vbac v c section

Flygal
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:15 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Ladies,

I thought I would share with you my vbac experience. I too was terrified about scar rupture and was convinced I was going to opt for an elective section. After a LOT of indecisiveness I chose to go for a vbac with the thought that I would regret it had I not "just tried".

I was so glad I did. I went overdue. I had a sweep on the Monday and was told if it had worked something would happen by the Wednesday. Nothing did! Was booked in for another sweep and pre op for the Thursday afternoon.

Thursday at around 11.30am my waters broke. I had mild contractions. Went straight in but tbh by the time I'd sorted childcare for my son it was about 2pm. They said at around 2.30pm that I was only 2cm (instinctively I thought this can't be right I'm having contractions every 3 mins) they said usually they would send me home but as they were quiet and I was a vbac I could stay in. Well, to cut a long story short about 10 mins after that I felt the urge to push. I asked them to examine me again and I was 9cm! So I did it quickly and with NO pain relief! The pushing was pretty strenuous. It lasted around an hour. Overall it was a really nice experience. The only thing was i bled and tore quite badly and had an episiotomy and it took a LONG time to heal. I felt a bit disappointed as I was under the illusion that with a natural birth I would be up and about straight away and that wasn't the case. I found the recovery as bad as my c section.

However if I were to have another I would have no hesitation in choosing to do it naturally.

By the way my first section was an elective one so I have experienced both an elective c section and vbac.

There is a lot to be said for an elective section and it really comes down to your personal choice and how much you think scar rupture is a risk.

I hope my positive story helps you though and wish you the best of luck.
Alowicious
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:06 pm 
Post subject:
Flygal what a nice VBAC story Smile Well done you! I'm not bothered about tearing or how bad the tearing is really. Nothing could be as bad as the mental effects I had from all the infections after my C-section Sad except maybe for lasting bowel damage but fingers crossed a VBAC wouldn't come to that!!

I hope my second labour goes as quick as yours!!

Elp have you had any further thoughts?

We discussed VBAC at length with my OBGYN last appointment and she told us exactly what to do. At home if I have any constant unbearable pain I have to come straight in, also if I have any bright red bleeding. This could mean rupture.

Whilst I am in labour it all depends on the pattern of the baby's heartrate, which dips naturally with contractions anyway, but if it gets erratic, whether dips or rises, then it means baby is in distress and needs to come out asap. She said if I hadn't had an epi then they would do a spinal block and a team would be on standby ready to whip the baby out.

I'm sure she gave me a naughty sweep the other day as yesterday and today I have been losing my 'bl**dy show' and there's lots of it!!
Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:21 pm 
Post subject:
Hi girls.

I am still aiming for a vbac and this is being encouraged by my midwives and consultant so feeling confident. You are very closely monitored in labour after a c section and they know the signs for rupture - i know there is still a risk but more of a risk (for different reasons) with a section.

Baby is transverse at the moment so just hoping he moves. i have a growth scan at 34 weeks.

I am just going to do whatever is best for me and baby and our situation. if everything goes normally i will defo be trying for a vbac xx

Alowicious
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:24 pm 
Post subject:
Sounds like you have a good team there Elp, all the best to you x x
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:40 am 
Post subject:
Just wanted to update you Smile

I had my baby, I started labour naturally 4 days early! went in at 2pm and laboured till about 8pm with nothing, reached 7cm and started on gas and air. I was monitored wirelessly and was moving about until this point! reached 12pm and contractions were too painful so had a shot of pethadine to take edge off. 4 hours later we were both still doing ok so had another shot of pethadine and waters broken. by 6am reached 10cm, 6.30 had urge to start pushing. At 7am the pethadine had worn off but I couldn't hold the gas and air thing anymore so just got on with it and pushed till 7.58 when my daughter was born by successful VBAC weighing 10lbs 2 oz Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised was really shocked as she looked tiny!

its nearly a week later now and I have 2nd degree tearing around the perenium but the stitches don't bother me and it only stung to pee the first time. My biggest gripe is it took me 3 days before I could walk well as towards the end of the pregnancy I started with pelvic pain and now it is much worse. Ive been told it shouldn't last longer than 3 weeks ( which is how long it took me to feel better from the c-sec) but may need a physio to sort it out for me Sad HOWEVER I wouldn't have changed anything about the birth, the sense of achievement it has given me is something I will remember forever, feeling her head when it came out, cutting her cord, seeing the placenta and having that lovely golden hour of just chilling with her straight after the birth.

I can't compare it to a planned section because mine was emergency but if you could do the golden hour thing with a planned I am sure it would be a very similar experience to a VBAC without the pain! I must add I am 40 in a few weeks and my pelvis has always been quite tight, I get sciatica in my right hip so I imagine someone fitter and healthier wouldn't have this problem Smile
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:05 pm 
Post subject:
wow hun massive congratulations - such a nice vbac story and i hope you are enjoying every moment.

I had my mw appointment yesterday and baby has gone from transverse to breach so just hoping he moves!! have a scan at 34 weekx xxx

Rach2014
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 pm 
Post subject:
Personally I have never had a c-sec so can not speak for myself but a friend of mine had 2 c=sec and with her 3rd child a vbac she had a water birth and all went well .
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:07 am 
Post subject:
Quick update for people who might read this in the future. It's now 3 weeks and four days since I gave birth and I am back to normal 100% and have started exercising - walking. Definitely would choose normal birth over c-sec every time. C-sec took three weeks before I could walk comfortably but couldn't sit up well or lift anything heavy. At three weeks after my VBAC I was back to normal flexibility, off pain meds, can walk normally without feeling of pressure down below and generally feel great 😃 I've also been able to lift my three year old son which was one of the reasons I wanted a VBAC in the first place and of course I can drive my car about.

Anyone worried about the pain, well I have a low pain threshold and managed it with the help of some drugs 😃 I was determined not to have an epidural. Plus the minute your baby is delivered the pain is no more 😃 and mine was a whopping ten pounds and two ounces!!!!

Good luck everyone x
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:50 pm 
Post subject:
Aw that's fantastic Alowicious. Glad I check back. Ouch, 10lb 2oz. Glad all went well. Xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular