New Baby and Pets

mia1969
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:59 pm 
Post subject: New Baby and Pets
I have a cat , Im starting to worry about how he is going to react to a new baby, Is there some kind of net you can put over the pram or cot to stop the cat getting to the baby??, I know I will be keeping them well apart but you can't have eyes in the back of your head! Has anybody else had problems getting their pet to adjust to a new addition to the family???
sozzle
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:33 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Mia - i have two cats and have been advised by friends in the know that there are lots of things you can do before baby arrives to prepare animals. This includes getting friends with babies to come round for visits so that cats get used to noise and smell of babies. A few months before birth, start to enforce a cat free zone in the babies room so that the cat gets used to not being allowed in there and consequently doesnt feel need to go in there when baby is born. There are some really handy factsheets produced by the Cats Protection League which offer some really good advice on how to ensure cats and babies get along (check out their websites). Finally, not sure about cat screens for cots etc. although it is definitely important to keep cat away from baby when sleeping. I shouldnt worry too much, if anything, you will probably find cat goes in complete opposite direction, especially when it hears crying!! sozzle
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:48 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Mia, I don't have a cat but have two small dogs. I've seen my dogs with babies and it's very cute cos they get all worried if the baby cries! A friend who has a cat made her one scared of the cot (not in a bad way I think she would just bang something loudly when putting it beside the cat) and then it wouldn't go near it. She was worried it would want to curl up inside it whether there was a baby in it or not!! Mothercare do a 'cat net' for pushchairs and carrycots and it looks just like an insect net so if you're really worried maybe something like that would help xxxx
cardea
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:05 pm 
Post subject: cat
Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks for the information regarding the cat net from mothercare. I have a really old cat ( 15 ) he is very set in his ways and hates change. I have been worried that when the baby arrives he may see this 'wriggly thing' in the moses basket as his own little central heating system and try to climb in. i have got a stand for the moses basket to keep it off the floor, so this should hopefully deter him, but the net is also a really good idea and i did not know about it before. Thanks !
Twinks
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:46 am 
Post subject:
To be honest I wouldn't worry too much as the cat will probably be scared of the baby!

I have closed the door to the nursery so my cat hasn't been able to get in there for around 2 months so hopefully he's used to it - The problem is he sleeps in my bedroom either on my bed or on the window sill. When the baby arrives the crib will obviously be in my bedroom too, I do need to get him in a routine of closing him in the living room, but I can't bring myself to do it, plus he can open doors (which is not so good) and I know that if I do leave him in the living room he is going to make a hell of a noise about it.
chaoskay
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:05 am 
Post subject:
Our cat was never a problem at all. We made sure he was flead and wormed, so there wasn't any risk of the baby catching anything - and we weren't worried at all about him smothering Daisy, as she could grab him at a very early age. Jasper (kitty) learnt to move out of her way fairly quickly! We often found him asleep curled in a ball at the bottom of her cot whilst she slept at the top end. Some would say that makes me a bad parent, but I seriously never worried much about the whole issue.

We bought a cat net initially, but never felt the need to use it anyway (I think we did once and Jasper actually fell asleep on the cat net). From what I've gathered, the whole fuss over cats and babies is as a result of terrifying urban myths that have no basis in reality at all.

But then I could be wrong. Cats have different temparaments, and every parent should do what they feel is right for their baby.
gingin
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:35 am 
Post subject:
we've got 3 cats and i know one in particular is going to have a lot to say about the new arrival ! when my other half was single it was the 2 of them in the batchelor life !! then i came along, with my 2 cats, then we moved and now we have a puppy to add to the mix - all in all i have visions of finding her wrapped around the babies head or kneeding the cot blanket - what we hope to do is make the upstairs cat free zone over the summer - going to be hard given that 2 of them sleep on the bed every night ! we are putting up fencing for the dog so his designated area is the kitchen and the garden but hes very partial to the sofa and sneaks onto it whenever he can - am not worried about my 2 cats but the puppy is going to have to be watched all the time !!
so much to think about now and for then LOL
the positive thing is that baby should build up immune system and wont be allergic to animals fingers crossed
x
pommie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:57 am 
Post subject:
I have 4 cats and I think that most of them will be fine with our new arrival as they have seen my nieces from when they were born. One of my cats actually loves kids and always rubs around the kids when they visit. Make sure that when you are not spending time with your new arrival, you still give your cats love and attention so they do not feel left out.

If you are concerned at all, you can buy a product from the vets called Felaway which is a plug in product that helps animals with stressful situations like bringing a new baby home. It is very good and definitely worth trying.
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:51 am 
Post subject:
Hi again, found another product when browsong on Amazon called the Clippasafe Cot Cat Net. It's only 11.99 and they do free delivery if you spend over 15. I understand that some cats will be scared of babies anyway and not want to go near them but thought it might be helpful for those who have cats who like to snuggle too much! xxxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular