twin girls wont poo on the loo

twinmum
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:37 am 
Post subject: twin girls wont poo on the loo
help........please my 2 and a half year old twin girls wont poo on the loo.....they go wee wee (there words) on the toilet with no trouble at all, but when it comes to a number 2 no amount of begging,bribing,asking or pleading will get them on the loo. They insist on crawling under the table (yep..thats right UNDER the table) and doing it in there knickers !!!!!! Its really strange i cant get either to go on the toilet. I have tried a reward chart but it did not work. Im starting to get really worried as they start nursery in september and i have a terrible vision of them both under the tables in the class. Please some one..........HELP
kazbabe
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:09 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there You might have tried this already but what about putting the potty under the table and then gradually move it away from under the table.
Potty training can get frustrating sometimes my son (who's the same age as your twins) for some reason won't do wees at nursery, however at home he loves going to the toilet and also when his at his nana and papa's house. I've tried the same things you have with no luck. I'm sure they will get there in the end though!! Smile

Good luck
Let us know how you get on
helzbelz
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
my son is the same age as your girls and has exactly the same problem except his preferred location is the garden. i'ts driving me mad. hes fine with peeing in the toilet and he gets loads of praise, stickers and biscuits when he does, but he screams and fights if i even suggest setting him on the loo when he needs to do a poo. short of leaving a potty outside im lost for suggestions. any you have would be very much appreciated.
Buncey
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:27 pm 
Post subject:
helzbelz wrote:
my son is the same age as your girls and has exactly the same problem except his preferred location is the garden. i'ts driving me mad. hes fine with peeing in the toilet and he gets loads of praise, stickers and biscuits when he does, but he screams and fights if i even suggest setting him on the loo when he needs to do a poo. short of leaving a potty outside im lost for suggestions. any you have would be very much appreciated.

I have been told it's "a boy thing". more frustrating for me is that my first, a girl had no issues with going at all, but my boy will only poo in his pants! more faverable room is the p.c room! he is mad on cars etc. i have bought a new lorry with a car on the back which he can see and i have said "it is yours if poo goes in potty or toilet, poo in pants and lorry will wait for you". he wants the loory and says "mummy need poo potty" but goes off and tells me to go away while he does it in his pants - agghhh!
foxie
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:41 pm 
Post subject: potty training
This is a very common situation for potty training children, who may quickly learn to urinate in the potty, but are hesitant to bowel movements there. Instead of thinking about it as a problem though, it is better to consider it to be a normal part of potty training. Which means that you just aren't done yet...
To help your child learn to poop on the potty, you should first make sure that she isn't constipated. If she has bowel movements that are sometimes big, hard and painful to pass, then she may just be afraid to use the potty to have her BMs. Increasing the amount of fluid and fiber in her diet, and perhaps using a stool softener, can help make her bowel movements softer and easier to pass if this is a problem.
If constipation isn't a problem, or if it is and you have fixed it, then the following tips may help to get her to have regular bowel movements on the potty:
Continue to let her have bowel movements in her pull-up, but then empty her poop into the potty to show her where it goes. You can then remind her that 'poop goes in the potty.'
Encourage her to have her bowel movements in the bathroom, even if that means having her sit in the corner of the bathroom and going in her pull-up. Once she gets used to that, then have her sit on the potty in her pull-up when she has to go. The next step might be to undo the pull-up and then eventually take it off. Some people also cut a hole in the pull-up, so that she is still going while wearing it, but her poop falls in the potty.
Read children's story books about potty training to her, such as Everyone Poops or The Princess and the Potty, to help get her used to the idea of pooping in the potty.
Offer lots of praise when she does make some progress, whether it is emptying her pull-up in the potty or going in the bathroom.
If she is resistant to all of these methods, then you should likely continue to give her a pull-up and let her go where she wants. Let her know each time that she should tell you when she is ready to start going in the bathroom or on the potty.
Most importantly, don't shame or punish her for not having bowel movements on the potty. As you found when you withheld her pull-up, this can quickly turn into a big power struggle, which will make your training even more difficult. If she isn't ready to go on the potty and doesn't have a pull-up, then she will likely either hold it until she becomes constipated or begin to have accidents in her underwear.
She is also likely too young to be given responsibility for cleaning out her underwear and washing up on her own, a method that sometimes works for older children.
And remember that 3 isn't a magic age where everyone is potty trained. Many children aren't fully potty trained until they are 3 1/2 or 4 years old.
sarahangharad
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:53 am 
Post subject:
Good post, Foxie. My eldest son wasn't ready for potty training until he was over three years old. We did try last August (lots of pressure from MIL Rolling Eyes and other people who haven't had contact with infants for 30years plus - things were very different in the 1970s!!!), but he just wasn't ready and became very anxious and panicked. After half a day I decided that back to nappies was the best way forward for the time being.

I toilet trained him in early Feb (he was three in Nov) and it was pain free and took no more than three days for him to get the whole thing. This is because he could understand what I was explaining to him and we could discuss if he was frightened or scared "Mummy, will the toilet eat me up?" etc. What happened tho was that he had a tendency to "hold" his poos until bedtime, then ask for a nappy. I went with this and just explained that soon he will have to do poos before bed and that would mean he was a big boy. In his own time this happened and I think the trick is not to worry unduly about the age issue and let the child guide you to a certain degree. The more relaxed you are the less of an issue it is to the child.

It isn't as easy as the books tell you - potty training in one week very rarely happens. Good luck and remember that every mum goes through pretty much the same thing Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Nappies, Changing and Potty Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular