Any other pg ladies had a lemsip?? Apparantly not safe!!

ladygaga
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:53 pm 
Post subject: Any other pg ladies had a lemsip?? Apparantly not safe!!
Hiya everyone just wanted to share the fact that ive had 3 lemsips over the last 48 hours, without giving it a second thought. Then hubby read the back this evening and it said 'if pregnant please consult doctor or pharmacy'. So I rang the doctors and they said its not safe in pregnancy, especially in pregnancy because of the decongestant.
Really worried I rang the mat ward who said they do say to avoid the drug in lemsip in pregnancy! They said they are not too concerned that I have had it as long as I dont have anymore but when I asked if it will have done any damage to baby they said 'we can never say that for sure'.
Still worried about it now, feel so stupid but it never even crossed my mind really.
Has anyone else had any? x

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:11 pm 
Post subject:
Awww I am sure that you it will be fine......ask a pharmacist they know more about medication and what's safe in pregnancy xx

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:45 pm 
Post subject:
Aww hum try not to worry. The amount of decongestant in a lemsip compared to a decongestant tablet is quite a lot. Most lemsips only contain about 10 mg Pseudoephedrine and 60mg of this are contained in a well know decongestion tablet. So I really wouldn't worry. As Jennifer said pharmacists are brilliant for advice on medicine etc as I've found over the years.
Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:30 pm 
Post subject:
Oh Hun try not to worry, you aren't supposed to have decongestants in pregnancy but you only had a couple and I'm sure all will be fine. They could never tell you everything will be a 100% as no one could say that about any pregnancy but they haven't dragged you into the unit so I would take that as a reassuring sign. There aren't many over the counter meds you can have in pregnancy. Paracetamol is ok but you need to check the labels as some brands contain other things like caffeine, codiene and of course decongestants. The others are right always check with the pharmacist if you are not sure. The gp's can prescribe meds that are safe in pregnancy that the pharmacist cannot give you unless its on prescription, but that would only be in extreme cases where the health of the mother outward the risk to the baby xx

ladygaga
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:53 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the replies ladies, I appreciate it. Hopefully the fact that I only had three means I wont have harmed baby! I pray anyway! Does anyone know what it can actually do or why you shouldnt take it? Yes hoping that because they didnt call me in then they are not over concerned, just wish they could have said 'it will be fine'. x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular