Screaming baby after feeding!

Madymaddox123
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:26 am 
Post subject: Screaming baby after feeding!
I just had a 10lb baby boy September 7th he drinks about 4ozs every feeding I try to balance 2oz of breast milk and 2oz of similac formula for fussiness and gas,
He has just started screaming looking like he is in so much pain after he eats,
He throws his fists, around turns red, shakes his head, screams, kicks his legs straight out sometes or sometimes he will bring them to his chest.. I don't know what's wrong y dad is a rn and thought it could be very bad gas and colic but I bought some medicine I can give him three doses in thirty minutes seems to calm him for only a short short period of time. His crying and screaming lasts a minimum of 5 minutes and can last up to an hour and thirty minutes
His poop is normal the medicine on the box said it can change his poop and not to be alarmed.. He is my big tank it kills me to see him screaming, he also spits up cottatge cheese like spit up..
Please help.. Maybe I should change his formula?
My father and also my brother couldn't drink regular formula my brother couldn't process protein and y dad had to be put on soy formula...
Any tips would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Mady
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:34 am 
Post subject:
If you're breastfeeding I'd drop the formula altogether as it's the most likely culprit, you saying it looks like cottage cheese sounds like it's curdling in his stomach and not being digested Question
Is it PKU your brother has ? As this is normally tested for in the U.K. with the routine heel prick test shortly after birth, so if you're in the U.K. it's unlikely to be that or it should have been picked up, if you live elsewhere I don't know if it's routinely tested for, but intolerance to cows milk which is basically what formula is, is quite common. There is some debate about if it's a good idea to give babies soy milk so I would research the pro's and cons and speak to a doctor before trying it, but honestly if he has intolerances then exclusive breastfeeding might be the way to go. The more you feed him the more you'll produce so don't worry about not having enough milk, Good luck xx
Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:52 pm 
Post subject:
I would definitely go to a DR before giving soy milk as that is not recommended unless its really necessary. It sounds like colic or reflux to me - this is often associated with an intolerance to cows milk - which is what formula is made of.

I solely breastfed my daughter and she had awful colic from 2 weeks old until she was 4 1/2 months old and is still showing signs of milk intolerance now. (Colief is the only thing that worked for her - it helps break down the lactose in milk)

I personally would stop giving the formula and breastfeed completely - its not recommended for you to combination feed until your milk production is established anyway as your milk production can be effected. Though as I said my daughter was still getting colic when only being breastfed but the chances of colic is lower.

Good Luck

x x

]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular