Gestational Diabetes

KazM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:17 pm 
Post subject:
Aww thanks hun. I'm a lot more relaxed having spoken to the Diabetes Midwife for a number of reasons. I have a blood sugar meter and will be testing sugars before breakfast & then an hour after every meal each day - I also had a blood test which is apparently supposed to tell what sugars have been like over the past 3 months - first growth scan done today - lots of info.
1)The stillbirth thing is based on some VERY old statistics, some dating back to 1972 - before most of the drugs including insulin and metformin were around - also doesn't take into account the mothers control over blood sugars.
2)All the risks seem to be centred around/caused by high sugars & a big baby.
3)The midwife agreed with me that as long as my sugars were controlled & baby's growth scans were normal, that staying midwife led/giving birth on the midwife led unit(which is right upstairs from CLU) should be fine(but she had to recommend going to CLU on an official level as that's what the NICE guidelines say as a blanket recommendation). I have opted to stick with MLU for now unless something comes up on any future tests that's a cause for concern.
4)My blood sugar(taken when I got the meter, over an hour after breakfast) was 3.2 - the next one I took after lunch was 5.3. I have been advised there is no lower limit as I am not on any medications. My before breakfast result should not go any higher than 6, none of the others should be above 7.8. It appears even though my body didn't know what to do with the massive dose of glucose they gave me, it is coping with what I am giving it on a day to day basis.
5)My baby's growth is spot on the 50th centile, which is the 29 week version of the same line it was on at 20 weeks, the midwife described our baby as perfectly proportioned & is really pleased with that result.
I am now under that team & not the community midwife. Will have appointment in 2 weeks with a different diabetes midwife(I really hope she is as nice as today's who was lovely), then another scan & appointment with the DM I saw today at 32 weeks (4 days later), then my last scan and appointment with joint obstetrics/diabetes team (consultants, so this is where I will need to be firm regarding my birth plan) at 36 weeks.
She also has to recommend induction on my due date, but we'll see about that! I'll have further discussion on pros/cons/risks of doing that/not doing that at my next appointment before I see the consultants.
I asked if there are any natural options - she suggested sex, lots and lots of sex. Nothing else (spicy food, pineapple etc.)is proven. She also said they would do sweeps to try and start things before resorting to chemicals.

All in all, it went as well as possible. I may have to fight with some consultants to give birth on MLU, but if that's necessary, so be it! xxx
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:46 am 
Post subject:
Im happy that your relieved about talking to the midwife darl and before i start im reading along your email and tryping as i go down the email ok lol dunno why but makes me understand and remember what i say at the end Wink as for testing sugars before and hour after meals im happy about that in a way just so you know your doing all the right and even for piece of mind for yourself so you know exactly whats going on and what your levels are doing rather than not go this appt and get checked which could of been a hell of a lot worse without knowing hey!

how did the first growth scan go? i hope it all went well for you!
AH what a relief off your shoulders about the stillbirth been based on very old statistics i would of been worried like all heck! you poor thing.. least nowa days with all the equipment and insulin and metformin helping the risk STAY down is alot better knowing that and its a way less chance now but i also read up more about what are the chances of stillbirth from GD are and thought youd might want to take a look http://www.sarahstogryn.com/blog/pregnant-after-40-exp Theres a chart quarter of the way down but thats for women 40plus yrs old but theres still a very low risk of a stillbirth (which WILL NOT HAPPEN TO YOU!) Wink Around the 28weeks tho i would be on the safe side and keep monitering bubs kicks cause in another site it says this...'If you are concerned about your baby's movements after 28 weeks, lie on your left side and focus on your baby's movements for two hours. If you do not feel 10 or more movements in that time, you should contact your hospital maternity unit immediately to be checked. If you do feel 10 movements but the pattern of movement is not normal for your baby, also contact your maternity unit. They should bring you in to monitor the baby's movements.'

As long as you keep the sugar level at a normal level then atleast you know in yourself that you are doing everything you can to keep the baby safe and healthy and likely the bub will be okay Smile

Im glad the midwife even put you at ease about the stillbirth cause thank god that now that you have been diagnosed with it at this stage thru your pregnancy then you have MORE time to keep everything under control and YOU know very well that you ARE doing whats directed to keep this at a low risk for complications etc its better knowing now than later on in the pregnancy, thats one way you got to look at it and knowing its a MUCH lower risk now rather than NOT knowing till its well not too late, just leter on then freaking out thinking ohh ive left it too long whats going to happen, the chances of complications are more higher now etc least NOW you change that around and do what you must knowing you have done everything right and having more reassurance Wink

If anything raises a flag down the track which is still a chance then work around that one and still do what you can(which you will) but i see all will glide smoothly without concerns the way your going now. All i can basically say is just keep everything at its normal level and there shouldnt be any concerns if everythings kept normal and undercontrol right? Confused sorry if im wrong but all the sites ive read have confirmed that theres a LOW risk for complications etc if every direction is kept monitered and done right in your case you are so i can only imagine a low risk for you aswell hunny Smile

I totally agree with you that the glucose played a big part on getting a higher reading cause its bloody FULL of sweetness! check this out i just researched what is in that drink they give you and NO WONDER some levels just go up. Everyone is different so therefor i think everyones tolorence levels will be different to that stuff causing it to fluctuate depending on how tolorent you are to it.......Orange/Fruit Punch/Lemon Lime flavors:

Dextrose from corn
Citric Acid from corn
Natural Flavoring corn
Sodium Benzoate
Yellow #6
Purified Water

Simply Pure flavor:

Dextrose from corn
Potassium Sorbate
Purified Water

which found that twenty-eight jellybeans are equivalent to 50g of the glucose solution.
useful facts!! Laughing

Your levels are totally normal IMO and i think you just reacted to the drink they gave you causing it to go up cause like you said everyting else you have from day to day is normal range then just this once with glucose drink BOOM goes up lol

im SOO sorry about all the ranting but i enjoy doing these things lol gives me more knowledge in the area too and im only 23! as the saying goes, you learn a thing a day! Wink

Thank goodness for the baby being perfectly proportioned thats a major bonus for you and your family to know about! BIG relief! If you dont get a nice diabetic midwife, can you keep going back to her as she is more comforting and straight forward? i know i would! lol it sounds like you do alot of running around like going to all these ultrasounds, monitering yourself and bub, going to all the appts with different people etc but its all worth it in the end just sitting back and having the thought in your mind everything is ok right now and im healthy and so is bub so im proud of you! I was a bloody walking penguin struggling in the HEAT here when i was full blown preggas so i couldnt really do a heck of alot like you are lol And also i must say your taking all this soo very well you should be happy for yourself mummy!

you tell her to BACKOFF MIDWIFE no inducing till its a MUST DO thing! Wink Laughing you stand your ground! lol if you dont agree to any of them then DONT do it unless if what they say is a fair enuf excuse to do so, then yeah different story...

HEY BONUS for you and your partner you get to have more action lol and i been there done that with the spicy food, a WHOLE pineapple a day (with sugar ontop Embarassed )i even especially went to the HOTTEST spicy food restaurant here and i kid you not, i had to have atleast 6 orange juices as my mouth was on fire every little spoon full and my eyes were teary it was funny tho but i was late by 2 weeks and im sure the people in there knew what i was doing cause i looked like i was going to explode from the food and the size of my belly! and i kept hounding my partner for sex when i was close and NOPE nothing worked and all i got was a sore bum from the spicy food SORRY! Excited must obviously work for others! i ended up getting a membrane sweep at 41weeks and they advised having sex full on after that and well a week later and a funny story about my labour.., our son was born lol

Really tell them that you want your waterbirth and even IF theres a complication atleast its not far away but you really want to give it a shot! but yeah if they say no, then tell them thnx for bursting your bubble Wink xxx

AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:30 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your lovely message hun. The growth scan was all good. I had a bit of a chocolate and biscuits night last night to see what my sugars did (I had 10 squares of dairy milk fruit and nut after dinner and got an ok reading, for my after dinner reading, then I had a chocolate chip shortbread biscuit with a glass of milk before bed. My pre-breakfast reading was 5.4 so I was dreading the after breakfast one. That came out at 7.2 so at this point I was really panicking that lunch would send it over the edge. My body must have coped though, as my after lunch reading was actually back in the 4s.
I have been having cornflakes for breakfast though & apparently shredded wheat,weetabix & porridge are better options so I might even be better than I thought (I was never over, but that 7.2 scared me a bit!).
I have 2 friends who have suffered unexplained losses to stillbirth so I think it's easy to worry as it doesn't seem as uncommon as you'd want it to be. From what I can gather, there's no greater risk unless my sugars get too high - in fact, I reckon the only time they have is when I took that test. I'm very aware of baby's movements especially due to friends stillbirths.
I will be going to the same midwife most of the time, but she had no availability for appointment in 2 weeks time so had to book that appointment with her colleague.
As for my birth plan, if I insisted they'd have to listen - all depends on test results at what point I give up and go to consultant led unit (which does have a pool, but has fewer natural methods of pain relief) or whether I stick to insisting on the midwife led unit which is also a much nicer, calmer environment.
Not so bad here for heat, although it is Summer (but British Summer, so not as hot as yours would be). Still far too hot at times though!
As for induction, it all depends on test results and further info. Again, I don't think she would say it's necessary unless future test results indicate it is, but she has to recommend it because of guidelines. I'll definitely allow sweeps - just not sure about chemical induction. We'll see what test results come back as I may have to change my mind - I won't endanger my baby by being stubborn. xx
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:13 am 
Post subject:
You are very welcome Very Happy OH yum you have good taste in choccy Wink glad you had a good reading with the dinner and choc and the shortbread, least you dont miss out on the good stuff! Wink

7.2 is abit of a high reading but i researched why it could of been high and this is what it said and this is a site especially if you have GD so i wouldnt worry to much hun.
-'Eat a good breakfast. Your blood glucose levels are most likely to be out of whack in the morning. To keep your level in a healthy range, you may have to limit carbohydrates (breads, cereal, fruit, and milk), boost your protein (eggs, cheese, peanut butter, nuts) , and possibly avoid fruit and juice altogether.'

This is the webpage i got it off that can help you keep the blood levels at a heathy readinghttp://www.babycenter.com/404_what-type-of-pregnancy-diet-should-i-follow-if-i-have-gestat_3128.bc

I also found that this site will help you aswell and the first paragraph relieved me as it says it usually arises in the second half of pregnancy and goes away as soon as baby is born WHEN its been treated like you are doing now and people that leave it UNTREATED will most likely have complications.
http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/dietary_recommendations_for_gestational_diabetes/

If you want to know more about whats foods etc to help i just typed in google 'list of foods to keep blood sugar levels at normal for GD' Wink whole bunch of useful things for you! Thats to me explains why your level was up the roof during after breaky as they state its 'normal' for the levels to be out of wack in the morning Wink
just dont pour a sugar bag ontop of breaky! lol was absolutely hopeless with breaky when i was preggas, partner use to go to work at 4am so id make either 2 toastie sandwiches or weetbix COVERED in sugar lol not the brightest idea Laughing
So sorry for your friends that went through that agony of loosing their baby i cant imagine how much hurt they were feeling! id be an emotional train wreck! Crying or Very sad i dont blame you for worrying and seems like it is a common thing to happen but you cant be worrying yourself sick that its going to happen to you, you need to push them thoughts to the side as they will not help you and only bring you down and you need to focus on what your doing and keep the faith. I mean, like you said it is common and it does happen and my heart goes out to your friends and everyone else that looses a baby theres nothing worse than that but its the LAST thing you need to think about hunny and keep your focus on what you have now, a living, well proportioned baby with a healthy balanced blood sugar levels and you ARE treating it very well. And you are right if your blood sugar levels are up high all the time its more of a chance the placenta i think deteriorates causing the stillborn and read it is most likely to occur if numbers are wildly out of control (which yours isnt). Pay attention to the babys kicks aswell cause if you notice a difference it can also mean the babys cord could be wrapped around its neck another cause to stillborn. But both these are a VERY low risk for the baby as i just went on a site with mothers that have it and most of them arent worried until their levels are constantly out the roof then it would be time to go have a check up and see if everything is ok.

Hopefully the other midwife treats you well and goodluck with that appt! you BETTER let me know whats going on! Laughing Wink
You need the most quiet, calmer place to give birth where your most comfortable to make it easier on you so the decision is all up to you mummy! Gets so damn hot here as i mentioned i went thru my pregnancy sweating my bum off just sitting lol i could of honesly sat at home starkers naked all day everyday through it! Laughing i was even concidering a blow up pool and put it in the loungeroom and watch tv n chill out lol (lazy much) but it was HOT! if you get too hot even try taking a nice bath with candles and soft music WITH BUBBLES! lol fun and calming Laughing and yes so very true, if the doc reccomends about no water birth maybe you would haveto just do what they say cause IF theres complications atleast it would be quicker to resolve it rather than being downstairs loosing out on precious time. All depends on your levels like they say. I personally wouldnt let them do the chemical induction as i know it would put more thoughts in your head which you dont need and who knows if its going to harm bub etc atleast with the membrane one its all good to do and you will have LESS concerns about that Smile All the decisions are up to you tho darl xxxx

AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:00 am 
Post subject:
Thanks hunny. We were out of good food yesterday (and supermarkets drive me nuts) so I had super noodles and fish cakes for lunch.
I was told noodles were ok, but checked out the ingredients on flavour sachet. FULL of sugar, so I used only the tiniest amount and added soy sauce.
Obviously doesn't agree with me though as my sugars were 8.9 an hour later (oh dear).
I've not had super noodles in MONTHS, they were just sat up the back of the cupboard, so I'm only concerned by that reading, doesn't mean my sugars have been too high a lot.
Back to 4.9 for my pre-brekkie test this morning. I don't add sugar to my cereal but there's a surprisingly high amount in cornflakes already. Got some shredded wheat on order for shopping delivery tonight as that will be better.
Hope you're doing well. xx
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:37 am 
Post subject:
AH tell me about it! bloody hate going shopping here ESPECIALLY with a trolley and people are literally farting round taking up the whole isles makes me wanna run them over! Laughing yummy fish cakes very good choice! and i never knew noodles had sugar!? i usually eat the mi-goreng ones which dont have sugar in them and you get different selection sachets in them like you get one oil seasoning, chilli and soy sauce then the other sachet is fried onion and the seasoning. Do you get them there??

i dont think we have the 'super noodles' here Confused id steer clear of them noodles then if they are full of sugar! oh wow your levels at 8.9! Aaarggh stay VERY clear away from them!
&& i agree that take in consideration that your levels boomed after the noodles and so happens they are full of sugar even tho you had a little amount BUT also read the ingredients on the back of your soy sauce cause some contain sugar too (no wonder some here taste sickly sweet)lol maybe that played a part on the high reading?

I think every cereal is PACKED with sugar these days, no wonder why kids (like mine) go spastic even after coco-pops and cornflakes etc i love my stuff sweet but not sickly! heard of the cereal called 'Frosties'?, its like just eating plain sugar with a TOUCH of a cornflake/special-K taste lol might aswell grab the jar of sugar and munch on it straight Laughing

Glad your back to norms now! even try having like having scrambled eggs with bacon and mix and match with what you can have and slam it on some toast? just an idea :)im sure you will do just great tho!
Im doing well today thankyou! i get my period on the 21-22nd so only couple more days and already have a test ready to go hehe Laughing If AF comes,, ill be totally bummed but cant force anything to happen and its just not time yet but not giving up Wink Whats on the menu for tonights dinner?? i just thought of how much id love a big fat juicy roast right about now lol but im making a green chicken/veg curry with creamy rice Wink
xxxx

Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:41 pm 
Post subject:
Omgsh i actually was bothered to proper work out when im due for my AF and its TODAY! no signs yet as i usually cramp major before and during it.. i have a 26 day cycle and ive been charting it for the last 3 months and they have seemed to come spot on the day so its either the ugly witch comes with rage again today or ill be getting closer to a hopeful bfp!

i think ill get my hopes up when ive missed my AF for a week then ill test just to make sure they arent playing mind games on me but so far they are spot the day so im crossing fingers it dont show! Wink

Sorry just thought id update as im weirdly intrigued about either getting AF or not in a way lol Not if period shows ofcourse but you know Laughing

Hope your well!
im off to bed now its 2.40am, im a night owl lol

AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:34 pm 
Post subject:
Hope AF stays away for you for the next 9 months or so.
Noodles don't have sugar directly, but the way different carbs break down into sugar affects how much insulin your body needs to make to cope with it. Super noodles are a block of plain noodles with a sachet of flavouring. It's the flavouring that contains sugar so I didn't use much, but I think my body reacted badly to the noodles (the soy sauce had no sugar in it - I checked the bottle). We don't get mi-goreng noodles here.
Yes, we have frosties here - I purposely avoided those, but replaced my cinnamon squares with cornflakes thinking they were a healthier option (they don't taste sickly sweet). Special K is only any good for low fat - still lots of sugar.
Eggs are ok and bacon may not be too bad (it's cured with salt and sugar so not the best) - I don't often have time before work though so that might be best saved fr the weekend (plus having eggs too much of the time has other undesirable effects so try not to have them too often.
A big fat roast would be good. Smile But I think I shall be having beef burger in wholemeal bap with some salad. Smile xx
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:27 am 
Post subject:
i hope so too Smile
Oh i see what the noodles are, we have noodles in a cup looking thing and just pour hot water to the line then wait couple mins then, wallah! and we just have the other kind in a block aswell with the sachet but you cook that in a pot lol

Yeah guessing you reacted to the noodles cause if the soy didnt contain sugar and you didnt use much of the sachet then yeah fingers point to the actual noodles.
Geeze even bacon has sugar!? Confused what are people doing to our food lately lol EVERYthing has sugar! Special K has 4g sugar per serving so its not TOO much but still if you have alot of it then yeah prob not a good idea... (their recommended servings are always mouse size meals anyway) lol

Burger and salad sound absolutely yummy! Wink xxx

AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:59 am 
Post subject:
It was yummy. We buy fresh ones and cook them on the Gearge (Foreman, health grill) and that cooks them really nice - chars the outside, leaves the middle cooked but juicy - yum! And they're a winner. My after dinner sugars were 6.4 & this mornings were 5.2.
Hope AF still stayed away? xx
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:35 am 
Post subject:
Oh the ole george foreman lol when there on the tv advertisements they made me drool Laughing love the chars on the outside that they give! we had one of them aswell Wink 6.4? you happy with that reading?? Its not a horribly bad reading its quite good actually.

AF still not here but im feeling so frikken miserable today. OH is saying im more emotional in the last few days and in which i agree. Ive got so many things on my plate lately and they have been getting me real down but usually id take it on the chin and pfft away with it but ive been more sensitive and the most today! anyway dont wanna bring the day down lol absolutely no signs whatso ever with AF and i usually have BAD cramps a day prior to starting it but all ive had mostly is hight headed (esp today), mild cramping coming and going in my lower region and some mild lower back pains coming and going to but its not constant like usual AF Confused also i dont know if this is also a sign but ive had more watery and clear/white CM but im usually dry before AF (sorry TMI), i keep getting like bubble feelings in my lower front too which i found was weird but i dunno i may be working myself up for nothing and bodys just going wacko atm so only time wil tell Smile xxxx

AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:51 pm 
Post subject:
I'm happy with 6.4. I never truly trust a dinner until I get my after b/fast reading the next day. My after b/fast reading was 6.9 so still well within range so that was a winning dinner.

I had shredded wheat for this mornings b/fast (not as nice as cornflakes, but healthier). and a bap with cheese and salad cream with cherry tomatoes and radishes on the side. After lunch was 5.7. Dinner was takeaway (naughty). I ordered a burger with egg, bacon and salad and replaced the white bun with a wholemeal bap. Sugars 6.9 after dinner. Again, we'll see what after b/fast tomorrow brings.

Sorry you are feeling down hun. Stress can cause you to ov late so delay af too. I really hope it's not the reason she's not arrived though. Keep your chin up and I'm here if you want to talk (by private message instead if you wish). xx
Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:37 am 
Post subject:
Im glad that the reading was all okay then Wink
salad cream is the best! i went through a phase of just eating it on its own when i was pregnant lol i had it with everything! packet chips, through my potato mash, all over my dinner, hot chips lol you name it! Laughing Not a hugely bad dinner so least you treated yourself and still got a good reading Wink

Im feeling a little better today but the stress ive had for about 10plus years and its family probs but im sure you wouldnt wanna hear it Smile compare it with hell and yep thats what iv had on my mind for that long lol and cause i dont have contact with my parents (by choice) its just making it a little harder on me atm and badly need advice but im weiry in telling someone as only my partner knows the real deal. And im sure you dont wanna hear my life story lol but usually doesnt make my periods late but im now on day 2 of it being late and still no sign and its sooo tempting to take the test but OH says i should wait a little longer Sad

Hope all your levels are fine today! hows everyone else in your family treating you atm bet you have alot of support Wink xxx

Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:31 am 
Post subject:
OMG I GOT A BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW IT im shaking soo bad and crying my eyes ouT!!!!!!!!!!!! partners out and aharing the news with you first! SO CLEAR TOO OMG OMG
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:02 am 
Post subject:
Sorry lol over excited but yes straight after i was in shock in the bathroom and my son looking at me thinking like wtf mum, i HAD to let you know first lol OH still not back from mowing his parents lawn so when he does i wont tell him till he chills out first and then show him Wink cant wait to tel him! how you doing today?? hope very well! keep looking after yourself your doing a great job xxxx
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to:  

Community

Popular