Vitamins

lindablair
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:45 pm 
Post subject: Vitamins
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I am curious and I couldn't find what I was after in the forums.... (also I am too lazy to trawl back after so many pages!)

I have started taking my prenatal vitamin now I know I'm knocked up, with all my folic acid stuff etc in it, but I was taking my old vitamins (Boots A-Z multi vitamins) for a little while, albeit sporadically... what damage if any have I done?

I'm abit confused because the multivitamins said not to take if pregant or trying to get pregnant etc etc, the usual warning, but mentioned Vitamin A especially, but the Sanatogen prenatal ones I am taking now do not have them in... but then I read somewhere
Quote:
"Adequate supply of Vitamin A is especially important for pregnant and breastfeeding women, since deficiencies cannot be compensated by postnatal supplementation."

Confused!
Marien
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:37 pm 
Post subject: Vitamins
Hi! I take Pregnacare and also Floradix (iron supplement) as directed by the midwife...I think the best thing to do would be to ask your GP or midwife hun. I doubt that you'll have done any damage though so I wouldn't worry too much about that - easier said than done when you're pregnant! I don't think they contain vitamin A, I think we generally get enough in our diets, but again, if in doubt, I'd check with your GP. Hope this helps Very Happy PS Good luck with your pregnancy xx
mummyof3sweethearts
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:20 am 
Post subject:
hi!
i wouldnt worry to much, least you stopped them now, i think the normal ones have stronger amounts but they just say things to cover theyre backs. speak to the doc if your worried but im sure everythings ok. for my first pregnancy i took pregnacare, but in boots i discovered boots had some that were more sxpensive so when i looked they have added fish oils which is for IQ good for babies brain development, also have root ginger in witch settles your stomach. im taking these as my son had eczema bad as a baby and aprently fish oils can prevent it if taken in pregnancy so im willing to give it a go in this one (im 8 weeks).
Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:37 pm 
Post subject:
There are two types of Vitamin A, apparently. One is animal based and is contained in things like liver. The other is vegetable based Beta-Carotine and is found in things like carrots and such. I believe that Beta-Carotine is good for you, but the animal based vitamin A should be avoided.

Please someone let me know if I'm wrong on this.
pommie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:25 am 
Post subject:
i have also been taking pregnacare and the midwife seemed happy with this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular