcome: Both tubes saved

Soy used in October - BFN
Soy used in November - Due AF on 14/12/11

No pregnancies achieved to date
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:15 pm 
Post subject:
Heard afew mention stents...sorry to be so thick but what are they? Confused
Angelcake71
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:37 pm 
Post subject:
mine was used to help drain off the wound to stop infection.. only a few surgeons use them xx
linziflips
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:41 pm 
Post subject:
Well i hope since my surgeon hasnt mentioned them that means he doesnt use them...dont like the sound of it Question
Sam36
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:21 pm 
Post subject:
My stents were put through my tubes to keep them open. They were about the size of headphone wire and went through my tubes and came out of my wound. After 2 days the surgeon pulled them through the wound. It is supposed to help keep the tubes open and minimise the scaring inside. X

ME 37
OH 30
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  

Community

Popular