Birth plan advice

cardea
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:52 pm 
Post subject: Birth plan advice
Hi all, I know this sounds really silly but i wanted some advice from you mothers to be. I am currently 37weeks + 4 days. I saw my midwife at 36 weeeks and she said she would see me again at 39 weeks. when i saw her at my 36 week check up everything was fine and she said see you in 3 weeks time ( blood pressure, urine sample etc ). I was a bit shocked as she and no one has asked me about my birth plan. I asked her when i was supposed to go through my birth plan with her and she just shrugged it off and said she had other patients waiting. I am a bit worried about this. I have written a birth plan and gone through it with my husband and mum who are both going to be my birth partners, but i really wanted sometime to go through it with my midwife and check out that my medical needs were being meet and that i was not making any silly demands. I have read in all my pregnancy books and magazines that your midwife is meant to go through a birth plan with you and i was wondering if this is normal ?????!!!!!!!/ All the info i have recieved has been through my own research, such as the internet, magazines and books. I feel a bit let down. She also scared the life out of me by telling me i was having a big baby - as she was measuring me as 3 weeks ahead of my dates and made me an appt at the hospital to have to double checked. I waited for 5 days with my anxiety rocketing through the roof and the doctor at the hospital said my measurments were bang on time for my dates and it was a normal size baby. She had measured me incorrectly and worried the life out of me for no reason. He was also not happy with me being left until 39 weeks until my next appt with her and said i should also be seeing her at 38 weeks. Sorry if i have been having a whine, but my faith in my midwife is really lacking and i was wondering if her behaviour is normal or if i am being a paronoid new mummy to be !!!!!! Thanks for your advice XXXXXX
dawnb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:40 am 
Post subject:
Hi, I can quite understand why you are worrying, as its always scary with it being your first baby.
I didnt go through my birth plan with my midwife the first time round as she never mentioned it and i assumed that it would probably not be her delivering the baby anyway as it would be whichever midwife was on shift at the time. In the end i had to be induced as sian was 2 wks late and the midwife at the hospital told me it was a big baby as im going into labour (not really the best time for giving me that information!!)
Anyway the labour and birth went so quickly and was a lovely calm relaxed experience that the birth plan went out the window and i had forgotten i had even written one!
But saying that, all the important things like me wanting her delivered straight onto my chest and having some music on for relaxation were all part of it.
I remember while i was in the delivery room the midwife who id never even met before was asking me relevent questions about what position i wanted to be in and about who wants to cut the cord ect, so dont worry too much, they will ask you lots of questions at the time and make sure for your peace of mind that your birth partner has your birth plan at hand to wave in the midwives face if needs be.
Hope all goes well for you and good luck!, Go in with an open mind and think of the end result its the most wanderful thing you will ever experience.
dawn x
cardea
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:17 am 
Post subject: relief "!
thank you for your reply !. I have made sure my birth partners are aware of my wishes- things that are important to me such as who cuts the babys cord, where the baby is placed etc. I think i am probably worrying too much and that the midwive who will be with me through the delivery will ask the relevant questions - adn you can garantee that my husband and mum will make sure they don't do anything i have stated as a big NO !. I am glad to hear that you had a relaxing a postive birth experience ( even though she was late ! ) all you tend to get is people telling you horror stories when you are pregnant adn it is far to easy to focus on those than the positive ones ! I will make sure yours is one of the positive ones i think of over the next two weeks ! .

Thanks again ! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular