formula or solid food first?

vhinma
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:39 am 
Post subject: formula or solid food first?
hi guys! my baby is 7mon old and he started eating solid food when he was 5mons. He was feeding fine but recently I had read a book that says to give the baby milk first before the solid food... I was used to giving him the solid food first and then give him milk.. Please let me know if this is ok or should I follow what the book says?Thanks everyone for your help!!!!
SexOnFire
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:32 am 
Post subject:
I was always told milk first, but now I give a bottle every 4 hrs throughout the day, 1.5-2hrs after bottle I give food. Obviously not after the last bottle though. It works well for me at the moment, as he has finally started to have the majority of his milk. Giving him milk and solids at the same time or close together just didn't work for us.

Good Luck xx
vhinma
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:38 am 
Post subject:
i'm doing it the other way around.. i'm giving him the solids first then after 1.5 hrs i'll give him his milk.. he's doing fine though but i'll try to do the same as your doing.. maybe giving him milk first is better. thanks again!
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:21 am 
Post subject:
up until 6 months should be milk first as milk is sooo important.

after 6 months its more flexible, as long as you are feeding him good food Very Happy my HV recommended solids first, but said if we got worried he wasn't taking enough milk to switch it round. We still do solids first, seems to work OK.
Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:35 pm 
Post subject: weaning
Hello vhinma
I got really confused with this as well as got told both.
When i started weaning Lucy i was giving milk first, stopping feed early and give a little solid food.
But found i had to switch it over once she was at 3 meals a day as she was too hungry and her weight gain slowed down. I guess she was telling me herself what she needed. I also made sure that her last solid feed was not too heavy or close to bedtime (main meal was at lunch time ) so that she was hungry enough to have a good milk feed before going to sleep.
Hope it helps
Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:31 pm 
Post subject:
At the moment, i give Kaitlin a bottle as soon as she wakes up, and then she goes back to sleep, then I give her porridge and water when she wakes up (usually between 8 and 9am), then about 11am, i give her a bottle, around 12.30-1pm i give her food and water, and the same again at 3 or 4 pm, and i then give her a bottle before Bed. I was giving her a bottle at 3pm as well, but ive stopped this now, and she eats plenty of food.

I read Annabel Karmels books and have followed her basic timetable. It seems to be working fine, and Kaitlin is getting at least 21ozs of milk a day, not to mention 1 to 2 yogurts a day.

Does this sound right to everyone?
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:03 am 
Post subject:
sounds perfect petralou Very Happy

Isaac happily has solids first, as he knows the milk comes after and always seems to save room lol. I do the same and make sure his last solids are a couple of hours before bed, so he has a nice big warm bottle just before going up for the night.
Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:49 am 
Post subject:
hey guys! thanks for the ideas you've shared! Now I feel comfortable to be doing what I used to do. I tried though, I gave him milk first before the solids but it didn't work well. He's too tired by the time I give him the solids, he cries....Maybe he was used to our routine already because usually he sleeps after I give him milk. Maybe I'll stick to whatever works. Like you guys were saying, as long as he gets enough milk... Thanks again for all your help!!!! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Six Months to One Year All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular