First Pregnancy without midwife

Catherine1587
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:07 pm 
Post subject: First Pregnancy without midwife
This all sounds very familiar, i found out when i was very early about 4.5 weeks,
went to the doctor, they asked if i was going to keep it, i said yes, he perscribed me folic acid and pregaday tablets and sent me on my way, i had to ask what was going to happen after and only then did he say the hospital would send a letter for a 12 week scan. I then had my 12 week scan on the 13th Feb, everything looks fine and my boyfriend nearly cried when he saw our little bubba on the screen, the baby was sucking his thumb in the scan its amazing how developed they are at 12 weeks, looked like a proper little person. My boyfriend said the baby looked all happy and cosy in my womb. that made me laugh,
Anyway i just wondered if you are supposed to be registered with a midwife by now, because i havent had any meetings no one had taken my history told me what not to eat, weighed me or given me a general check, i havent even had my blood pressure taken, although i did have numerous blood tests when i went for my 12 week scan.

is this normal to have such an uninformative pregnancy? i still haven't got an appointment with a midwife they just told me to come back to the hospital for my 20 week scan on the 3rd april.

this is my first baby and I am quite shocked at how uninformed i have been, its good that i have my mum and a few of my friends to tell me what not to eat, otherwise i would have carried on.

any comments on this?

confused

thanks
xx Very Happy Very Happy
booter
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:39 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Catherine, it makes you wonder what we pay our taxes for doesn't it?
Well, from what I've gathered, where you live has alot to do with what sort of service you receive from the NHS. However, I'm sure your MW should have seen you atleast once to discuss all those things with you.

I just looked at my notes and I had my first appt with the MW at 6 weeks but then didn't see her again untill 17 weeks (obviously having my 1st scan inbetween that time). I then had appts every 4 weeks with her thereafter (with the 2nd scan at 20 wks) untill week 31 when the appts became as frequent as every 2 weeks. It is definately very important that she see's you that often from about week 17 ish because they will monitor you and the baby and chart the progress.

If you still haven't heard anything from your MW by week 17 then get on their case as you and baby are very important.
morwen
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:30 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Catherine,

When I first went to see my doctor at 5 weeks, she told me (after offering some general advice) that I should make an appointment with the midwife at the surgery at around 8 weeks for "booking in".

If you haven't seen a midwife yet, I would phone your surgery and ask if they have a midwife that works there whom you could see. If your surgery doesn't have a regular visiting midwife, then the receptionist (or your doctor) should at least be able to tell you where there is one in your area (the appointments might be at your local hospital or where you are going for your scans).
Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:47 pm 
Post subject:
hi all,
i'm very different! my GP has me make an appointmentment with her every 4 weeks, on these visits i have my weight and blood pressure checked, and she asks me how im getting on and if im feeling tired more often or how's morning sickness and other pregnancy symptoms.

on top of that i've so far seen my midwife when i was 4weeks for blood tests, then again for an early scan at 7.5 weeks and im due for another scan when im 12 weeks.

although i can say i had my previous visits with my midwife as i had strong period pains and was concerned.

my GP gave me loads of leaflets and booklets about what foods to eat and what to expect with a week by week diary of how everything is developing.

i'd go to your GP and ask why you haven't been given this kind of care and demand they have monthly check-ups for yourself also, as blood pressure is best monitiored when ur pregnant (so im told) and woman can develop diabeties or anemia also.

somethings deffinately not right and you should definatley ask about it.

let me know how you get on. best of lkuck.

kimberley xo
Catherine1587
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:53 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks so much for all your advice, I really appreciate it, makes me feel a bit more confident knowing that it isnt that much of an issue until week 17, that gives me 3 weeks to whip em in to shape! lol

thanks again!
xxxxxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular