tantrums for a 4 year old.

Hana22
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:08 pm 
Post subject: tantrums for a 4 year old.
For the past two weeks or so my 4 year old has been having the worst temper tantrums she has ever had. Not listening to awWord i say she has started hitting and kicking and screaming and its all over little things and it escalates from there until i have to leave her in her room to calm down. When shes asked why she does it she said she doesnt know. Sometimes she will come say Sorry afterwards.
She is especially bad when my parents are around. She will be horrible to them and play up for me in front of them. It doesnt matter what they do or say she will just be in a mood with them and wont be nice. Shes been told about it many times and is punished if she hits out at them. im starting to worry that if she carries in they will dread seeing her. They dont see any other side to her.
I know children push boundries but surely she wud learn to be nice to people its been goin on for so Long.
Any advice what to do next please wud be so appriciated
Xxxx

fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:11 am 
Post subject:
Hi, has anything changed for her that she might be seeking more attention or needing more assurance?

I used to be a nanny and looked after a child who had terrible angry tantrums. I explained to her when she was in a calm mood about why it's not nice to behave like that and suggested to her that whenever she felt herself getting angry she could sit on her beanbag and cuddle a teddy until she felt calmer. The first few times I took her to the beanbag as soon as she looked like a tantrum might escalate (not in a cross way, just a kind suggestion that maybe we would both feel better if she had a little calming down time) after a few times she did start to sit quietly herself and the tantrums got better.

Hopefully it's just a short phaseand it will pass, but in the meantime maybe try something like the beanbag or a special cushion as soon as you think she's starting to lose control. Also, as hard as it is, try to be as calm and reasonable as you can to teach her how to handle things in a calm and controlled way.

Good luck!
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 am 
Post subject:
Hi, has anything changed for her that she might be seeking more attention or needing more assurance?

I used to be a nanny and looked after a child who had terrible angry tantrums. I explained to her when she was in a calm mood about why it's not nice to behave like that and suggested to her that whenever she felt herself getting angry she could sit on her beanbag and cuddle a teddy until she felt calmer. The first few times I took her to the beanbag as soon as she looked like a tantrum might escalate (not in a cross way, just a kind suggestion that maybe we would both feel better if she had a little calming down time) after a few times she did start to sit quietly herself and the tantrums got better.

Hopefully it's just a short phaseand it will pass, but in the meantime maybe try something like the beanbag or a special cushion as soon as you think she's starting to lose control. Also, as hard as it is, try to be as calm and reasonable as you can to teach her how to handle things in a calm and controlled way.

Good luck!
Hana22
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:38 am 
Post subject:
Hiya thank u for the reply.
It started when he dummies were taken away.
She was very attached to them and i decided , considering she was turning 4 she had them far to Long so the dummy fairies came one night and shes not had any since. Thinking its fustration from not having them. Im definatly going to try the bean bag thats a great idea.
Xxxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular