hypnotherapy in pregnancy/labour

zachariahelijahmalakaimum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:20 pm 
Post subject: hypnotherapy in pregnancy/labour
anyone ever tried or know anyone who has had hypnotherapy in pregnancy and/or in labour as my counsellor for my pnd has surgested it to me today x

Amymel86
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:59 pm 
Post subject:
I haven't I'm afraid but a friend of mine said that the breathing techniques she learnt in pregnancy yoga classes really really helped her cope with the pain. (not the same I know - but I would imagine breathing techniques are a big part of hypno).

I kind of like the idea of trying something like hypno - would like to stay calm ( or as calm as I can)!

I know you can get some hypno-birthing cds/dvds on amazon.
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:35 pm 
Post subject:
I've never tried specific hypnotherapy techniques as it wasn't really around then as such but I did find I went into a sort of self hypnotic state in my labours just by using breathing techniques and visualisation and talking calmly to myself and sort of blanking other people and distractions out and it did really help as far as staying calm and in control Smile

I did use gas and air at some points as well as well mind you Laughing but to be honest I think I just used that to help with the breathing techniques as you have to take long slow deep breaths for it to work, and to give me something to focus on rather than as actual pain relief.
I do sort of think some of pain is just in our heads as well so if you tell your brain something hurts or you think it's going to it will (in fact it's been scientifically proven that if you tell people something will hurt more they feel more pain even if you did the same thing to them you did last time when they felt no pain Question Laughing )and you'll become more tense and then perceive more pain, so for me being able to consciously relax rather than tense with each contraction did really help and I felt them more as pressure and discomfort rather than actual pain so I'd say it sounds like a good idea Smile
The more relaxed you can be the more naturally your labour progresses as well so its all good really Smile xx
Bobski1980
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:14 pm 
Post subject:
I was thinking of trying this myself as I can only describe my labour pains as 'the most absolutely unimaginable excruciating painful experience of my life and beyond my wildest dreams I never thought that much pain was possible'... So I thought of I could get myself into a trance like state and concentrate that would be fab as I did not want another epidural. But my consultans has just told me its likely I will have another big baby and instrumental delivery so has told me very advisable I have an epidural. I would be interested to know how you find that as I've heardist women find it very positive x

Amymel86
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:42 pm 
Post subject:
Bobski1980 wrote:
I was thinking of trying this myself as I can only describe my labour pains as 'the most absolutely unimaginable excruciating painful experience of my life and beyond my wildest dreams I never thought that much pain was possible'... So I thought of I could get myself into a trance like state and concentrate that would be fab as I did not want another epidural. But my consultans has just told me its likely I will have another big baby and instrumental delivery so has told me very advisable I have an epidural. I would be interested to know how you find that as I've heardist women find it very positive x

'the most absolutely unimaginable excruciating painful experience of my life and beyond my wildest dreams I never thought that much pain was possible'..... Shocked Shocked Shocked

HOLY HELL - now I'm scared! Smile
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:50 am 
Post subject:
Sorry Hun that's how it was for me but not every woman experiences pain this bad, some woman find it very manageable but I really didn't. But no point sugar coating it, it is painful to some extent but there are different pain relief options to you if you want them Very Happy thankfully x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular