Peanut butter?????

Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:41 pm 
Post subject: Peanut butter?????
peanut butter an jam on toast,..... IM HOOKED!!!! but is it ok 2 eat? i've heard u should avoid peanuts when ur pregnant, although my mum says she ate peanuts when pregnant with me, my sister and brother!!!

really don't want to give up my peanut butter!!!! i've already lost my beloved coleslaw!!!!!!!! lol! Sad

kimberley xo
mummyof3sweethearts
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:58 am 
Post subject:
kim,
i may be of help, my son whos nearly 2 has peanut allergy, i dont think i ate peanuts when i was pregnant with him but i may of done without realising as i didnt know the risks and i was 8 weeks gone before i knew i was pregnant so may of ate them. if you eat peanuts while your babys developing it may bring out an allergy in him/her. trust me it really aint worth it, i have to carry an epipen around with him all the time in fear that a peanut could kill him! im 8 weeks pregnant now and im certainly staying away from peanuts (which i have to for my son anyway). and with mayo (colwslaw) if its shop brought mayo they done use raw eggs, its the home made stuff you should avoid.

hope all goes well
Marien
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:14 am 
Post subject: Peanuts - the official views as found online...
Hi. I looked online as this interested me and this is what I found out, hope it helps!

Firstly from www.direct.gov.uk

"Foods to avoid include:

peanuts and foods containing peanut products if you, the baby's father or siblings have certain allergic conditions such as hay fever, asthma or eczema"

And from www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/peanutsexpert

"The UK government recommends that certain women avoid eating peanuts while they are pregnant. You are advised to avoid peanuts if you, your baby's father, or one of your previous children has had an allergic reaction to something."

It seems from these and other websites that, as with most allergies, children are more likely to be at risk of developing peanut allergies if they are already present in the family. I really hope this helps, I'd talk to my GP about it too if I had any doubts...Good luck and all the best, Marien Smile
alana123
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:57 am 
Post subject: Real fact about eating peanuts during pregnancy
My sister while she was pregnant ate lots of peanuts. Now the girl is 2 years old and experienced severe allergic reaction 2 times when she ate peanuts. So, i suggest you better not to eat peanuts.
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:53 pm 
Post subject:
Oh my god peanut butter and jam on toast sounds amazing!!!!
I am being on the cautious side though too and not really going near nuts either. I am obsessed with goats cheese which my doc said would be ok from the supermarket cos they have to pasteurise it but when we go out for tea I shouldn't have it in a restaurant as it may come from a 'proper' cheese shop....I feel your pain Crying or Very sad xxxxx
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:47 pm 
Post subject:
when i was first pregnant i didnt know you werent supposed to eat nuts, so i had penut butter on toast everyday, i absolutly love it.

Since i have found out, ive stayed away, nut allergies sound really hard to cope with as so much has nuts and nut oil in.

I miss it loads and am sure i am carving it just because im not aload it, but if it reduces the risk of my baby getting an allergy il wait until after the baby is born. xx[/b]
cardea
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:04 pm 
Post subject: yummy !
Hi I'm 38 weeks pregnant now and the baby is doing well. One of my cravings has been smooth peanut butter on toast and i have been indulging in it when the need strikes. I have no family history of allergies to peanuts on either side of babys family so decided it was too low risk to worry about. I've heard one of the other foods you should avoid is strawberries, but again, i weighed it up as very low risk and believe that the health benefits of strawberries outweighed any potential problems.

I think it is a personal choice and up to you to asess the family history etc. I have been very strict with other things though, such as not having runny eggs, or soft smelly cheese, i have not had any alchohol etc. I think it's just the allergey thing you need to weigh up.
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:19 pm 
Post subject:
Is the strawberry thing from the old wives tale about eating strawberries gives your baby a strawberry birthmark?xxxx
Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:38 pm 
Post subject:
DAMN IT!!!!! I LOVE MY PEANUT BUTTER!!!!! lol!!!

there's no allergies on either side of my babys family, although the dad has asthma, i'm not going to risk it, after reading through the comments, i think i'll just have to give up my lovely peanut butter and jam on toast!!! SadSadSadSadSad

im so sad right now!!!! lol

thanks all for the advice

kimberley xo
Marien
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:54 pm 
Post subject: Jam
You could still have jam though, YUM! Very Happy
Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:22 am 
Post subject:
lol!!!! thats true,........although the peanut butter 'made it' lol!!!

jam on toast it is!!!! Very Happy
heatherlynn
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:40 am 
Post subject: Same here..
I eat toasted peanut butter & jelly sandwiches all the time. But I crave them constantly. I'm 27 weeks as of today & all is well besides the typical morning sickness & heartburn. I read on one of the pregnancy websites that anything you want your baby to like in life you should eat while your pregnant because they taste anything you eat. So I guess the only way to tell if it's not good for you is if you get sick after you eat it. [/img]
gingin
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:10 am 
Post subject:
i am just jealous that you are eating my fav spread on toast - also love marmite & bovril on toast MMMM! ever since i was 5 weeks i am turned off just about everything in the cupboard and fridge - now into week 12 and nuffin has changed - cereal and baked pots and oranges seem to be my diet !! when this is over i hope normal services are resumed !
as to the peanut thing - I guess its best to be safe than sorry - although there seems to be such a long list of what to avoid nowadays - i read the other day to avoid fish from the north ! how in gods name are you going to know - am not sure you can trust packaging these days either LOL
xx
Twinks
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:16 am 
Post subject:
I never got told not to eat Strawberries, that just seems silly!
gingin
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:23 am 
Post subject:
i am eating strawberries ! i thought they are really good for you ?- ironically my mum had cravings for them with me and yes i was born with a strawberry mark on my back but it grew out as i grew up !! i didnt know that how bizarre !
g
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular