Sleep Deprived!

Baba
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:35 pm 
Post subject: Sleep Deprived!
Hi All - I am new to this site.

Hoping that someone out there can help. I am sleep deprived. My daughter is just over 6 months now. She has only slept through the night a few times. I've tried controlled crying and after a week my husband said that he can't take it anymore. She drink formula during the day and breast before bedtime and during the night. Also has her first morning feed breast. I've recently started to give her some purees for lunch and dinner. she really likes this and I thought that she will sleep better once eating some purees. But no change. She doesn't sleep much during the day. Usually 2 naps of around 45 mins. She goes to bed at 7. Wakes up around 11, 3 and then 5. I am breastfeeding her everytime she wakes up. Recently she also went from 20mins feed to 40mins. During the day she has 3 bottles of formula of around 180ml. Sometimes less. I don't let her sleep after 5pm so that she will sleep at 7pm. Don't know what to do. I've returned to work and can't cope with the lack of sleep. Because I don't get enough sleep, I am constantly sick. Second time this year that I am sick. Usually get sick once during the year. Help!!!!!!!
eddiesmum
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:51 pm 
Post subject:
hi, 3 weeks ago i was in your situation!! i have only tried ontrolle crying inthe last week and it has worked. i my oinon, the first thing you need to do i ensur your baby is getting enough calories during the day otherwise he will wake in the night due to hunger. to do this you may need to wait until he is properly eatinbreakfast lunc and tea. try giving him food which is high in calories, cheese, fats etc and food which is high in slow rlease energies - eg. banana, oats, wholemeal rice. this means that he will be more filled up duringhte night!! after i did this i tested my little one to see if he was still just waking up out of habit, i did this by just giving him water in the night rather than a breast feed and he took the bottle no problem an settled straight off to sleep. to me thi said that he was only waking up through habit and not through hunger. i then tried controlled crying and it has woeked for the last 2 nights so fingers crossed.....!!
at first i was really worried about overfeeding my baby and giving him too much fat and sugar, but my HV says its good for babies?!?! but what do they know ha ha!! anyway, it seems to have worked!!
good luck
x
FD
Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:28 am 
Post subject:
HI,

You must be shattered waking this amount!
In my humble opinion your daughter isn't waking because she is hungry but more out of habit. By 6 months old she should be through the night or at the most waking only once. Sorry - I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear !

From your comments about her only just going from 20 min naps to 40 min naps it sounds as though you have had sleep issues with her from an ealry age and that it is more a comfort issue than food. (again sorry - I am not very diplomatic!)

She is expecting you to go in and get her so try not to do this. I know it is hard - my daughter was the same.
When she wakes go to her but don't pick her up or talk to her and don't make eye contact. Place your hand on her tummy and say SHHHHHH in a loud voice. You can rub your hand round in circles on her tummy or back to help comfort her. Do this till she calms down and then leave the room - dont do it until she is sleeping. Yuo need to teach her to fall asleep on her own.
I am not a fan of the controlled crying - infact I think in your case it will probably make matters worse. You need to teach her that it ok for her to be on her own.

If you really have to then give her some water , but do not lift her out of the cot , just sit her up - again no eye contact or talking. You really need to stop feeding her so often - you are being her dummy!
Let her know it is still bedtime and you are not entertaining her.

Another option is to try playing white noise to my daughter and managed to extend her 15min naps to 45 and finally to 1 hr 30 mins (although she wakes after 45 mins but falls asleep on her own)

Sorry - I kow it must be really hard for you especially if you ar back at work and ill too.

Hope something works for you.

Fiona

www.calmsleepingbaby.com
mrspirate
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:29 pm 
Post subject:
I am having similar problems with my daughter who is almost 7 months now, but the one thing my HV did advise at 6 months was to feed her 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks. Purees don't fill them up she needs protein and carbs, she has weetabix with warm whole milk for breakfast and some fruit slices to chew on, after morning nap she will have rice cake, cheese chunks, veg chunks- for lunch i give her things like cottage pie and veggies, tuna pasta, baked potato or jars, she also has fruit slices and rice cake mid afternoon about 3pm, then in the evening she eats whatever my husband and i eat, tonight it was salmon, rice and vegetables- i simply mash hers with milk or water til smooth.

She loves her food and she has started to go a little longer at night but still wakes once or twice unless its a bad night which is about 1-3 she is a little underweight so i am not cutting any night feeds just yet.
ELDAN
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:06 pm 
Post subject:
HI im new to this site.my problem sounds pretty similar.my little boy is 11 months old now,still waking 2 -3 times a night ,every night.im still breastfeeding and he wont settle for my husband.he wont take a bottle or a dummy.the only thing that settles him is for me to feed him.i dont think he is hungary i now think it is just a habit.any advice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular