Baby Toiletries

Amymel86
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:12 pm 
Post subject: Baby Toiletries
Hi Ladies

Just wondering what baby toiletries we need to get before the arrival so we're prepared.

Obviously already know about nappies, wipes and Sudocream. Also heard that getting some Infacol in is a good idea....any others I should put on my list?

Thanks
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:06 pm 
Post subject:
We've got some shampoo, bath and body wash, lotion, pampers sensitive baby wipes though I dont plan on using those until past a month. cotton wool pads, bepanthen, nappy sacks, havent invested in any infacol or gripe water etc.. Think thats about it for what we have, going to play it by ear as we obviously dont know what she is going to be like - skin wise etc.. so dont want to go overboard.

Exciting isnt it Very Happy x
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:42 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Nutty!

Yea - sooo exciting!! Very Happy
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:16 pm 
Post subject:
To be honest I bought loads of lotions and stuff but ended up just using shampoo and E45 cream as I didn't really like the feel of the johnsons body lotion cream and the my midwives/health visitor and nursery nurse all said that the oil dries their skin - apparently olive oil is better for them?

I personally think that many of them are very 'chemically' which cant be good for a child and even now I avoid many lotions/bath stuff as my daughter is quite a rashy/allergic child.

Smile
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:18 pm 
Post subject:
Current recommendations is....nothing...basically. You don't need anything really, just nappies, cotton wool and yeah maybe sudocrem or metanium. You aren't recommended to do anything but quick bum and face washes for the first few weeks, not even baths, and when you do give them baths not to use bubbles, soap, shampoo etc

It is also not recommended to use wipes for a while, just cotton wool and warm water, gets their little bums clean without weird slimy cold chemicals.

It's personal preference, I think even if it wasn't the current 'trend' I wouldn't want to put loads of perfume and stuff on my shiny new baby Smile

mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:20 pm 
Post subject:
^ as for gripe water, infacol etc i would avoid bothering while baby is so tiny, you really need to watch what you are putting in their tummies!!! And if you find you do need something at 2am, it's nothing you can't get at 24 hour tesco Smile sometimes that nice night drive is quite peaceful lol

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:58 pm 
Post subject:
Hello ladies Smile
I volunteer on a postnatal ward and we do the bath demos!
We do currently advise that there are no bath products for a few weeks however shampoo is fine. Obviously you usually wash the babies head and face put of the water using cotton wool before dirtying the water with the body however when using shampoo you would obviously do this afterwards to avoid contact with baby!
I had sudocrem, personal preference but we had many problems with Lola and metanium was very bad for her and we were told sudocrem was the best!
We also stocked up on calpol because Lola developed cold after cold and was unfortunately needing calpol very early in life.
Gripe water is fab too but if you're struggling I usually advise mums to hold baby back to you, arm around belly (strange for a newborn I know) but really works getting thT wind up Smile
Xx
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:28 am 
Post subject:
I didn't use bath products for the first month, my baby had really bad colic and I used infacol very early on which did help. You can't give calpol until baby is 3 months old but if baby is poorly and you do need it the gp can prescribe it. I uses sudo cream as well but found times when my baby had really bad nappy rash and it did nothing for that. Metanium cleared it up instantly. There are loads of products on the market, you will find what's right for you and your baby, it might mean trying a few things out but you shouldn't need much x

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:36 pm 
Post subject:
It is safe to use calpol from birth they just pop on 3 months up to prevent people administering it unnecessarily (so that they'll seek advice from a doctor before hand)
A paediatrician told me he wouldn't use metanium due to its harsh ingredients, it can make sore skin flare up further which it did as my daughter ended up in hospital but I do know of parents who found it really worked for them.
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:58 am 
Post subject:
I am a registered health care professional that administers paracetamol to paediatrics as part if my job. The reason it is prescribed by a gp before three months is also so they can correctly calculate the appropriate dose according to the child's weight and correctly assess the baby to make sure there is nothing more sinister going on. Paracetamol although an over the counter drug is very harmful if not given in correct doses so I certainly wouldn't advise anyone give a baby any paracetamol containing product below the recommended age without consulting a gp first. Metanium is the only cream that seems to clear up my boys nappy rash, he's had blistering and its worked wonders, I guess it's trial and error.

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:38 pm 
Post subject:
Bobski1980 wrote:
I am a registered health care professional that administers paracetamol to paediatrics as part if my job. The reason it is prescribed by a gp before three months is also so they can correctly calculate the appropriate dose according to the child's weight and correctly assess the baby to make sure there is nothing more sinister going on. Paracetamol although an over the counter drug is very harmful if not given in correct doses so I certainly wouldn't advise anyone give a baby any paracetamol containing product below the recommended age without consulting a gp first. Metanium is the only cream that seems to clear up my boys nappy rash, he's had blistering and its worked wonders, I guess it's trial and error.

Do you have any tips on giving a toddler calpol??! My son still now won't take it and would love some tips!
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:41 pm 
Post subject:
hmmm... a few of you have said it and I think I agree - I don't want to put too many chemicals on my baby (especially in the first few weeks).

I've heard that for the first month you should clean baby's bum and bits with cotton wool and water when doing a nappy change - I want to stick to this, but wondering if it is a right faff? I suppose when you got out you'd have to take a little bottle of water with you everywhere? Do I have to get a specific type of cotton wool (sorry if a silly question)? Embarassed
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:56 pm 
Post subject:
You might find when you are out and about its handy to carry either a little spray bottle with cold water, or just an empty tupperware tub as baby changing rooms have sinks so you can get warm water. As for cotton wool the pleats i think work out cheapest as you do go through a lot. Its still lighter than heaving wipes around! Just tescos or similar is fine, worth buying in bulk if you see an offer.

I was very surprised about how strongly i felt once baby was born about using chemicals, i was quite complacent about it before but this wee tiny bottom is just so perfect! Like someone else said you'll find what's right for you.

changing a newborn nappy is generally a faff, but nothing compared to getting their arms and legs into a babygrow before they poo or puke again!!!

Bobski1980
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:06 pm 
Post subject:
Banoffee what have you tried so far? Is it the flavour they dont like or just that its medicine? Obviously you can try getting your little one to take it on a spoon, I find a syringe normally works quite well. Might be a bit old but you can get medicine dummy's, although my boy wised up to that one. Alternatively you could try a different brand which may have a slightly different flavour. The supermarket own brands are a lot cheaper and are the same thing. Depending on how old they are you could try a reward, so if he takes his medicine he gets a sticker or biscuit for instance, that normally works better with older toddlers. I hope that helps x

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:55 pm 
Post subject:
Bobski1980 wrote:
Banoffee what have you tried so far? Is it the flavour they dont like or just that its medicine? Obviously you can try getting your little one to take it on a spoon, I find a syringe normally works quite well. Might be a bit old but you can get medicine dummy's, although my boy wised up to that one. Alternatively you could try a different brand which may have a slightly different flavour. The supermarket own brands are a lot cheaper and are the same thing. Depending on how old they are you could try a reward, so if he takes his medicine he gets a sticker or biscuit for instance, that normally works better with older toddlers. I hope that helps x

I've tried the syringe, on a spoon and also putting it in yoghurt!! He is a fussy eater and so anything new he will not entertain and he must not like the taste as when I've put it in yoghurt he just spurs it out straightaway!! I will try a different brand/flavour next time along with a reward. Thank you for that really appreciate it.
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular