Anyone ever been allowed a vbac after 2 sections??

zachariahelijahmalakaimum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:14 pm 
Post subject: Anyone ever been allowed a vbac after 2 sections??
I really dont want another section but have been told i will be having an elective (the other 2 were emergency sections) this time round

Has anyone ever managed to have a vbac?

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:17 am 
Post subject:
I didn't manage a VBAC but that was only because I got an infection and my son was distressed so they had to get him out quickly, but with my last I was in Germany and they were perfectly happy for me to labour after 2 sections, it was never seen as a problem or a risk Question
My labour was fine until my son became distressed from the infection (my waters had gone 2 days before) and there were no issues at all that were linked to my previous sections.
I was told one or 2 sections shouldn't make a difference as the uterus is very strong and they go in through the same place so in effect it's only one scar anyway Question
I'm shocked that they used words liked 'allowed' with you though, any decisions about the birth of your baby are yours to make, they can give you advice etc. but at the end of the day they can't tell you anything, it's totally up to you and nothing should be forced on you if you aren't happy with it .
If I had managed to conceive after my reversal I would have been going for a VBAC Smile and I've had 3 sections in total but all for different reasons, two of which were down as emergency sections in my records, the first was for placenta praevia .
I'm so glad that I tried for a VBAC with both of the last 2 and am pretty certain I could have managed it with my breech baby if I'd had a more understanding consultant, 3rd time round was just bad luck really that the infection meant they couldn't wait for me to labour and deliver, but I'm still glad I tried Smile it is definitely do-able.
There are some inspiring sites online with women having VBAC's after multiple sections, 2,3 or more Smile one women on a US site was having number 6 when her doc dropped out of treating her and after switching docs and getting more support she decided to go for a VBAC and had a successful VBAC after 5 sections Shocked her other doc had told her she would never give birth and should get sterilised after number 6 Rolling Eyes , she not only had a VBAC with number 6 but went on to have 7&8 as VBACs as well Very Happy
I'd say as long as you have support it is definitely something that can be done, the success rates for VBACs is higher than for a first time mum in general, so most women who want a VBAC will get them and I suspect some who don't it's only because they get undermined by the doctors involved, or have restrictions placed on them Rolling Eyes
It's your decision though, nothing can be forced on you, if you want to give birth naturally they have to respect your decision, that's not to say they won't try to change your mind and some docs will resort to scare tactics, so if it is what you want I'd do some research, take someone with you for back up and go in and tell them you will be having a VBAC, you don't need to ask for permission xxx
zachariahelijahmalakaimum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:05 pm 
Post subject:
thankyou so much hun that has really got me ready to ask more about goin for a vbac before my section xx

xFayeGotBabyDustx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:28 am 
Post subject:
This is my 3rd baby after 2 sections, and I'm having a section too with this one, at first I really wanted to try for a VBAC with it being my last, but to be honest I'm the sort of person who puts my trust into the professionals, after all they know best, they have studied for years to get to where they are, my consultant advised me it was a safer option for both me & my baby to have a section, so as soon as she said the words 'safer option' that's what I'm going with, I'd never want to put myself/baby at risk, I'd never forgive myself if something happened.
There are hundreds of success stories on the Internet for vbacs.......but there are equally the same amount of horror stories too of where things go wrong, please don't think I'm trying to scare you out of trying for VBAC at the end of the day it's your decision, my only advice would be to listen to the consultants first.

No one really wants to be sliced open, have to spend longer in hospital, take longer to recover etc but if its the best way and the safest way why go against it? Good luck with making your decision Hun xxx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:52 am 
Post subject:
That's probably why she said 'safer option' Faye Rolling Eyes to be honest the docs often use whatever key words they feel will get you to do what they want you to.
Their decisions are based on hospital policy which is often put in place by pen pushers with no medical training based on the risk of them being sued if something goes wrong (which it can in any type of birth even a c section)
There are no studies to show that c section is safer in fact all studies have shown that for the mother c section carries more risks than natural birth, and the only study that did seem to show c section was marginally safer for babies was a breech study, and even that has been discredited now .
I used to think like you that's it's best to put your faith in the 'professionals' until I discovered the depths they will sink to to get you to comply with what they want, and if they're always right why are there differing opinions between them Question With my second I was pushed into a c section in labour as I was told my (breech)daughter was in a bad position (outright lie) and also that it would be so 'dangerous' to try naturally that he couldn't guarantee my baby's safety (well when can they ever Question ) he laid it on so thick he scared my OH so I felt obliged to have a c section.
Afterwards I was told my daughter was in the best possible position for a breech birth by a midwife who checked my notes Confused and then I had 2 separate consultants tell me that my chances of a natural delivery were excellent as my labour was progressing well and I'd given birth naturally before.
I also found out that his boss was a grumpy old sod who would probably have been furious at being woken at 4 am to come and deal with me so I suspect that even had something to do with his insistence a c section was the best way Shocked Mad So now I don't have too much faith in docs doing what's in your best interest I'm afraid as often it seems to be either policy following or what's easiest for them Question
After all if you have a VBAC and are considered in their terms 'high risk' they have to get a consultant in to be there when you labour, natural labours are unpredictable and often happen at night, consultants work day time shifts so they'd have to call someone in and pay them extra, on balance they probably consider it easier (for them) and cheaper to just get you to have a c section Question xx

The trouble is in the UK and the US women are often told a c section is 'safer' even after only one previous section, and after two previous sections they're told it's the 'only' way Rolling Eyes when really there's nothing to back that up, but women aren't getting the chance to try and labour and find out so there are no stats compiled Question
As I said the German doctors were fine with me labouring after 2 sections, my consultant there actually qualified in an English Medical school and he really didn't think it would be a problem, and it wasn't Smile my problem was something that couldn't be helped, an infection because my waters broke early Confused
It was totally unrelated to my previous sections and my scar caused no problems at all Question So infection aside I could well have been in the VBAC after 2 sections group Smile
In other countries where c sections aren't performed as often then most women who have one first time round for an emergency in labour will go on to have natural births with their other children, it used to be the case here, right up to the 90's, unfortunately when the whole 'sue everyone' culture came in it made hospitals wary, so many times policies about VBAC are decided on this.
The thing is if you want a VBAC and start off in labour you can always change your mind, if you go the other way then you can't Question
Uterine rupture is incredibly rare, you might find horror stories online, maybe out of all proportion to how rarely it happens as well as people seem more likely to talk about bad experiences than good ones, and with proper care these horror stories should never happen as if there is a problem the signs are easy to spot, but it really is rare and almost as likely if you haven't had a previous section, but they don't section all women based on that Question
So I don't really understand why they use it as almost a stick to beat VBAC women into submission with Question
I'd love to see genuine informed choice on this, which is what a woman is supposed to have, instead she gets opinions, scaremongering and sometimes even bullying.
Anything I was now told by a doctor I would want to see backed up by fact xxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular