Nightmares - How to help settle scared two year old.

KathG
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:44 pm 
Post subject: Nightmares - How to help settle scared two year old.
My little boy is just over two and a half and had his first proper nightmare last night (well first one he has been able to verbalise). He woke up screaming and terrified, jumped up on me as soon as I went into his room. He kept saying "there is a big black snail looking at me" so I said wait with Daddy and I will go take it away but he was clinging onto me saying "don't go into my room it will bite you please don't go don't go". He was shaking and so upset and didn't want me or his dad (and definitely not him) to go back into his room for fear the snail would get us.....so he slept in our bed which was fine for a night. But I was thinking how should you deal with nightmare in young children, simply say its not true/real or tell them you will take the monster (or in my case snail) away. I also tried going down the its a nice snail route but he was having none of that.

[/url]
Vixstar
Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:38 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Kath

We had similar, but about a crocodile. I bought a cheap water spray bottle, filled it with water and put a picture of a crocodile with a red no entry sign on it. We told my little one that it was crocodile spray and let him spray his room, bed and even himself. Basially, wherever he was scared of before he went to bed. It took some reassurance, but he did eventually get over his fear. To the point that he now has alligator pyjamas Smile

It worked for us and others, therefore I hope you find something to help your little one, as it is very upsetting for all.

One thing to note, they say you should never dismiss their fears. The advice is to acknowledge them and to help them find a way to overcome them.

Good luck!

Vics
x
Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:34 pm 
Post subject:
What a fab idea!!! Will give that ago if the mean snail comes back. I know it is upsetting for all, I felt so sorry for him, he was so scared. Thanks so much for reply will try that. Fingers crossed though since that night he hasn't had anymore nightmares.

[/url]
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:06 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, my little boy who is just over 3 was going through this very recently. We've only just managed to go back to having full nights sleep in the last couple of weeks! He was frightened of shadows and kept asking what everything was in his bedroom. He also had one night where he kept saying there was ice all over his door (which I think was from watching frozen!)
I explained to him that he was having dreams and that they were like stories that your brain makes up when you're sleeping. I started talking to him before saying goodnight about some good dreams he could have like going on an adventure on Thomas the tank engine, things like that. I also started leaving his door propped open slightly and the landing light on and dimmed. He chooses one of his teddies to sit outside his door every night to keep him safe!
It's awful seeing them scared, I hope he gets over it soon and you can all have some peacefulnights sleeps.
KathG
Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:13 pm 
Post subject:
awww giving them ideas for nice dreams is a sweet idea, will try that too. thanks for taking the time to reply. your advice has given me some good ideas of what to do next time (touch wood he has been ok since so hopefully it was just a one off).

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular