Moses baskets

Marien
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:36 pm 
Post subject: Moses baskets
This is surely a stupid question but I'm only on my first pregnancy (apart from 1mc last year). Please can someone tell me why we need a Moses basket as I'm not sure what they are for exactly? I'm fine on the science stuff as am a scientist but the practical stuff isn't my forte! It seems we need a lot of stuff but if you've got a cot and a bouncer thingy and transportation devices (prams, car seats etc) what do Moses baskets do? Feel free to have a chuckle at my ignorance, I don't mind! Smile
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:10 pm 
Post subject:
As far as i can gather moses baskets are an optional thing. I've only got one cos my mum gave me my old one as a family heirloom and also cos we can't fit the cot into our bedroom for the first few months that are recommended. i think some people like them cos they're pretty! they're not in them long so i would say that it's up to whether you want a moses basket as well as a cot/cotbed xxxxx
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:26 pm 
Post subject:
not a must just babies look cute and they quite small so baby feels safe. both girls were in theirs for 2 weeks. not bothering with this one as think theyre a waste of time!
gingin
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:47 am 
Post subject: Re: Moses baskets
Marien wrote:
This is surely a stupid question but I'm only on my first pregnancy (apart from 1mc last year). I'm fine on the science stuff as am a scientist but the practical stuff isn't my forte! It seems we need a lot of stuff but if you've got a cot and a bouncer thingy and transportation devices (prams, car seats etc) what do Moses baskets do? Feel free to have a chuckle at my ignorance, I don't mind! Smile

not chuckling at your ignorance am chuckling a lot at your words though - I love the "thingy" reference - sums me up to a tee - still got to stop using the word IT LOL
Marien
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:32 pm 
Post subject: Thank you!
I just wanted to say thank you to you all for replying as I was quite baffled by the Moses basket conundrum Laughing I now feel reassured that it isn't an essential bit of kit and shall spend the money on something else - clothes and nappies probably! Loved your replies, thank you! Love Marien xxxx

Ps Until I know the gender of my Bump I am referrring to it as The Bump. I've been trying not to say it but just realised I keep doing it and I just did it again - aaaaagh! X
erj74
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:17 pm 
Post subject:
Just read this thread and it has helped me too with the whole moses basket question - its so difficult to know what is required and what is just nice to have!! Are those bar things that you put in the cot any good for when they small and need to be feet to foot?

As for calling the bump Bump - I think thats so sweet, I refer to my 26 week old bump as Bean as that was what she looked like the first time I had a scan at 7 weeks, she certainly isn't looking like a bean anymore but it kind of stuck Very Happy
x
Marien
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:52 pm 
Post subject: Bar things?
Eeek?! What cot bar things? Question This is something else I've not heard of! Ladies, any ideas, suggestions, enlightenment would be helpful! I like "Bean" by the way. My 6 week scan (previous mc that's why) showed me something that looked like a spaceship with a flickery heart but I didn't call it (oh no I said "it" AGAIN) "Bump" until I started showing (at 10 weeks).

To anybody reading this who knows which items ARE essential - please share! So far I've come up with - cot, bedding, transportation devices (pram or pushchair, car seat), nappies, clothes, bouncer, baby-proofing kits for cupboards, thermometer for room and 1 for taking temperature, bottles & steriliser and there's probably lots more stuff but my short-term memory is HOPELESS since I've been pregnant. ANY suggestions are welcome! Marien xx

Like, are playpens important? I had one when I was a baby, it looked like I was in prison but I am smiling hugely in the pictures so I must have liked it! Laughing
erj74
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:41 pm 
Post subject:
Oops, didn't mean to panic you there. There is a bar that you fit into the cot so that the baby can't wriggle up from the feet to foot position - have no idea if they are essential or not!!!

Your list is pretty similar to mine, although can't rememer now if you had monitor in there or not and I haven't gone for the cupbord saftey stuff yet, i'll worry about that when she starts whizzing around! A friend of mine also warned me to get lots and lots of feeding bras as she went through a couple a day even with breast pads - delightful Confused

Its a little daunting but also really exciting hee hee

xx
mummy2be1
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:04 pm 
Post subject:
ive decided to have a moses basket fo the simple reason seeing my newborn ina huge cot will lok weired and alsome and my partner have decided to have her in our room for her 1st couple of months, and it would be difficult to have her cot in our room

xxx
Twinks
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 am 
Post subject:
I do think that putting a baby in a moses basket or a crib for the first few months, is alot safer than putting them in a cot straight away - If you give the baby alot of space then he/she will wiggle around more.
Marien
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:22 am 
Post subject: Thanks and keep it coming!
I'm so glad I asked about Moses baskets and so grateful to all of you who replied - keep it coming please as I'm finding everyone's opinions really useful at this stage. The practical stuff has had me quite bewildered up until now, but everybody has really helpful suggestions and I'm feeling less confused now so THANK YOU ladies ! Very Happy XX
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:49 pm 
Post subject: xx
i am having 1 as i think its safter for the 1st couple of weeks and u can move it around easy if the baby is at ya mums or u go to see realtives also if u are just sat watching the telly u can have the baby comfty att the side if you xx
Twinks
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:34 am 
Post subject:
I bought a swinging crib and it is so pretty!! .. Can't wait to see him in it! Smile

Wooooooooo 3 weeks and 5 days and counting!
Marien
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:27 pm 
Post subject:
Not long now Twinks, that's so exciting and Good Luck! Marien xx
Excitedmumtobe
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:58 am 
Post subject: Moses Basket
Moses baskets are for the baby to sleep in when they are first born, so they feel safe, rather than putting a tiny baby into a huge cot!!! They are also good as you can carry them around the house, so when baby is small and sleeps most of the day, you can have them asleep downstairs with you when you're doing your bits and bobs round the house (if you're not asleep yourself LOL!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular