too worried to wee?

Woodles
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:45 pm 
Post subject: too worried to wee?
Little man has had one wee on his potty after 6 hours holding it in! We found if we put his pants on in place of his nappies he will just wee and not care for been wet. Without a nappy he holds it till he cant anymore and as has just happened he ends up spraying it all over the room !
He was sat on his potty but still wouldnt stop holding it in. He has a reward chart we made together and stickers we put on. Im confused why he would wee in it before and now he wont. He was so proud when he did it and ran straight upstairs to flush it away and put a sticker on his chart.
He started school this week and is the only one still in nappies Sad
He isnt responding to our praise and will only sit on his potty if I say he can play his dads ds. Even then I have to sit next to him.
When he starts dancing around I ask if he needs to wee and he says no then cries when I tell him its okay to wee and try to reassure him about it.
He has shown interest for months now, watching us go wee and he tells us when he goes in his nappy.
Feeling stressed and lost! Weve given him nothing but praise and encouragment but he seems so worried and cant or wont tell me why.
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:55 am 
Post subject:
Hi how old is your little boy? I'm not really able to offer any suggestions as my son is not in the least bit interested in potty training so we haven't even tried yet and he is still in nappies - he is 2 yrs 9 mth. Anyway I just wanted to say that my son will hold his wee for hours and hours, especially if we are out all day. He usually goes in the morning when he wakes up and then again after breakfast and then often not at all until bedtime. He drinks plenty of water and I worry too that surely he should be going more often. If we are at home most of the day he tends to go more often, maybe 3 or 4 times a day.

A couple of weeks ago he did a wee at bedtime and then didn't do another one until midday the following day! I kept asking him if he needed to do something but he said no. He is usually dry overnight too and will wake in the night to come and tell us when he has done a wee as he wants his nappy changed and has been like this for several months. So I think some of the signs are there but he is just not interested in sitting on a potty or the toilet.

I have no idea how of when to even start potty training with him! Have you had any luck with your little boy since your message? Mine is not interested in stickers or reward charts but maybe if your's is could he get some sort of reward after say 5 wees in the potty like a small toy car and then you could stretch it to 3 days of using the potty well for another reward and then a week and then he may have cracked it and you'd be done?! Would he be keen to sit on the toilet or even do standing up wees instead as sitting on the potty may be uncomfortable for him?

Sorry for my waffly reply, let me know how you are getting on! xxx

Woodles
Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:02 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the reply, Chris is just over 3 now. We sat down together and drew up a sticker chart for him and I drew his fav characters sonic and tails on it. I explained the way it works and since he already is willing to sit on his potty nappy free he gets a sticker for doing a wee in his potty. He did a wee in his potty once, we were just sat watching a movie and playing and his dad just suggested it and he went. We made a really big deal of it and he got alot of praise and he raced to his chart to put a sticker up. Since then we've had no luck. He just holds it until he can't any longer (he will even sit on his potty yet still hold it) and then plead for a nappy and cry when we suggest he just lets it out. He has never been scolded for any accidents he has had.
He watches me and his dad go wee but isnt ibterested in using the toilet or trying a stand up wee. He just says no and walks away.
He has quite a short attention span, it's difficult to get him to do something he doesnt care to do, it does seem that his new routine for nursery is helping though. Already his speech and such are improving after only 2 weeks.
he doesbt tell us when he wees in his nappy only when he has done a poo.
he isnt at all bothered about been wet or for going on thr floor (tho and uh oh does usually follow any accidents)
We keep his nappy off as soon as he has had his daily poo but it does seem to be a bit distressing for him so I am considering waiting a bit longer.
feel bad tho as he is the only one in his class that is still in nappies!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular