High temp

StaceyRD
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:29 pm 
Post subject: High temp
Isabelle had a high temp yesterday (38.Cool which went down in the day then shot up again in the evening so I gave her calpol and she went to bed fine, checked overnight and temp was 37.5. This morning she woke and it was 39.2. So we've had an indoor day with meds every so often because she's still high. She is acting more tired than usual but eating, drinking, chattering and playing okay. Also can't tell me what the matter is - she just says "I'm poorly" if I ask how she feels, she can't elaborate it at all.
When you have unexplained temps what do you do? Ride it out for a few days? Is it 3 days you're allowed to give constant meds for before going to the doctors?

Bobski1980
Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:22 pm 
Post subject:
Keep alternating between calpol and nurofen, obviously watch how much you give in 24 hours, if you are unable to get her temp below 38 and it remains above this despite meds then you need to see a gp. Keep her cool but don't undress her completely as they can lose too much heat. It might be worth seeing the gp anyway as they can check her ears and throat, they might not prescribe any meds if its viral but would be good to rule out things like ear infection/tonsillitis etc x

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:24 am 
Post subject:
I usually just keep giving the medicine, check the temperature and evaluate on how she is.

Sleep is good, so let her sleep as much as she wants, as long as she is eating and drinking thats good.

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:05 pm 
Post subject:
I asked my Dr about the 3 day warning on calpol. They said that if a child is a bit off colour for 2 or 3 days its fine to give them calpol etc. If they are still unless on day 4,5+ its best to see GP to get them checked over. A 4th day of being unwell is a good trigger to see a GP. If they are diagnosed with an illness e.g. ear infection, its fine to give calpol etc for a longer period of time. They just worry that people are spooning calpol into kids without knowing why they are ill.

Hope your little one is better very soon.
StaceyRD
Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:27 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks all Smile Well she was first poorly on Sunday, Tues morning still had high temp and started getting a bit of a barky cough so I took her to the doctors. Turns out she had a lot of mucus in her throat so possible throat virus, has practically lost her voice bless her. She napped yesterday and has just been acting tired the rest of the time but not wanting to give in Rolling Eyes Doc said come back on Friday if she's no better.
In the mean time she's shared her germs and as of last night George has had a very high temp Rolling Eyes
So two kiddies with frequent medicine, both wanting cuddles and naps and being a bit moany bless them x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular