Maternity pay rant!!

ladygaga
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:12 pm 
Post subject: Maternity pay rant!!
Im so annoyed and sorry just need to vent. Just got home from work and read through their maternity policy that ive been handed. Turns out I will not get either their 'occupational' maternity package or SMP from them, both of which I have been employed long enough to get, but I wont because I dont earn quite enough to pay National Insurance!!!

So f****g [*CENSORED*] off now, I work two full days a week and just because I dont earn quite enough to have to pay NI, I can go whistle for any mat pay from them. Not naming any names but they are a big organisation. All I can do, from what I can read, is apply for maternity allowance from the government and hope I get that!!

Why should I be penalised and not get the perks of my employers policy, just because im on a lower wage Crying or Very sad Mad Mad

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:42 pm 
Post subject:
The rules for SMP are set down from the government as I *think* the employer claims it back, so it would be the same everywhere, if you dont earn enough you wont get it.

As for the companies policy I cant say, as any extra maternity pay is decided by themselves.

ladygaga
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:46 pm 
Post subject:
I just dont get it, the government doesnt take my NI from me because I dont earn enough for them to do so. I still earn £100 plus a week which pays our mortgage. Whether I have to pay NI or not, I still cant live without that money for 9 months, especially with a new baby.

xTEGx
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:00 pm 
Post subject:
I'd double check to be 100% sure. Sorry if the link below doesn't work but look at this website, especially from page 20 onwards. Because you say you earn over £100, I think it will be very close whether you qualify or not and I'd hate to think that maybe you do and you didn't double check. Sometimes you can't just go on what your employers say or what information they give to you.

www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/e15.pdf

All the best.
xTx
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:54 am 
Post subject:
ladygaga wrote:
I just dont get it, the government doesnt take my NI from me because I dont earn enough for them to do so. I still earn £100 plus a week which pays our mortgage. Whether I have to pay NI or not, I still cant live without that money for 9 months, especially with a new baby.

The whole benefit system sucks. When my ex got made redundant after working for the same company for 14 years, we were told he could get JSA for 6 months after that nothing, and I was only going back to work part time, earning about £500 a month!

dizziblonde
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:57 am 
Post subject:
Omg.. just been reading this.. I very rarely pay NI since they changed the pay threshold Im now concerned I wont be entitelled either... annoying as I never asked not to pay tax.. it was the government. . Can you not get extra help from tax credits?
ladygaga
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:38 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for input ladies Wink Its awful, maternity pay from your company shouldnt even be classed as benefits should it really. Like you say dizziblonde, not our choice not to pay the National Insurance. If we earn below the threshold, then we dont pay automatically, thats done through payroll. They dont tell you that you wont be entitled to any company maternity pay or smp through them do they or ask you if you want to pay volunatry NI. Its just a smack in the teeth, I work, whether it be two days or not, £100 or £500, I still deserve to get my maternity pay.

Only alternative is to go direct to the government to apply for maternity allowance.

ladygaga
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:51 pm 
Post subject:
And thanks for the link TEG, having a browse now Smile

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
isn't the gov maternity allowance the same as statutory smp anyway?
I was working 5 full days a week before I had my little one and a family friend was not working, I remember being shocked she got the same maternity money as me but hers was direct from the gov.
Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:27 pm 
Post subject:
1. Overview

Maternity Allowance is usually paid to you if you donít qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay.

You could get either £136.78 a week or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is lower). Itís paid for up to 39 weeks.

You can claim Maternity Allowance as soon as youíve been pregnant for 26 weeks. Payments can start 11 weeks before your baby is due.

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular