Less than a month to Christmas!

StaceyRD
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:38 am 
Post subject: Less than a month to Christmas!
Are you all looking forward to Christmas this year?
How are your preparations going?
Where will you be spending Christmas this year and who with?

I am excited to start new traditions with my babes and can't wait to have a lovely family day together, just the 4 of us again this year. Our family live 4+hrs away so we unfortunately won't be spending it with them but hopefully next year. I finished shopping for George and Isabelle for both birthdays and Christmas a few weeks back but finally finished shopping for family yesterday. Have done a big bulk of wrapping already.

Just a nosey post!
xx

DueInSpring
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:57 am 
Post subject:
I'm really looking forward to Christmas too Very Happy I thought I'd bought everything and had Christmas all wrapped and sorted but just can't resist the bargains and now I have another pile to wrap Aaarggh

What are you doing food wise this year? Traditional or something else? I am buying a turkey crown and going traditional Smile x
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:03 am 
Post subject:
I am not going shopping anymore, bargains are awful!! Laughing

Not sure really, we don't have a lot of money this year and normally have roasts once a week so I thought maybe getting a gammon joint or one of those ready stuffed joints Smile xx

DueInSpring
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:10 am 
Post subject:
I love doing a gammon cooked in cider in the slow cooker to slice up on Boxing Day. Boxing day is aka buffet day in our house. I cook up the finger food munch, make salads, serve cold meats, quiches etc and serve it at about 2pm and everyone just picks all day. Means I can pretty much chill and kids can play with their new toys and eat as/when they fancy. Mum did it when I was a child and I loved not having that set routine for 1 day.

I went past Iceland the other day and they have frozen joints ready to roast so I'm going to have a look in there once we've emptied the freezer and see what things they have got. I think their finger food is fab too x
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:13 am 
Post subject:
Oooh boxing day/buffet day sounds fab, I may have to steal that one Wink
We haven't really had our own traditions yet but want to start now the kids are more involved! Tree will be going up the weekend after George turns 2 (no idea how that is so soon!!). Am making a Christmas Eve box for my two with some crafts, puzzles, dvd, hot choc etc.
Sounds like you've got it all prepared! x

DueInSpring
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:39 am 
Post subject:
We are doing a Christmas Eve box too Smile Doing Christmas mug, hot chocolate sachet, some mini mashmallows, candy cane, new jammies and a Christmassy dvd for us all to watch. I want to get them each an elf too. My friend said Card Factory sells them Smile xx
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:19 pm 
Post subject:
It is our first Christmas with LO so I can't wait (even though she won't have a clue).

We're going to my parents this year who are only 25 min drive away then to OHs family on boxing day. We have always taken it in turns every year but think we'll let them both have one 'turn' with LO then start our own traditions.

Have bought everything I think, finished my maternity leave a few weeks ago so was determined to get organised before I went back to work.

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:45 pm 
Post subject:
im doing so bad with presents this year Sad im normally done about now.. and i have no clue what to buy charlie!! i have a few for alice and im about done for lewis but i only have a couple of stocking fillers for charlie.. we have christmas eve bags for the boys and alice will get new pjs Smile i love christmas eve i think more than actual christmas day! we sit late afternoon in new pjs watching dvds and drinking hot chocolate! this year is the first time we're having christmas dinner at home we're usually at my mother in laws, we're going there in the afternoon though for 'festive fun' though (they only live next door) xx
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:27 pm 
Post subject:
I have made a start on our presents, but have loads to get. I have 3 sisters so we have decided instead if doing presents for each sister, partner and nieces and nephews we each have one family to buy for. We spend 100 no matter how many are in heir family. I have 4 children, my other sister has 4 and one has 2. My eldest sister hasn't any and it was costing her a fortune, so her and her partner get the 100 spent on them.
My parents live in Ireland so we don't see them at Christmas, my oh's family live close so we go to their house for a champagne breakfast and presents. His mum cooks a turkey crown and we take half home for our lunch.
For the rest of the holidays we just go with the flow.

happyhell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:56 pm 
Post subject:
I love Christmas threads! !!!

Im off Christmas and working new year. Faith is only going to be 15 months so she still has no clue.

Every Christmas Eve hubby and I have champagne and watch is a wonderful life. We have a buffet for two and only watch the film once a year so it's special.

Christmas day we tend to visit both sets of parents and then head home. .. this might be the first Christmas we have dinner at ours for just us three.... his parents don't even have a Christmas dinner or any type of celebration meal and instead have their dinner on their knee infront of the tv like every other meal! !! Last year they had sandwiches and it was so so miserable. No party hats or crackers.

Anyway hubby said that we have to go to his parents one year even though they are bloody bah humbugs. I have refused. I won't eat my Christmas dinner off my knee infront of the telly when they have a table ect. We have had big arguments over it but as far as I am concerned they can come to us and have dinner here but im not putting myself or daughter through that.

Guess what? They refuse to come here saying they want us to go to them and that the is nothing wrong with a tv dinner? !! On Christmas day? ??!!

Any how if I cook dinner for us three this year hubby wants to have crackers, hats ect and to eat carbonara!!! He said its his favourite food and since we are both off that's his request . And he wants a monster massive buffet for tea.

When faith is older if I have to work Christmas then Santa will write to her to ask if we can move Christmas day so I can be there. As a child I used to cry when my dad was at work on Christmas day and beg for is to open our presents boxing day or the day after so he could be there. That's what hubby wants to do as well so it's a family day. We will give her a few presents on the official Christmas day off I'm not there but hold off and do it properly the day after.

I am even writing down ideas you guys suggest so I can copy traditions when she is older x
Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:51 am 
Post subject:
Aww happyhell, they sound like lovely ideas. It's so great when kids are older so understand more, I'm sure Faith won't mind you working the day and you won't miss anything by postponing the main celebrations! Honestly can't believe your OH's family like tv dinners on christmas day?! Fair enough if it's just them but by inviting you I'd expect a lot more of a celebration! x

happyhell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:06 am 
Post subject:
Seriously Stacey I could write a book on my inlaws. They are nice people but very very stuck in their ways and spoke of their ways are wierd to me.

I wouldn't mind if they would come to us but they want me to be that miserable in their house? No way.

I'm going away this weekend then am going on a starvation diet lol between then and Christmas. I am determined to rat like a beast over Christmas so want to make sure I have a few pounds to play with.

Bet you have an expensive Christmas with two little ones x
Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:08 am 
Post subject:
The expensive part is that George was born 2 weeks before Christmas and Isabelle was born 3 weeks after, not the best planning really!!
I'm determined next year to spend Christmas day with my family. The magic has gone for my mum and dad now me and my sister have moved out but we'll have a big celebration next year Smile
xx

StaceyRD
Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:09 am 
Post subject:
My sister is having a baby so next May I'll be an auntie for the first time too Very Happy

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:13 pm 
Post subject:
Congratulations Stacey Smile

Happyhell your in laws don't sound very considerate.. My mum told me that we could have Christmas dinner with them the other year but they were going out and we would have to pay for ourselves.... Christmas is expensive enough without the added cost of eating out... I hope you manage to come to an agreement.. Even if just for your little girl. Xxx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular