"Natural labour" tips for pain relief?

Cleggy09
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:19 pm 
Post subject: "Natural labour" tips for pain relief?
Hello ladies! Thriving in my pregnancy and having a little boy Smile I weigh less this time alot less, and am healthier minutes my pelvic pains and bad back ache, alot of people told me that if you suffer with back ache and pelvis problems chances are an epidural will be the better option, as my daughter I had complications (weighed at least 18 stone and 2 failed epidurals one successful, 4 hours of pushing 75 hours of labour, final rushed to theatre with forceps delivery)
So yeah it was really bad and traumatic, and I am worried, I was induced too, I'm hoping I can go into labour on my own and avoide an epidural as it really slowed everything down :/ so are there any useful tips I can try to help my self through the pain and be really brave, because honestly it petrifies me lol
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:21 pm 
Post subject:
Stay calm, relax and breath through the pain. I only used gas and air with my son after they broke my waters as the labour then progressed and within 20 minutes he was born. Before that I managed really well and funding a good position can help. I'm not sure whether tens machines are any good but that may be an option. I can totally understand your worries with the first labour. Try to stay active in this pregnancy. My sisters first was a long one ending up with forceps and she was induced too. Her second was much easier and no induction.

Congrats on the boy and honestly it will be fine.
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:43 pm 
Post subject:
With my daughter I had a completely natural labour with no pain relief at all, it was 16 hours from first contraction to birth.

I personally feel that it was relatively quick because I had kept active throughout my pregnancy and remained stood for most of my labour. I found the only comfortable position was stood swaying my hips and I used the breathing techniques to help with the contractions.

When I went into hospital I ended up on my side because my daughter was back to back but next time I'm definitely going to ask to remain stood and hopefully have enough time for a water birth.

Definitely don't panic, definitely don't tense up and don't be bullied into something you're not comfortable with.

I went into hospital with the plan that I didnt want any pain relief but I didnt make it a big issue, if I needed something I would have it! There is nothing wrong with having pain relief if you are struggling with the pain but at the same time there's going to be some pain but it doesnt last forever!!
Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:15 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you ladies, unfortunately I'm not a very active person so don't know if its safe for me to be quite active so close to my due date? Drs told me if your not active before don't take on too much, but I have begun to walk almost everywhere, but I will look at keeping my self active when labour starts so that gravity gives me a healing hand Smile and do breathing Smile
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:47 am 
Post subject:
I think they mean don't suddenly start jogging or strenuous activity when they say don't suddenly start doing too much and it's probably more because your ligaments are looser and you're more likely to strain something than because it's dangerous Question
It's perfectly safe to be active in labour as in walking about and trying to stay upright, even sitting on a ball rather than lying on a bed helps.
Swimming is a great exercise you can start in pregnancy for all round exercise and toning it's good for stamina as well and it has the added bonus of being relaxing Smile
My top tip would be staying active to deal with the pain, walk about to help the babys head come down which really helps get contractions going and helps with dilation and rocking your hips or swaying from side to side maybe while leaning over the bed can help take the pressure off during contractions, you can use gas and air sat on a ball if it helps and you don't have to be confined to a bed with it. Breathing techniques also really help with staying relax and calm which in turns helps with pain levels, if you're tense you feel pain more.
Try not to think of contractions as painful they're mostly just pressure but if you expect pain then that's what you'll feel, each one brings you closer to your baby so I just tried to concentrate on that Smile
I'd also stay at home as long as you feel comfortable with, as just travelling to hospital can slow things down in the early stages, being in a comforting environment can really help and at home you can just potter about and have a bath if you feel like it.
Second time round most women go into labour on their own, it tends to be a shorter first stage and a much shorter second and third stage with pushing often just minutes second time round. I think you worry more second time round and usually it's much quicker and simpler second time round xx
Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:47 pm 
Post subject:
I didn't mean running or work out or anything, just walking, shopping, cleaning, organising baby stuff, getting out and about. Very Happy

I just feel some women end up on the sofa and get very unfit during their pregnancy, which means they have no stamina for the labour Laughing - I had to push for 2 hours (because my daughter was back to back and in my opinion because I was laid down), there's no way I would have managed that if I had been unfit. I may have ended up with forceps or vontuce (sp)or even a CS, who knows?! Shocked

Don't do anything too strenuous but just keep moving, doing bits and bobs! I hope it goes well! x x

To add - I really tried to not stress about the pain, even when it was building I kept thinking about the fact that it would be fading again within seconds. A few deep breaths and it would be over, a few hip sways or steps. I didn't think about the next contraction either, what would be the point in worrying about the pain returning!
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:04 pm 
Post subject:
I too had a pretty traumatic labour with my first I too was over 18 stone and needed forceps. I however had only gas and air for pain relief and didn't make it to theatre (ouchies!!)
With each subsequent pregnancy I've lost weight and except my last due to the circumstances each labour got easier. I had no pain relief with my second, third or fourth.

My advice:
Stay calm, breathe through the pain, try to stay mobile (if possible), while you aren't contracting think of anything that doesn't involve any pain,

with my first, second and fourth I was strapped to the bed because of heart monitors. With my third I was allowed to walk around use a birthing ball and be active. My third was by far the easiest so keeping active during the labour and letting gravity do it's job REALLY does help.

Good luck xx
Zacky was born June 26th 2011
Pip was born October 17th 2012
Spencer was born 5th August 2013 (6 weeks early)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular