trying to conceive

elephant1
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:06 am 
Post subject: trying to conceive
hi, I am new to babychat, have been trying for a baby for 3 years now, I am 48 years of age, I am ovulating, my periods are 28 day cycle, I am starting to think it will never happen, and its most likely due to my age, I am healthly, has anyone got any advice please
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:38 am 
Post subject:
Id recommend going to your doctors, theyre probably your best option. Be it nhs or private and get some tests for you and your partner, a full fertility check is what Id recommend.
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:26 pm 
Post subject:
It's very hard to say as age affects us all differently when it comes to our eggs, the stats show that fertility declines after forty, so it might take longer than for a woman in her 30's but as long as you do still ovulate and everything is fine physically you are still in with a chance.
Unfortunately egg quality declines as well, so anything you can do to give that a boost is good, so basically avoid anything that causes cell damage like drinking and smoking and even caffeine eat healthily and keep up your levels of the good vits and minerals. Things like Vit C, zinc, selenium, all the B vits, iron and folic acid are very important. To keep your hormones well balanced avoiding too much refined carbs and sugars is a good idea and also exercise helps, but not too much running as apparently it can stop ovulation Rolling Eyes Laughing
It could well be worth seeing your GP for some basic tests though as they should still refer you if necessary as you've been trying for 3 yrs.
I got a referral after trying for 6 months when I was 41 and had all sorts of tests done on the NHS, so don't let anyone try and put you off if you want a referral. If you do go to your GP and they send you to a gynae doc they may suggest clomid, which doesn't greatly improve egg quality but may mean you release 2 or 3 of the eggs that start developing on any given month rather than just one. That gives you more targets for the swimmers if you like and increases the odds of at least one being fertilised and implanting. If your GP isn't helpful you can see a doc privately but would probably have to pay a consultation fee of 150-200 first and then have to pay for a private prescription for the clomid xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular