Strange periods 1+ year after baby born and hoping for no. 2

amycc
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:25 pm 
Post subject: Strange periods 1+ year after baby born and hoping for no. 2
Hi everyone
I had my first baby in Nov 11 (after 4 miscarriages). I am 34 now. My periods were always regular before then and for a while afterwards, at about 24/25 days apart. Now they have been getting shorter, even only 20 /21 days apart and then I have had some which have been incredibly light. Last time was like this and now the next period hasn't even arrived 37 days later! (I am not pregnant!) I have also been sweating more than usual and getting hairier on my body and chin (not great!). It seems too early to be going through menopause but I know that it is possible this young. I am just hoping not as we are keen to start trying for no.2 baby very soon. Anyone got any thoughts? I would like to hear some ideas before I go to the GP. After losing 4 babies before our little boy it would be devastating to go through more fertility issues now.
Thanks!
Columbine (bird of peace): left us 25th Oct 09.
Tiny one: left us on 16th May 10
and Richard Charles: born full of life on 23rd Nov 11!
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:57 pm 
Post subject:
Im not entirely sure to be honest but it definately sounds like theres some kind of hormonal imbalance going on, doctor needs to run some blood tests I think.
Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:07 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks. That's probably what is going on. I might wait and see if the next period comes and then see GP. Anyone else had any similar things happen?
KazM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:06 pm 
Post subject:
Are you breast-feeding? If so that could be why as that can stop your hormones settling back into normal monthly cycles.
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:55 am 
Post subject:
I've had cycle changes too, I've noticed over the last 3yrs my cycle has gone from 30/31 days down to 26-28, with ov going from cd 17 on average to cd 13-14, and some AF's have been very short and lighter than normal as well last months barely lasted a full day and wasn't heavy at all, and this months started Saturday dinner and was down to brown cm by Monday morning, but was at least heavy while I had it (sorry for the TMI )but I'm 43 now so it may be down to that, I know I still ov every month though .
I have been taking something called DHEA though and one of the possible side effects from that is increased facial/body hair as it can increase testosterone levels, all women have low levels of testosterone naturally but if it increases it can cause symptoms like excessive sweating, increased body/facial hair or even hair loss (in a similar way to when men go bald) increased aggression and missed or irregular periods so I'd say it's a possible cause for your symptoms Question
High testosterone can be a side effect or cause of PCOS (depending on who you ask) or it can just happen when something throws your hormones out of whack which a pregnancy can do .
But the only way to know is to ask your GP to run some hormone tests and if it is a hormone imbalance it should be easy to treat .
Losing weight and avoiding refined sugars and carbs is a good way to balance hormones as well .
It's unlikely to be the menopause at your age, it can happen but it's very rare, I have a friend who went through the menopause very suddenly at 38 and the docs told her it was incredibly rare for it to happen suddenly in your thirties, unless there's a family history of very early menopause, which for her there was. Most women get anything of 5-10 yrs of being peri-menopausal first and you can still get pregnant during that time and your symptoms don't fit with all the 'classic' symptoms .
The sooner you see the GP though the sooner you can start to get it sorted, I wouldn't wait for your period as if it is high testosterone it might not show for a while if you've stopped ovulating xx
amycc
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:59 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you. That is really helpful info. I did some some blood tests a few months ago because I am still lactating even though I only breastfed my son for 12 weeks and he is now 21 months! At the time the hormone levels were all normal apart from slightly raised pro-lactin levels. So, I know that the hormones were 'normal' quite recently. I think I will definitely see what happens in the next few months and then ask the GP. You ladies on this forum are very supportive, thank you! Askbaby was my lifeline when I went through my miscarriages and it's nice to come back to a different forum and find equally helpful friends!
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:24 am 
Post subject:
High prolactin can stop ovulation as well as it makes your body think you are still breastfeeding even when you're not and if you're having annovulatory cycles then they can be either short or very long or you just might not get an AF at all, it seems to vary so it could maybe be related to that Question
Zinc which is found in dark green leafy veg naturally lowers prolactin or you can get it in supplements as well and Agnus castus is supposed to lower prolactin and bring back a normal cycle as well xx
amycc
Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:05 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks. That is interesting. I have some zinc supplements and also love my leafy veg so will eat more! The GP said that the prolactin was only slightly raised though so it might not be that. I think I will still wait till next month just to see what happens and then see GP. My cycles had returned to more normal after breastfeeding and have gone more askew recently, so I'm not sure that that would be the reason at this point. It's really helpful to have your comments and help me think!
amycc
Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:37 pm 
Post subject:
Hi again. I had some weird spotting and then nothing for a few days, then again, then nothing and then again and then a week later a really heavy period, 58 days after my last one! It is still going on now a week later and really heavy. It would seem like I had been pregnant and then miscarrying but we had used contraception and I have taken a pregnancy test, so this must just be a weird cycle! Anyway, thanks for the advice. I have had some blood tests done and am waiting for the results. They are checking testosterone and other hormones, so we well see. We are keen to start trying again for no. 2 really soon now. You just never know what might happen despite weird cycles, so we will see...
carolyn212
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:06 am 
Post subject: hope to hear from you ASAP
Great article. I am a similar age and have several friends who are facing the same realization you are, and at times, it can be heart-breaking, though they still lead fantastic lives. I struggle with medical infertility, and learned about it only after waiting until after grad school to get pregnant, but do not find the sympathy you refer to, unless,until i met oduwa legba who help me out and this is his details; +2348165061583 or oduwalegba@outlook.com.God did so that He will be glorified.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Fertility Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular