breast worries

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:42 pm 
Post subject: breast worries
Hi,
My little boy is 18 months. I fed him for about a month then had to stop, the pain was awful, he would cry with hunger and there was times I would vomit at the thought of letting him suck every aspect was painful. By about month 7 my boobs would still swell up, go hot and try and make milk every time he cried. I did try a few times to re-establish feeding but he didn't latch on.
I went to Dr who said its probably normal, she took blood to see if there was a milk production issue but never got back to me so I assuming nothing was found.
I got better fitting bra's, lost a little wait and althought they are sometimes sore, never thought much of it, after all I have a tot who climbs on me, bumps into me, bashes them like bongo's, I sleep on them...you get the idea.
Well last week hubby noticed a lump in one of them, I went straight to Dr who agreed there was a lump and sent me for more tests
I am $h!tt!ng my self I am so scared!
I am under 30, never smoked, do regular exercise, rarely drink, did a little breast feeding, spent about 7 or 8 years on the pill but came off about 4 or 5 years ago, so there are a lot of things in my favour.
A friend suggested it could be linked to feeding problems that the milk did not drain away correctly?
Any ideas?
Anyone been in this situation?
Can anyone tell me what to expect next please?

Thanks in advance.
Bobski1980
Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:00 am 
Post subject:
I had to reply to this because I also had a breast lump and I was absolutely terrified! It appeared when my boy was about 8 months old and was the size of a pea. By the time I got my ultrasound ( which was later than it should've been) it was the size of a dried apricot. It also fit all the symptoms of it being cancerous. It was fixed to my breast tissue, and it started to get bobbles and ridges and was quite hard. I was so scared and prayed at my ultrasound they would say its all fine and send me home. But they did a fine needle aspiration as they weren't sure and a week later the results were inconclusive so I had to go for a core biopsy. Anyway to cut a long story short it was just a benign lump that grew due to my hormones being all over the place after having a baby. It's still there but it's fine. There are so many causes of breast lumps that are nothing to worry about and so common after pregnancy. You can get milk cysts which sounds quite likely after the problems you've had with your milk, plain cysts which come and go depending on time of the month, lots of different types of benign lumps. You have your age and health on your side and its much more likely to be something innocent. Easy to say but try not to worry, you found it and ate getting it sorted which is the main thing. Good luck I really hope all is well, I will check the forum to see if you've posted xx

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:12 am 
Post subject:
My friend described the same symptoms as you hun and hers turned out to be a blocked milk duct.

She was experienceing excruciating pain while trying to breast feed and so had to stop then a few weeks later noticed a lump. The tests showed it was a blocked duct that had become inflamed hence the appearence of the lumping getting bigger.

I know its easier said than done but try not to worry, like you say everything is in your favour and it probably is just something and nothing.

xx
Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:28 am 
Post subject:
It could be a blocked duct as the ladies said, that can happen if your milk doesn't drain properly, or it could be a type of fibrous lump call a fibroadenoma, which are progesterone sensitive, they're completely harmless and they only remove them if they get very big and cause you problems, they often appear after a pregnancy or in women on the mini pill or implant because the raised progesterone triggers them and they often shrink on their own as well, but its always best to have anything checked out.
My daughter had these after having the implant and went to the GP who sent her to the breast clinic at our local hospital, she had a scan and then a needle biopsy (just literally a small needle that takes a tiny bit of the lump) and got the results to say it was harmless the same day Smile The doc said over 80% of lumps they check are harmless and don't need any treatment, Good luck xx
Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies, Hospital appointment is later this week. At first I was so upset and terrified but I have told a few friend, you guys and my mum and I feel a lot calmer now a few people know what's on my mind.
I do think it comes and goes depending on the time of the month, this may sound mental but pretty much all my friend are pregnant at the minute and I wondered if all the baby talk, birth talk, going though my sons baby stuff (giving away the none sentimental stuff) etc could have subconsciously triggered some kind of hormone surge?

The needle biopsy sounds nasty but I guess if that's necessary then its worth doing. Seriously hope they don't leave me waiting weeks for results.

Will keep you posted.

xxx
Bobski1980
Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:23 am 
Post subject:
That sounds very plausible and lumps do come and go with monthly cycles. The fine needle biopsy is a little uncomfortable but its bearable, if you go for a core biopsy they give you local anaesthetic, this is a lot more invasive but I found it completely painless and was much better than the fine needle. You might not need either anyway it probably is a blocked milk duct. Good luck xx

StaceyRD
Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:20 pm 
Post subject:
I hope your appointment goes well and everything is okay x

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:50 am 
Post subject:
Sorry no advice but I hope everything went well Janey xx

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:32 pm 
Post subject:
All Fine!

Thank God!

Thanks for all your support Ladies, I was ok until the Dr Examined me and confirmed there was a lump and measured it etc and I just burst into tears, the whole morning was spent crying! crying with fear, worry and stress then crying with relief....what a mess!!!
All good though and I am pleased I got checked out, I would be making my self ill with stress if I didn't get properly checked!
Bobski1980
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
That is great news!!! So happy for you, did they say what it was? X

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:06 pm 
Post subject:
not really, one Dr said it was a "lump" another called it a "thickening" I asked what's the difference? he replied "if you called it a lump I wouldn't argue with you, if you called it a thickening I wouldn't argue with you" - that didn't help me either! the 3rd Dr said it was over active breast tissue - again didn't mean much to me.
Kind of just got put down to "normal" but honestly it only showed up after having my little one.
I just have to accept that's normal (it hurts which apparently is a good sign for being none cancerous) and watch out for any other changes in the future. Apparently the "Lumps" they worry about are smaller, harder and you can really press your finger on it and they don't move.
So pleased its safe!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular