Was happy with bottle, now seems distressed and wont take it

Rhonda64
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:22 am 
Post subject: Was happy with bottle, now seems distressed and wont take it
My baby girl is 12 weeks old. I started expressing about 5 weeks ago, so her dad could give her a bottle every (or every other) evening. In the last few days she seems disinterested and distressed and wont latch on or take the bottle. And will only take the breast. We like to continue the bottle to keep her used to it (and for the bonding with her dad also), for when I start to ween her off the breast. Currently using Avent bottle and teet. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions please? thank you.
CAH
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:32 am 
Post subject:
Hi, at this moment in time my husband is trying to give a bottle to our four month old. She has been breast feeding fine and at 4 weeks old I started to express milk and give it to her without a problem. we didn't give the bottle very often but now she screams the place down as soon as a bottle goes near. I tried to be strong and not give in but I alwys end up giving her the breast as I can't cope with the crying. My friends have said that when she is starving hungry she will take the bottle, but the thought of leaving her for hours and hours without a feed is horrible, but I may have to try as she needs to go to nursery soon. I read that you can try and warm the teat so I think I will try that next. I am going to by formula as well as I am running out of energy trying to express all the time with milk just going to waste. Someone mentioned about using a beaker but at four months I think she is perhaps too young.

Its a nightmare...she is still screaming now!
elsiemum
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:40 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, all. Changing over to bottle is a nightmare, isn't it. When I went back to work, my son needed to be given breast milk from a bottle by my husband. He wasn't overly happy, but when I went to work he took it - only bit by bit (not ounces and ounces)- and still went back to the breast on my return. Maybe try the bottle (or other alternatives) when you're not there, and if baby cries, just try and try again. But if you are there, let him have the breast. I hope it works out. My husband said it was much easier than either of us thought once I wasn't there!!
CAH
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
Hello!
Since I last posted a reply, My little girl has finally taken the bottle, although I am not sure how long it will last. Basically my husband persisted with it for the first day. For three feeds she just screamed but he kept holding the bottle in her mouth then suddenly she would latch on and just take it. Each time she cried for a shorter period of time. Today she took the bottle from me with no fuss what so ever! I am going to keep giving her at least one bottle of expressed milk a day so she doesnt forget what to do!
Good luck with your littley!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular