adoption enquiry

MummyFlint
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:41 pm 
Post subject: adoption enquiry
jst a general enquiring.....

was jst wondering what sorts of backgrounds, do potential adoptive parents come from? and what is a deff no-no to parents who want to adopt? (perhaps finances, housing, biological children?) and what sort of question get askd by social services?.
louloubellamozzarella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:00 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there Mummyflint Smile

The process to adopt is a very intrusive one- every aspect of your lives will be looked at (including your childhood, parents/family, finances, medical health, mental health etc etc) Thats not to say you have to be perfect! I.e - you don't have to be a super human with no debt and the perfect upbringing!! Smile

If you google adoption, you should get some idea of what to expect and then you could also make enquiries with your local authority or a volunteer agency.

Smoking is a problem as is a criminal record and you will also be required to have the room for your child (their own bedroom) and sufficient income- which I think can include benefits(?). You will also be expected to take time off from work initially - 6 months minimum but some prefer 1 year.

Hope this helps a bit. Don't be put off in any way - keep pushing as it shows you are dedicated!!

XX

My Adoption Journal...
http://www.askbaby.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=115215
Pumpkintoots
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:55 pm 
Post subject:
Dont be put off hun. Myslef and my husband have just adopted a little boy and we are both on low incomes and have our earnings topped up with working tax credit. They check you can manage your finances and that you have enough left to care for a child. We also live in rented accomodation but that was all checked too. I had a very bad childhood and i thought that would make a difference but it actually helped as i could empathise with a child who had been neglected or abused.

Look in to it, go to the information evening and see what you think. The process has been made easier as we were told it would take three years and it took one! And yes it was intrusive, but when you think that they are trusting you with a little life who has already been through so much you can understand why.

If you decide to go ahead, just be honest and open the whole way through. And please if you need any advice dont hesitate to message me as i know how great it is to have support from someone that has been through it like i had from loulou.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular