Had pre-clampsia last time

emsmummy2010
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:16 pm 
Post subject: Had pre-clampsia last time
I had pre-clampsia with my first baby and had to have emergency c-section 3 days later as i didnt go past 2 cm and baby distressed. I was told id have to be consultant lead next time, whats the difference between consultant lead & midwife? Can i have a normal birth or c-section again?
Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:44 pm 
Post subject:
Hi...it may not be the same thing but I have had to change the hospital that I am to give birth at to a consultant lead unit because I have Gestational Diabetes and I will need to be monitored closely throughout my labour.
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:40 am 
Post subject:
Im consultant led as well, up until 28 odd weeks I didnt notice a difference and didnt even see any consultant :/ It was only because I started measuring big I started seeing one regular for scans. Im trying for a vbac this time and theyve done nothing but encourage it so I see no reason why they wont want you to try too. The way they have put it to me a natural birth offers much lower risks than opting for a 2nd section. x
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:42 pm 
Post subject:
You will have a doctor at your birth as well as a midwife! xx
Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:52 pm 
Post subject:
I'm not sure if this is the same but I'm also consultant led because my first baby was big and I had very bad post partum haemorrhage. My consultants basically said they will keep an eye on me and I'm having an extra sizing scan at 36 weeks. I also get a drug to try to stop a bleed should I have one again. So I know they are looking after me during my pregnancy but they haven't said anything about whether I will have one at the birth. X

emsmummy2010
Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:02 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for replies, got midwife appointment next week so will probably know more then. I have hospital on my door step but most of it is closed so hoping i will see midwife there like last time and not have to travel an hour to the other hospital just because they have consultants there.i had check ups at my hospital but thats all they do so i have to go to other for birth.
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:07 pm 
Post subject:
Heya, I had preeclampsia last time. I have been prescribed baby dose aspirin this time (meant to be taken from 12 weeks, however the midwives couldn't provide me any evidence of why that's a good idea, saw consultant today and will probably start it next week - bit besides the point though sorry!!! But you may have the same recommendation).

The main differences this time are I'm having a meeting at 24 weeks with consultant (to decide whether I'm on a red pathway or not - probably won't decide though it's too soon), from 28 weeks blood pressure checks every two weeks, from 36 weeks blood pressure checks weekly. Any changes will be responded to quickly and action will be taken sooner.

I have also been reading that low sodium/healthy diet (in hope of reducing/maintaining bmi healtily) may help but that's iffy and tbh my diet isn't great atm as I got into the habit of eating what I could in first tri.

Last time I was induced at 37+4, had an extremely fast but 'normal' birth, everyone was fine. This time I am hoping to use the midwife led unit rather than hospital ward (it's much further away since we moved and I want to be near our son), but at the moment it's a definite no - they may change that if I get to 37+ weeks with no issues at all, a hint of a problem I will be in the ward though.

I would imagine they will discuss some of this with you and you should have the opportunity for a vbac. Because you've had pe before your chances of getting it again are quite a bit higher than with someone in a second pg without a history of pe (BUT still lower than a first pg apparently :/), also if you are having this baby with a different partner your chances are greatly increased again....however...it's very unpredictable so the chances are until/unless something actually happens, being consultant lead will just mean more monitoring Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular