vbac v c section

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:53 pm 
Post subject: vbac v c section
Hi girls. Hoping for a bit of advice. I have been given the go ahead for vbac providing baby doesnt get to big....I really want to try naturally (I laboured with my son but ended in section) but I am nervous. I know the chance of repture is small but as they are so close together it is something they keep talking about and I have my old fear of baby getting stuck!! I can be booked in for repeat section but have always wanted a natural birth and I know sections carry their own risks.

Basically if you were in my shoes what do you think you would do xx

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 pm 
Post subject:
I would try and go for vbac I think. I too was petrified of baby getting stuck and spent most of my time pushing saying 'it's taking too long'. They know what they're doing though and are constantly clock watching.

If it ends in a c section at least you can say you've tried especially if it's something you've always wanted.

xx

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:01 pm 
Post subject:
Id try for vbac because thats what you want to try. If you dont you may regret it, personally Ive now experienced 1 emergency section and 1 elective one ad despite what its done to my stomach (rhe over hang) and the hemorrhage I suffered after the elective I want a 3rd section if Im lucky enough to get pregnant again. I have no desire to give birth naturally at all.x
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:56 pm 
Post subject:
I'm hoping to have a vbac, and as you know our babies will have the same age gap. I'm seeing my consultant in a couple of weeks time, so i'm hoping to broach the subject of my chances of a vbac. I've always wanted a natural labour Sad xx

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks girls I think that I will try vbac I know I will regret it if I dont....just scared my body wont let me!

Dohdoh....my con has been great and straight away said it wouldnt be a problem but they will keep a close eye on babies weight and I am only allowed to go a certain amount of days over and no induction. If they can't brake my waters then I will have another section....I wasn't expecting that much so more than happy xx

dohdoh1984
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:58 pm 
Post subject:
That's great! Fingers crossed you get the natural labour you want Smile
I want to avoid caeserean as much as possible, but what will be will be xx

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:38 pm 
Post subject:
Exactly hun as long as he is out safe xx

shelleyf
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:34 pm 
Post subject:
You need to do whatever makes you feel comfortable and happy with decisions that you and others have to make. I had a natural labour, 6 hours no complications and no pain relief at all (not through choice - no one listened to me or looked at birth plan !!) and wouldn't go through that ever again! If I am lucky to conceive number two I want a c-section even if I have to pay for it!!! Xx
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:48 pm 
Post subject:
Its so much safer to give birth naturally even when complications have arisen previously. If you look at the figures for rates of caesarean section, there is actually a better chance for vbac than a vaginal birth for your first baby x
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:19 pm 
Post subject:
I know it's probably not what you want to hear but i'd choose an elective C-Section as i had my son almost 3 weeks ago and all the way through my pregnancy i was pushing for an elective for fear of my scar rupturing and my cousins wife and baby almost died in October as hers ruptured, my request was denied and after 12 hours in labour i only got to 3.5cms (exactly same as with my daughter) so had to have another emergency c-section and they said it was a good job they took me in when they did as my uterus was just rupturing.

Go with your gut instinct.

Lexismum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:31 pm 
Post subject:
25 weeks already Shocked Ddo you know what colour you are??? xx

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:27 pm 
Post subject:
Repture is what scares me as well. I had my vbac clinic and I have been told (which I had already researched) that vbac carries less risk than rcs but the risks are still there with both. I also found out the reason I had a section is because I got to 9cm but the reason I didnt go any further is coz my sons head was stuck in deflexed position so it was not my body that couldnt do it (that's what I convinced myself of) so I am still debating!

Hi lexis mum! We are team blue again. Soooo pleased xxx

Lexismum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:07 pm 
Post subject:
Id love a baby boy, but Im sure you can see from status' that Anais is a handful haha!!! xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:25 pm 
Post subject:
Maybe you could look up optimal positions for birth which give baby the most room and look into active labour (if you hadn't already).
I imagine most professionals would have you monitored on your back with a vbac which doesn't help and can be the difference between a successful vbac! So knowing your limits and signs of rupture, etc might help you to make decisions regarding your care in confidence x
Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:53 pm 
Post subject:
Oh wow Elp not long for you to go now Smile

My bubs is due in a few weeks and over in Dubai where I live they are no pro VBAC at all Sad I have found an OB who is willing to give me a trial of labour and she has a rep for not doing unnecessary C-sections as she is happy for labour to continue as long as it needs to as long as mum and baby are doing ok. I have researched and researched and there is so much conflicting information about everything to do with VBACs and Uterine Ruptures etc.

I don't want to have a second c-sec because of all the infections I had afterwards. It scares me that I won't be able to look after the baby properly and won't be able to play with my 3 year old son who has become very clingy and needy recently, plus started waking in the night. However, I also realise that if it becomes necessary for me to have a c-sec then that's fine - as long as my baby survives.

I have been reading a Hypnobirthing book, listening to the relaxation cds every day and will be listening to them via ipod through the delivery blanking out everyone else and concentrating. My OBGYN told me I have to have continuous monitoring which is ok as they have a wireless method and I also have to have an IV line inserted ready in case I am rushed off for C-sec. I have a really low threshold for pain but am hoping that the hypnobirthing will help with that. I have just bought some Raspberry leaf tea which is supposed to help with uterine contractions and am starting the EPO tomorrow. I have been having Braxton Hicks since 24 weeks and at 32 weeks they started to become a little painful and now they are almost as painful as labour pains lol!!! Plus some days my bump goes rock hard!! I have also been losing little bits of my plug maybe once or twice a week.

I have struggled the last couple of weeks as very uncomfy, absolutely shattered and feeling so guilty I've not been able to do much with my little boy at all. I have seen my family GP about prenatal depression as I am convinced I have it. She has been great and is giving me some counselling once a week and making up stuff on my insurance form so I don't get charged for it Smile The one thing I keep in my mind is that this is my last child and I would really love to experience a natural birth if possible. I am going to try my absolute hardest to do it, try to stay calm and relaxed and not worry and trust in my DH to fight against the OBGYN if she starts to mention C-sec without proof that baby is in danger. But I will always keep in my mind that if I have to have a repeat C-sec then what will be will be as long as I get to hold my baby at the end of it and she is healthy that's all that matters.

If you decide to go for the VBAC then the important question to ask the hospital is if you do rupture then do they have a team ready to get you c-sectioned asap. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, make sure it's a decision you are happy with hun. I will update you on what happens with my birth soon hopefully - not sure I can mentally make it to 40 weeks plus have been convinced from the start this one will be early!!
x
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular