vbac/section

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:32 pm 
Post subject: vbac/section
I had a section with my son dec last year due to non progression after being induced.

I got pg this time 7/8 months after my section. Originally the doc said i would prob be advised strongly to have another section but does depend on the consultant i get.

When.i had my booking in app my mw said they have a good vbac clinic now so as long as all is well i should be able to go vbac.....so pleasef!!!

She said the reason they section you again is because of chance of repture and they dont like you going to term.

I just wondered if they do let me go vbac will they induce me on due date or let me go overdue??? They say they dont like inducing as it is forcing things on the body and contractions dont build up like they do in natural labour xx

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
Im trying for a vbac this time (though Im doubting my choice now lol) and when I attended a vbac course they said they let you go over 10-12 days. The induction is slightly different in that I think they go straight drip and breaking waters. I'll know more after Tuesday as I have an appointment with my consultant to discuss a plan of dates etc.. So I'll get back to you. x
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:25 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks nutty....getting so close for you now Smile Smile

Will it be different for me as i has a section not long.ago? Xx

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:11 pm 
Post subject:
Quite possibly Erin , so hard to say as each nhs trust seems to have a different policy. I know most trusts do seem to agree that vbacs offer less risks than another section, Im just shi**ing myself because I still dont know what its like to push baby out.
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:06 pm 
Post subject:
The thing is with a vbac health professionals have to shoot themselves in the foot to be able to cover their backs. Basically the reason for your first section would most likely have never happened if you had laboured naturally. In my area they would not leave you as long as someone mentioned above, therefore if you do go over term (which is most likely because babies are not made to arrive on a specific day and each baby is different) they would then induce you and the same could happen again!
health professionals claim theyre for vbac however there are so many rules and trust regulations at the moment they cant possibly. Theyve only recently changed the system saying that women have to dilate 1cm every hour to give us more of a chance. IM currently having thus debate with myself as I'd love more children in the distant future but its a case of do i let labour progress and end up with an emergency c-sec and possibly put me and a possible baby in danger or do you opt for major surgery. Its so difficult. I think in meaning more toward the see if i can get going by myself but give my body a cut off point so i can opt for a c-sec last minute but arranged just to avoid being induced! Sorry for the essay but im currently trying to get in for midwifery and have thought about this alot haha. Good luck with your decision xz
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:10 am 
Post subject:
After having and induction with Archie I wouldn't have another, the c-section rate for induction is so high. I still had Archie naturally but when Charlotte was overdue the tried pressuring me into induction again and I refused, you can be monitoredif you go overdue and if there was problems with the placenta then I wouldnt risk it and be induced hut I really believe induction was partly o blame for my sons health issues.

My point I guess is I would do what I want unless its detrimental to my baby, I dont understand why they push people into inductions when it leads to your experience. I ovulate late so chances are I dont fit the mould of when my baby should be due xx

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:52 am 
Post subject:
I think its going to be tricky because by the time thsd one is due there will only be a 16 month gap! I guess i will just have to wait until my cons appointment which is the same time.as my 12 week scan. Just impatient xx

zachariahelijahmalakaimum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:00 pm 
Post subject:
i had a section with my first two, (both emergency) and there 15 months between them and i have been told i will be having another one (planned apparently lol) and there will be 13 months between them so who knows lol Laughing

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:34 pm 
Post subject:
Erin the risk of rupture is really tiny after a section, it's barely any different than the general populations even if you go overdue as the baby tends to stop growing as much at the end anyway and to be honest the induction with a drip is more likely to cause a rupture than a VBAC is Confused
Chances are you won't go over second time round, or not by as much as first time round anyway but it's your choice as to whether you agree to any sort of induction, they don't do the gel or pessaries as they can travel through the cervix and irritate the scar, but if you were at a point where they could break your waters then it would be the same as for any other woman Smile
Personally I wouldn't have a drip even if I'd never had a section as it's true the contractions don't build like natural ones and it's more likely to stress baby which is often then given as a reason for a section Rolling Eyes maybe if they have stopped this silly 1cm an hour rule as Hayley said then less women will be pushed into drips in labour now anyway Question
But induction isn't something that needs to be done for a VBAC, in fact NICE say the best chance for a VBAC is to treat the woman exactly the same as any other pregnant women Smile , doesn't always happen as Hayley said some hospitals place restrictions on women that set them up to fail, but if it's what you want and you go into it knowing how you want your birth and being firm about not having interference that you don't feel you need then you have a brilliant chance of giving birth naturally Smile xx
Nutty the pushing's the easy part Wink my daughter said she's the same as she had a section for breech last time, but honestly if you got through the contractions last time, that's the worst bit, once you're pushing you're so focused and finally having something positive to do and it's the easiest part (it looks worse than it is if you watch someone else do it Laughing )and the recovery will be so much easier as well which is always a bonus Smile xx
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:00 pm 
Post subject:
I got to fully dilated on no pain relief so I guess thats something. Im just scared of the pushing and potential tearing :/ Will see tomorrow what the consultant says.
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:15 am 
Post subject:
I had stitches after an episiotomy with my first Nutty and they were nothing compared to the c section wound, if they think you might tear they will often just do a little cut, which you don't even feel, but lots of women don't have either.
If you got to fully dilated with no pain relief at all I bet you'll sail through it Very Happy
You're certainly braver than me I was best friends with the gas and air with all the four I got to the end of labour with Laughing xx
libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:40 pm 
Post subject:
I'm having an elcs this time but that's because they are worried about baby size and my scar as I've been in hospital with problems with it.

They may not induce anyway. At our hospital they won't induce if you've had a c section. They let you go a couple of weeks over and then its a c sec

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:51 pm 
Post subject:
Well Ive seen registrar today and he said that they will let me go 2 weeks over and if they induce theyll go straight to breaking waters.
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:07 am 
Post subject:
Hi, my first was a section for breech and I had my next 3 VBAC. With my fourth I was booked for induction at 41 weeks. I went into labour 3 hours before I was due to go in for the induction. When I got to the hosp I was 4cms. So I was left alone to progress but everything stopped. I had to walk around the hosp for a few hours and was eventually put on a drip 4 hours later. When the drip started working the pains came quite quickly and didn't ease. But baby came quickly too.
Hope you get what you want. Xxx

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:43 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for all your replies.

The only thing with North Devon Hospital is there are very c-section happy and hand them out willy nilly! I have been told it also depends on what consultant i get so i have requested to see my old one and luckily i got him. I will have my appointment and dating scan on 4th Nov.

A couple of girls from round here seem to think i will probably be allowed to go to my due date but no further and if possible they will brake my waters if not i will be booked in for another section....i guess i will find out soon xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular