Colicky baby

Cardiffmum
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:09 pm 
Post subject: Colicky baby
Hi, I am a mum of a 2 month old girl and a 2 year old boy. My daughter has had colic since 4 weeks, and could only be soothed in a sling. Her colic is now improving, but she now loves the sling, and cries uncontrollably if set down anywhere else when sleepy during the day. Thankfully she settles well in her Moses basket at night, and so far it's been easy to keep her in a sling all day, as it leaves me with two hands free to take care of my toddler. However, I'm worried that we're not teaching her to settle herself for daytime naps, and it'll get harder to do this as she gets older and heavier. With my son, we used pick up put down to eventually get him to nap, but this took a long time (up to a couple of hours each day, over a few weeks), with a quiet room. My problem is that I don't have the time or a quiet atmosphere during the day to settle my daughter, with a very active toddler in tow! Any tips on transitioning her from a sling would be much appreciated Smile
Bobski1980
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:37 pm 
Post subject:
Not sure if this will help but had a similar problem with my boy where he would settle gone at night but during the day we had to comfort him to sleep, cuddles and occasional rocking. It was strange be used we didn't have to do this at bedtime and I was really worried about self settling and getting him out of the daytime routine of having to sooth him to sleep, but actually he did learn to self settle as he was doing it at night and he just grew out of needing to be soothed during the day, all of a sudden around a year I could just put him in his cot. But if you don't want to wait to see if it resolves whe she's a bit older you could try controlled crying, but I don't think they recommend that until 5 or 6 months off the top of my head x

Eccles85
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:11 am 
Post subject: Advice
Hiya,
Im afraid I dont have much advice to make it better for you but i just wanted to say it does get better i promise.

My DS had colic from pretty much the word go and use to cry uncontrollably from 5/6pm till 11pm,but knackered himself out so much he slept straight through the night. It was horrendous and such a strain on mine and DH's relationship, So i feel your pain. It started to subside between 3/4 months. We continued to try a routine during this time, mainly to train ourselves, and when he grew out of it he pretty much fell into it.

We tried infacol, gripe water you name if and nothing helped. 'Aparently' there is no cure. Something to do with the undeveloped system i think.The only thing that got us through was taking it one day at a time and telling ouselves it will get better.

To help us cope we use to take it in turns to 'deal' with him. My night off i would sometimes go see a friend to just get away from the screaming. Sometimes, one of us would take him for a drive. He would settle in his seat but cry when we got home.

JUST REMEMBER IT DOES GET BETTER...and then the teething begins, haha! But we are supermums and after colic we can cope with anything!!

Good luck xxxxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular