Gestational Diabetes Query

Amymel86
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:45 pm 
Post subject: Gestational Diabetes Query
Hi there

I've recently been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and would like to know about other ladies birth experiences as I'm more than a little nervous about it.

I had had my heart set on a water birth but understand now that my hospital will not allow me to have one as I will need to be constantly monitored.

What I'm really worried about is whether or not I will be hooked up to all this equipment with no option but to stay on my back on the bed - I really want to try and stay upright and active for as long as possible.

Also - I've heard that I will probably be induced early?

I'm really interested in hearing anyone else's GD birth experiences.

At the moment I am trying to control my blood glucose level through diet and am doing the finger prick test after each meal. We had our first growth scan last Friday and they said that at the moment our daughter is of normal size.

Thanks in advance.
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:23 am 
Post subject:
Sounds like you are managing it really well through your diet, keep at it and there shouldn't be any problems.

I don't have personal experience but one of my friends had GD and she dieted but it didn't make any difference to her baby and she ended up having a planned C-sec at 38 weeks. Don't let this scare you as we live in a country that likes to cut people open to make more money for the hospital (DXB)!!

They will no doubt keep monitoring you right up to the end and as long as the baby isn't huge then I am sure you will get a natural delivery. Also if the baby is an average size when it comes to delivery I am sure you won't have to be on the monitor constantly and will be able to birth in whatever position you like. At the end of the day you also need to be strong and demand your needs, bearing in mind the safety of your child. As long as his/her heart rate is stable then you don't need to be constantly on the monitor anyway. Don't panic yet Smile Good luck and keep that diet going!
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:33 pm 
Post subject:
I didn't have gd but my friend did and she was induced even though her baby was normal size, 6lb. I wanted a water birth and was in the pool for a while, they broke my waters and there was meconium there so I had to be monitored but they do have a telemetry monitor which they can use in the pool. I had that for while but the signal wasn't very good so I did have to get out in the end. From what I can remember I was up on my knees with the monitor on and didn't end up on my back until I had an epidural. So you could speak to them about having a monitor in the pool if you have to have one and I don't see why you can't change position with one on. At the end of the day it's up to you, you can refuse monitoring they can't touch you with anything unless you consent but I guess you have to weigh up the risks to the baby too, they won't know if baby's getting distressed without one x

Amymel86
Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:31 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your replies ladies!

The last two growth scans have shown that our daughter is in the normal size range and that I am managing the GD well through diet with no need to be put on medication.

Also - originally, I was going to be induced at 38 weeks but as the growth scans have come back with really positive results, they are letting me go to 400 weeks before they will induce. (Yay)! Smile

Unfortunately, they have confirmed that I will not be able to use the birthing pool because the hospital do not possess any monitoring equipment that could be used in the water.

They have said that I can move as much as the wires will allow.

Another growth scan next Friday - wish me luck!!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular