swaddling? how long should he be swaddled for?

darith
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:05 pm 
Post subject: swaddling? how long should he be swaddled for?
have gorgeous 9 week old who sleeps well at night and day naps, but he sleeps swaddled, have been trying to unswaddle him but he does not sleep well at all, keeps waking up after 30mins or so, should we get used to being unswaddled are is it ok to keep swaddled ???
FD
Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:12 am 
Post subject:
Hi Darith,

I would stick with the swaddling. Lots of baby advice books etc advise you to swaddle for as long as possible.
I swaddled both my children , for my first I just used a shawl but for my second I bought a swaddle blanket - mainly because she was a wee riggler and was able to get out most things you wrapped her in. The swaddle blanket was such a help in not only getting her to sleep but for keeping her sleeping longer.
They grow out of swaddling naturally, by that I mean when they get proper control over their limbs they can decided where they want there arms to be.
Don't get too worried - I would say whatever helps them get to sleep is what you should use.

Hope this helps.

Fiona.

www.calmsleepingbaby.com
darith
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:34 am 
Post subject:
thanx for that, have kept with the swaddling, he has slept through the night now for two weeks, but now have put him in his big cot he keeps waking up!! keep him swaddled now just have to get him used to his cot and let us get some sleep!!
darith
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:53 pm 
Post subject: swaddling
hi ya
we stuck with the swaddling, but around 13 weeks he kept waking us up about 3 times a night because his hands were freaking him out!!! put him in a sleeping bag and he has never slept so great, goes through the nite without a sound. so guess he was trying to say he did not wanna be swaddled any more!!!
FD
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:23 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

that's good news, long may it continue!!

F.
stacie07
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:03 pm 
Post subject: Re: swaddling? how long should he be swaddled for?
my 9month old is still being swaddled...i never used to do it when she was a really little baby but she cannot sleep without her dummy and when she learned how to take her dummy out she would take her dummy out in the night and that would wake her!! tho saying that swaddling her doesn't mean she sleeps all night without waking!! i think it really depends on your baby...if he likes to be swaddled and sleeps well like that then don't change it!
i have a question for all you.... as i said my baby is 9months old and i thought i was really lucky when at 9weeks she started to sleep through!! however that did not last!
my health visitor suggested that i should put her down for the night in her cot awake. most nights she screams and screams till in the end she gets herself into such a state that i pick her up and cuddle her to sleep.....also she wakes at least 3 times a night and sometimes as much as 8 times a night. i feel that i have a good bedtime routine...
she has a bath and 6.30pm every night after her bath we go straight to her room and i get her dry and dressed we read a book and then i put her in her cot give her a kiss, say goodnight, put her lullaby night light toy on and leave the room....every night when im only jus out of the room she starts to scream i try to leave her 5mins before i go back in but often go in after about 3!! and most nights end up either picking her up and cuddling her till she is asleep or sitting on the floor by her cot and stroking her face.
what i really asking is does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to feel more settled before bed so she goes to sleep better, also any tips on how long to leave her crying what works for your babies and anything i could add/take away from the bedtime routine? anything help would really be appreciated!! x
FD
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Stacie,

It's really hard not going back in. I found that letting my daughter listen to white noise really helped and within weeks almost had sorted her out, but of course every baby is different and this may not work for yours but it would be worth a try.

Personally I wouldn't put on a night light or play lullaby music - I know I have just suggested white noise music but this is completely different to a lullaby, as this may be stimulating her.

She is also maybe getting to old for the swaddling - have you tried a gro bag

Are you worried about her pulling her dummy out ? If so use a dummy cord to attach to her gro bag and she will eventually learn to put it back in.

Is it always you who puts her to bed - let someone else try and see if the reaction is the same

If you want any more info on white noise or anything else then let me know

Hope some of this helps

FD
www.calmsleepingbaby.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular