A couple of questions about larger than average babies

Weasleywannabe
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:21 pm 
Post subject: A couple of questions about larger than average babies
Hello,
Our younger boy is 5 months old. He weighs about 20 Ib and wears mainly 9-12 month clothes with some 12-18 month. I am not concerned about his weight as he is still exclusively breast fed.

However, can anyone recommend nappies to fit a bigger baby that can contain the poo of a baby who is not having solids yet?

He has nearly outgrown his infant backwards facing car seat but he is developmentally at the level of a five month old so I don't think it is safe to move him into the next car seat. His head must still be too big and heavy compared to the rest of him for a forward facing seat to be safe and he can only sit unaided for a few minutes before he topples over so I am unsure whether the next seat would give him enough support.

Thank you very much
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:44 pm 
Post subject:
I think sainsburys nappies are really good, my boy is 18 months now and still has the odd sloshy poo and ice had no spills with them. About the car seat, check the Manuel some go on weight and some go on age which is normally 12 months, but also they need to be able to hold their head up comfortably for at least 30 mins before they go to the next seat. I think you are doing the right thing keeping him in his car seat for now, its got to be safer for their head and neck should anything happen x

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:49 pm 
Post subject:
you can get stage 0-1 car seats which are as big as a forward facing one but go rear facing aswell. I had one for my daughter as she was long, but not very heavy. This might be better for your son. As the other poster said they need to be able to sit comfortably.

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:12 pm 
Post subject:
I have a combination seat for my daughter for the opposite issue, she was only 16lb 10oz the week before her birthday (which was 6 weeks ago). I have only just begun to face her forward in the last month or so!

I got the mothercare madrid one while it was on offer and have found it to be pretty good. The only thing I have noticed is that it isnt as big as a normal stage 1 carseat. I did look into other more expensive brands but we couldn't really afford them while I was on SMP!

I would definitely suggest you get one of these instead of a normal stage 1 as your 'little' man certainly wont have the physical development necessary for forward facing at 5 months old. Very Happy Surprised
Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:55 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you very much for your help and advice.

I am going to Sainsbury's tomorrow to buy some of their nappies to try. I will also find our little boy a better car seat following your suggestions.

This is all new to me as our younger boy is wearing the clothes our older one wore at two years old. Shocked

Thank you very much everyone

Jump to:  

Community

Popular