Period 17 days after positive OPK, long leutal phase?

jojo36
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:17 am 
Post subject: Period 17 days after positive OPK, long leutal phase?
Hi ladies, just a bit of advice needed as I'm getting a bit confused by my OPK. My cycles are irregular, generally 29 - 35 days. I use a OPK's and look at my CM to try and work out when I'm ovulating. I have heard that you need to have sex on the lead up to ovulation so as soon as I get the EWCM me and my husband have sex every other day and then I use the OPK in conjunction with this, and when I get the positive we have sex that day and the next. So I don't think I'm missing ovulation and I'm sure I'm doing the right thing in having sex in the lead up to ovulation... but then when I get my period it's usually 17 days after the OPK has given me a positive result! Am I ovulating a couple of days after I get the positive result or is it just a long leutal phase. I was under the impression regardless of how long your cycle is you ovulate around 14 days before your period? Where am I going wrong? Now I think I may have been missing my ovulation altogether by stopping having sex too soon in the month? So confused Sad
kas123
Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:45 am 
Post subject:
you will ovulate between 12-32 hours after getting a positive opk. so you may be having a 15-16 day LP. which falls within the normal range. doctors say to do bed every other day though out he month not only does this keep other halfs production up and fresh but also there should always be fresh to cover you no matter when you ovulate. good luck on your journey and don't get to unhearted if it doesn't happen staight away.
jojo36
Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:04 pm 
Post subject:
thank you for your reply. We have been trying for 7 months now and I know it can take time. I already have a LO at home (21 months) but I'm 39 now so each month it just feels like things are stacked against me. But I know I need to keep positive. So really if I get the positive with the OPK, say on a Mon, I may not be actually ovulating until late Tues or early Wed? This would make sense and then my LP may be like you say, 15-16 days long. Is hard when your husband works 60 plus hours a week and is shattered, is the last thing he feels like doing LOL
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:17 am 
Post subject:
It can go either way with the OPK's because the hormones can have been in your blood for a while before they appear in your urine so you can have actually already ovulated by the time you get a positive especially with a short surge, whereas some women will have surges that last for a couple of days and not ovulate until maybe 2-3 days even after the first positive. You could have a long luteal phase, getting your period 17 days after ovulation if that was the day of your pos OPK would make it 16 days anyway as you don't count the day you get AF,16 days isn't that long I've heard of 19 + day luteal phases, in a way its a good sign that you have a strong corpus luteum after ov or you might not ov straight away, so you could well ov the day you get the positive OPK but I'd carry on doing the OPK's until they're not positive anymore just to check as once the levels of LH drop it's a sure sign that the egg is about to pop.
Although in theory sperm can survive in your body for a few days for some couples the better they can get the timing the more chance they have and it may be that you do only ov a day or two later than you think and it's when you're actually ovulating and your ewcm is at it's stretchiest that it's the easiest for sperm to get through and actually survive long enough to fertilise an egg.
Good Luck x
jojo36
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:32 am 
Post subject:
Thank you so much DL05, that makes total sense what you put. OPKs are not totally on the money so to say, so I could probably get the timing a bit better. Because I've been a bit suspicious of the OPKs in the past I kinda use them as a back up if you like, and when I start to get the EWCM we start having sex then, and I then usually get the positive OPK a day or two later so this does all make sense. But I do see what you are saying, I may ovulating the day I get the surge, or I may actually be ovulating a day or two later. I think we just need to carry on doing what we are doing and carry on having sex every other day post the positive OPK, to cover all basis. My poor husband. I know everyone says the men should lap it up but I think mine has had enough! LOL
happyhell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:37 am 
Post subject:
Totally agree with what DL05 said. Have you stayed using fertility friend? Helped me map out my fertility Peru well, I am trying to be as observational add possible with EWCM ect. Also I have found that for me taking specific vitamins, b50 seems to make ovulation really obvious.

Good luck i am now on the same journey as you x
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:44 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Happyhell29, My LO was born Feb 2012, he is coming up to the terrible twos and he is a right little handful, but a delight at the same time LOL Thank you for your reply. Can I ask, what is fertility friend, is it a ovulation calculator or something. I find those ovulation calculators really frustrating, because my cycle varies from month to month. I take Elevit tablets and I think they have all the specifics in them. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 3 years ago but am medicated so that should not be an issue now. I had my son after my diagnosis. I think it's just my age, so I need to have realistic expectations and be patient. Do you mind me asking how old you are (chances are you are younger than me!) and did it take you long to fall the first time? The reason why I ask is that I wonder whether to some degree it's just totally out of our control. Again, managing my own expectations is going to help me keep patient Smile
happyhell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:43 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hon. I'm 31 now. I didn't take long to fall first time once I figured out when I was fertile. Hobby works away so we were having sex at totally the wrong time at first.

I'm a massive fan of the book taking charge of your fertility. My cycle is not reliable and before I had my HTC little girl my cycles would be anywhere up to 50 days. I cut out all sweetner and aspartame and reduced as much rubbish out of my diary as possible. I started drinking full fat milk and advised anything over processed. So while I would not eat chewing gum I would still get a nice pizza from the real Italian near me. When I started eating well and taking my felt I feel within 3 months. To be honest although my pregnancy was awful and stressful due to many instances of bleeding ect , I have never ever gone back to eating badly. I got mega fat when I pregnant s I stress ate but since then I've enjoyed eating well.

Im sorryv if I sound like a Nutter but I believe diet is massively important to fertility. Although I drink very little I did drink the month I fell, mainly red wine and a few baileys. It was xmas!! I could not afford acupuncture ect so got a healthy as I could

Fertility friend maps your cervical mucus and symptoms. I never took temperatures so this helped. I paid for the vip thing but the free app is just as good. Once you figure out your ovulation date its always right when my period should occur. And it's great if you have irregular cycles. You need to know, or start to record when your periods have occurred the more months data you have the better it is at predicting.

Have you had any
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:44 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry my message got too big and sent automatically!

How long have you been trying for number two? Xx
Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:25 am 
Post subject:
haha, no you don't sound like a nutter. Yes I do believe diet is important for fertility, but I've never been one of those people that thinks I need to cut certain things out of my diet, or should I say I'm not prepared to do it. Don't get me wrong if I ate a lot of junk of drank too much then of course I would pull in the reigns a bit. But I'm generally healthy, eat well and am a healthy weight and I eat a balanced diet. My LO keeps me fit as I don't sit down and he doesn't walk anywhere... he runs! I will have a look at the app on fertility friend when I get a moment. Sounds like it would be good for me, having irregular cycles. That's what does my head in, with an irregular cycle how do you know when you will ovulate if it changes every month?! I have a record of all my cycles i.e when I get my period so I'm hoping this will help. We have been trying for 7 months now, which I know isn't that long, considering I'm 39. I had a Hcosy and lap before I fell pregnant with my LO and all came back clear, no endo, no blocked tubes etc etc, so in that respect everything is in working order. BTW, I was 10 months pregnant at Xmas time and I treated myself to a glass of champagne and a couple of baileys too!
happyhell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
Hey hon. Honestly get a copy of taking charge of your fertility. Mine was second hand and I can tell bang on from my cervical mucus exactly when I am going to ovulate. It's amazing for those like us with cycles.

I'm on a really long day at work today so will message you more tomorrow but I certainly don't think your she means you should feel negative. Health counts for a lot more than age I think x
Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:22 pm 
Post subject:
thank you happyhell29. I will try and find a copy of taking charge of your fertility. I tend to get the EWCM for about 3 days and that is when we time our sex for. But yes I reckon I need to carry this onto a few days later into my cycle. Timing is everything so to say. Did you say you are trying again for no. 2??
happyhell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:16 pm 
Post subject:
Hey hon. Honestly get a copy of taking charge of your fertility. Mine was second hand and I can tell bang on from my cervical mucus exactly when I am going to ovulate. It's amazing for those like us with cycles.

I'm on a really long day at work today so will message you more tomorrow but I certainly don't think your she means you should feel negative. Health counts for a lot more than age I think x
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular