Need help with my employer and my child being sick

xtine1985BScHons
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:16 am 
Post subject: Need help with my employer and my child being sick
Ok so my DS is 5 years old and at school obviously. He suffers from asthma and as a result is susceptible to chest infections he also has an oat intollerance, last year he was poorly quite a bit with chest infections and while we discovered he was intolerant to oats we had to keep him off due to him having an upset stomach and the school not letting him in and obviously us not wanting to send a child who's likely to have an accident in.
As a result I ended up taking time off of work to look after him.
Anyway at the new year I mysef ended up having a chest infection and had to call in sick, my manager phoned me up on my second day off and had a go at me over the phone saying I had taken too much time off last year and that we'd talk about it when I come back on Tuesday.
I went in yesterday and she called me upto the office where she informed me that I had had 18 days off last year, I explained that the majority of these were days off for Toby being ill and as such could not be counted against my absence record.
She asked me why no one else could look after him. I pointed out that when a child is sick they want their mum, she then proceeded to ask me why my partner, Toby's dad, his grandparents or better still my friends couldn't look after him when he's sick.
I said again when Toby's ill he wants his mum and also I shouldn't inflict a sick child on anyone else as it wasn't fair especially my friends who have kids. Toby's dad lives over an hour away so we would have to find a way to get a sick child to him which is not fair on Toby.
My partner works full time whereas I work part time and as a result it makes more financial sense for me to take the time off otherwise we would be losing twice as much money! And also Toby wants me to look after him when I'm ill.
She then accused me of putting my son's needs before the needs of my job and I pointed out that Toby's medical needs would obviously come before my job as he was more important.
She then said we would review my absences over the next three months but if I phone in and say that I can't come in due to Toby being sick it will go down as an unauthorised absence.
Now does anyone know what my rights are here?
Surely I can't be the only one who struggles with this who else could I ask to look after my son apart from me when he's ill?
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:56 am 
Post subject:
Omg what a cow! I'm not sure on the legalities but as a mother you should be entitled to carets leave if your child is sick. Expecting other people such as friends to look after them is ridiculous. You need to speak to your HR department, they will be able to advise you on what you can and can't do and they will be able to give you copies of the policies related to this. Good luck xx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:18 am 
Post subject:
In my contract, it states that I am allowed to take 'reasonable time off to care for a sick child, or make arrangements for longer term care'

Knowing my employer this was taken from somewhere that lays out basic employers rules, so would stand as a legal requirements.

However 'reasonable time' is very open to interpretation.

Most of the time a child would be off due to something that is contagious, so would be unfair to expect someone else to look after them.

My work are quite good, and I can do some work from home if sick.

How dare she say your job is more important.

I also have no one to help out with my daughter, her dad despite not working has no interest in having her if she is ill. My mom is not able to have her for long periods of time due to disability.

xtine1985BScHons
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:20 pm 
Post subject:
The problem I've got is that I work for a small family run laundry business so I'm pretty much stuffed!
I've applied for another job working nights in a supermarket because at least that means there will always be one of us at home to look after him if he's ill day or night.
I'm just confused as to what this "longer term care" would be I don't know of a single childminder or nursery that would take on a sick child and why should my parents or friends take time off work to look after my sick child?
This loop hole is ridiculous if a child is sick they want their mum or their dad to look after them not a stranger or another relative!
Plus as well with Toby if it's his asthma I only really trust my mother or myself to look after him as we both know how to manage attacks (her being a nurse and myself being an asthmatic) I struggle with letting his dad have him overnight if he's a bit wheezy!
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:06 pm 
Post subject:
I work for the NHS. I get 1 day a year carers leave. Otherwise if my little one is ill, I either have to use my annual leave or take it as unpaid. I try to save a bit of annual leave for this reason. Hope you manage to sort it all out xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular