Newborn too short naps

carmenstart
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:24 am 
Post subject: Newborn too short naps
Hello,

I have a 2 months old baby. He is medically tested and he is ok. He is growing up very well, exclusively breastfed.
He has 5-6 hours sleeps at night (he falls asleep on his own, with a ritual) but the day sleep is awful. When he is sleepy he easily goes to sleep, most of the times assisted (in a stroller of rocked in our arms). After about 5 minutes he simply wakes up, sometimes very calmly sometimes crying. I tried to teach him to go to sleep by himself.It worked teaching him but the sleep is the same. I also tried to rock him for as long as he sleeps. He sleeps for about 20-30 minutes then suddenly wakes up. I would be ok with his pattern if he was happy with it. But it's obvious he is tired. At the end of the day he hardly manages to go to sleep on his own, as he is too tired after a day with such poor sleep.
All this started to happen since he was about one week old.I know newborns are supposed to have very short naps, but ours seems to have unusually short naps. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help him sleep better? If any of you had this expereince, by what age does the day sleep get better?

Thanks!
XxSnooksxX
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm 
Post subject:
How is little man now?? my son was all over the place with sleeping too but he was quite like yours in the day but maybe sleeping for about a hour then waking up for couple more hours then back to sleep haha but waking up atleast 5 times during night to be held or to be fed. He eventually got better in the night time and was STILL waking me up least 3 times even when he was 8-9 months for some milk but slowely got better from there and now hes 2 and a half and only wakes up from nightmares but its pretty rare and goes to sleep at 9pm and sleeps thru till 8am Very Happy

Its a rollercoaster with babies but now im pregnant at 10w5d with #2 and im soooo looking forward to them times again! not! haha i just love babies tho Embarassed Oh and its all normal so dont worry hes just tired from all the short naps hes taking (even tho your doing all the right things!, its just his way of sleeping i guess lol) i tried to put our son to sleep by himself in the rocking cot but i felt horrible lol and ran back to him and held him to sleep, (prob why he was a sook and says 'lay down mummy' to me when its his bedtime now haha hes use to sleeping with me.. It will all get better Wink

Newcomer
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:30 pm 
Post subject:
Hello,

Thank you for answering the post. Well, my son is much better now. He is 4 month old and sleeps for 30-45 mins at every nap time. When he wakes up I have to take him from his crib and rock him on my legs until he finishes his sleep. If I don't help him finish the sleep, problems start from over-tiredness. It is so much better thou. While I rock him to continue sleeping, I work some documents on my laptop, so the time is double invested - time spent with my son and time spent doing some work Smile).

This little one is actually my second son. I have one at aprox. the same age with yours (2.5 years). But there is a huge difference between them. The big guy slept thru the night from the first night he arrived home.So when the little one arrived with so many sleep problems, I got lost Smile)).

Might be that your second child will have a better sleep pattern (otherwise the law of compensation would not work Smile))) ).

All the best!
XxSnooksxX
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:14 am 
Post subject:
Hey,
Aww im happy that your bubs getting better Smile how quick does the time fly by hay!? felt like atleast 6 months ago when i gave birth and now hes 2 n a half and ill be soon going thru it again! I also had to take mine out of the crib when he woke up and he just constantly wanted to be held so i should of had arms of steel the amount of time i was holding him to sleep etc! Laughing Also the same with mine if i didnt help him sleep then here comes trouble lol

Well done to you doing some work and also looking after bub, seriously! some women go to sleep when they do lol really proud of you there! Wink you should be a walking zombie lol I can understand (not that ive been there YET)but in how it was all different for you cause you would of been use to how your first delt with sleeping etc then all of a sudden your out of sync Embarassed I reeealy hope the one in my oven cooking away (sounds horrible that way lol but you know what i mean!) is going to be better behaved and have better sleeps or im in for it bigtime again! Aaarggh how did the 2nd birth go for you? did bub come faster and more easier or?? I was in labour from 2am all thru the next day AND the night, THEN that nxt day at 4pm! was horrible but it took 20 mins to push him out with ALOT of determination Wink x
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:28 pm 
Post subject:
Haha, sorry to answer that late! My little one started to sleep awful at night (again!) Smile)). Might be that 4 months sleep regression, or teething, or the over heat we have here, or some colic or...who knows? Smile)). Anyway, I finally picked up myself to check my e-mails and computer stuff and red your post.

What worked for the little one (George) to sleep better was swaddling. Although I never swaddled the first one for a second, because he was a natural night sleeper, George really needed the swaddle to help him settle to sleep (well, for two nights even swaddling seems to fail Smile) ).

My first delivery was simply awful. First contraction started at 1 am then has some nice contractions until the next day 1 am then nightmare until 11 am. I had a very unfriendly cervix and this led to very painful contractions from 5 am to 11 am. Delivery only took 1 hour Smile) (without too much determination because I was totally finished at that time). Ohh, and I used no analgesics, no epidural :d (silly me!).

Second time thou was soooo easy! Really, it was the opposite. I arrived at the hospital at 3 pm. At 3:40 pm my son was out, shouting like a real man! Smile)) It will be much easier (no epidural)! You'll see. Everyone I asked around had a much easier birth the second time. I was scared to have a natural second delivery (I was considering a Cesarian) but now I am happy I chose for the natural birth again.
XxSnooksxX
Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:20 pm 
Post subject:
Oh no! yes the heat can def play a role in the kids behaviour etc, mines a monster when its hot and id rather pay hundreds in electricity bills than have him sweating his bum off being a BIG pain Laughing Teething is a awful time too little ones. When they drool heaps, putting things in their mouths etc its a sign, im sure you know the drill Smile

Sorry to ask but whats Swaddling? ive never heard of that word in Australia Embarassed

OMGSH your bloody mad for not using any pain relief or epidural (which i regret bad now)you poor thing! the epidural for me has now just caused problems in my back as a LEARNER tried it on my back while i was shaking in pain from labour and what do you know, he poked me in the wrong spot! Mad soo the OH and i got mad as its a delicate thing to do on someone and if you get it wrong it can cause a LONGTERM havoc on the back etc. The experienced man that was standing next to him done it first go and what do you know again, the pains NEVER even subsided! only honestly worked for one pain! i had that stabbed in my back about a hour prior to giving birth so pretty much i can say i had it natural as i had no pain relief whatso ever and the epi didnt even work lol

I remember saying to my OH i wanted to be knocked out till its all over Laughing or have a c-section too haha id rather be hit by a bus then go in labour! Razz o well gotta go thru it again Wink

Hahaha im glad your second birth was alot better and WOW i must say thats lucky you had him that quick! i hope im like you in that way lol i have also heard aswell that the second is so much easier even my mum said i was so much better giving birth to than my brother who was 10 pounds and i was 6 pounds lol least it wasnt like pushing out a watermelon compared to my brother tho haha my mum also had natural births with us 2 aswell so maybe ill try natural like you and see how i go Wink

Thankyou again so very much for the reply Smile

AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:16 pm 
Post subject:
swaddling is where you wrap baby up real tight. Sometimes they can find it comforting as it reminds them of being in the womb.
Other babies hate it though. x
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:48 am 
Post subject:
Ohh i see Smile like in a muslin wrap. Looks like there in a cocoon Laughing cute! mine liked it while it lasted then wriggled his way out all the time lol thanks for that kaz x
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:07 am 
Post subject:
Haha...bless him!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular