Hycosy Appt and cost

MrsZargon
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:53 am 
Post subject: Hycosy Appt and cost
Hi ladies,

Well AF arrived yesterday so I got on the phone to try to book my hycosy and the only date they could offer me was 4th Sept Shocked That's CD 24!!!!!!! I got them to put me through to the private hospital x ray department next door to the NHS one and spoke to a very nice lady who was very sympathetic and said she had recently spoken to lots of other ladies trying to get hycosy appointments that were on their 4/5 month of trying!! She's making a few enquires for me to see if the guy that does it could fit me in next Monday but to my horror he will charge £470 to do the procedure!!! I rang another private clinic to see what their prices were like and they were also 4 hundred and something so guess that's the going rate!

That's such a lot of money to us - I mean we can afford to pay that but not without wiping it off our relatively meagre holiday budget which prob means that the last minute trip we were planning for sept would have to be shelved! What do you think I should do? Wait for a few more months and see if I can get an NHS appt? I get very stressed out by things like that so wondering if I should just pay and get it done and out of the way Sad
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:05 am 
Post subject:
Id just wait for the 4th September appointment to be honest its not that far away and just take a month off of trying for that cycle. I wouldnt go spending £400 odd pounds when you can get seen in 3 weeks.
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:24 am 
Post subject:
I would have paid if I'd had to wait months for mine, I rang round as soon as the Gynae cons gave me the referral for mine as I expected to end up waiting months on the NHS at the window was so small (between AF and cd 10 at that hospital. I've found though living fairly close to Manchester that if you ring the private clinics that are in or near to the city centres the prices are much higher as their overheads are higher, if you can travel a bit further out it might well be cheaper, I was quoted £280 by the Spire hospital where I had my reversal which was in Macclesfield and yet the Spire hospital in Manchester wanted much more, it was the same for my reversal but then it was over a £1,000 more they wanted Shocked
If I was in your shoes I'd be racking my brains trying to come up with a way to not be on cd24 for the NHS one, the only thing I can think of there is going on the combined pill asap for a couple of weeks in the hope that would stop ov and when I'd stopped taking it the withdrawal bleed would kick start a new cycle Question , or you can take Noresthisterone it stops AF while you're taking it and then induces one when you stop, but I've only ever taken it to delay AF overall for a procedure so don't know how successful it would be taken at the beginning of a cycle Question Or you could just decide not to TTC this month if they will do it on that day Sad (did they not say cd21 was the last cycle day they do them there Question )
It's tricky though isn't it, as a holiday can be a great help when you're stressed from TTC but then having to wait months is horrible too, I think on balance for me I'd probably pay and get it sooner but I'd still ring round a few clinics maybe a bit further away and see what they're charging, it's such a personal thing though, I know some of the reversal ladies have been offered HSG's and decided not to have them, as they'd rather not know but for me it would have driven me crazy and I wanted to find out ASAP Question
I don't know if it says on the letter you have but you should have someone to drive you home afterwards as sometimes they'll suggest giving you a muscle relaxant if they think your tubes are spasming and you can't drive after it as it affects your eyes, I had it and my eyes were blurred for about 2 hrs after .
Is there only one NHS hospital you can use as well ?
As when I spoke to the Gynae reception Lady when I got my referral she said to try a particular one first on the list of about 4 I was given as it had the shortest waiting times, but in my area you can pick the hospital you want to be treated at, not sure if it's the same all over Question xx
MrsZargon
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:25 am 
Post subject:
Hi nutty thanks for your reply. I can't take the 4th appointment because it's outside the days where you can have the procedure done - my letter says only up to cd21 and I believe lots of other places say even less than that, so at the very minimum I have to wait til next AF and then ring again and take a chance they can fit me in then you are not allowed to book ahead if that makes sense? So I could be faced with the same problem each month where I ring and there are no appointments within the 21day window!
MrsZargon
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:34 am 
Post subject:
Hi DL05 yes they did say cd21 so they wouldn't do the procedure on the 4th anyway! The system seems ridiculous to me I have regular cycles so surely it would make sense if I could book ahead I'd only be a day out either side!! We live in surrey so I suspect the costs will be similar for a long way and probably not worth the stress or cost of petrol to travel further! I can't use another hospital as am under a specific consultant now so referral for hycosy just for that hospital. I think you are right I might just do it - until I have it one it will eat away at me wondering if there could be a problem there and also affects whatever we decide to do afterwards re: IVF or whatever so I guess I'm just going to have to pay!!
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17 am 
Post subject:
It's a pain isn't it with the way the system is, it was the same for me you had to ring on the first day of AF and hope they could fit you in, with it being such a small window there I really expected to have to get it privately or wait months and I know a few reversal ladies had to wait 4 or 5 months to get the right date, they also don't take into account irregular cycles some women might not even have ov'd on cd21 but they still wouldn't do it Rolling Eyes and if you have PCOS it must be a nightmare with the timing , it's such a shame you don't have the choose and book system as up here I saw the Gynae at our local hospital, where they don't do HSG's anyway but then could pick from other NHS hospitals just for the HSG and then go back to my local one for the follow up and any treatment, makes so much more sense letting people choose to book at a hospital where they have a shorter waiting list I can't understand why all NHS areas don't do it Question
You're probably right about costs down there, I know a few ladies from the London area travelled quite a way for reversals as the minute you're past Birmingham heading south the costs shoot up Rolling Eyes
I'd say on balance if not knowing would ruin your holiday anyway then you might as well pay and get some answers Question The good thing about going private is they seem to be more accommodating as well and you should get a report there and then as well whereas sometimes with the NHS HSG's they just tell you the basics and then you have to wait for the follow appointment weeks later to get details , Good luck if you go for it on Monday xx
MrsZargon
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:09 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks I have gone ahead and booked for Monday 4:30 feeling like its a weight off my mind now no more waiting and fretting over getting an appointment! Just need to not think about the cost of it - a bit like paying for a wedding - just roll with it now we've made the decision and not think about what else we could be spending it on! Besides if we end up needing IVF that's going to be a whole other level of cost Shocked
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:43 pm 
Post subject:
Glad you've got it booked now anyway Smile and looking on the bright side if everything's fine it means you're statistically in with a better chance of conceiving for the next 3 months after you have it done Smile Will be keeping my fingers crossed it all goes well for you xx
MrsZargon
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks will let you know how I get on x
Flomo3
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:14 pm 
Post subject:
Hi where did you have it done that it cost 400?? I've had quotes of around 700
MrsZargon
Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Flomo3 it was at the Runnymede hospital which is the private hospital on the same site as St. Peter's nhs hospital in Chertsey. Just wanted to say that when the bill came it was only 364 so even more of a bargain Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular