HAS ANYBODY HAD AMNIOCENTESIS?

flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:01 pm 
Post subject: HAS ANYBODY HAD AMNIOCENTESIS?
Hi just wondering if anybody on here has had an amnio or is anybody considering one?? I am 40 and am having a nuchal translucency scan in a couple of weeks but am terrified at the prospect of having to undergo an amnio...any advice or experiences gratefully recieved. Many thanks, Flossie xx
trunch
Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:42 pm 
Post subject: amnio
hi flossie i am 42 and also worried about the amnio test. i am only 10 weeks now and have been anxious for all this time. i will be so relieved when all tests are done and the results are back and ok. i wish it could be done now so i can start to relax and enjoy this pregnancy. is this your first. this is my third and very much unplanned. Shocked
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:30 am 
Post subject:
Hi Trunch - Its my third too, I have a daughter of nearly 16 and a son of 12. Have had 2 m/c in last 6 months and 1st baby with second husband...(what a story)!! It is all very different now all the testing and new ways of doing things, I too am willling the weeks away until all the tests are over and I can begin to enjoy being pregnant, if my Nuchal scan comes back with a high result I will be having the amnio but even though I dont consider myself a wimp or squeamish for that matter the thought of a needle passing through my stomach whilst awake is not one I relish! Are you having a Nuchal first? Kind regards, Flossie xx
jojo1974
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:15 am 
Hi,

I had an amnio in my last pregnancy, my bloods put me in a "high" risk group so was advised to have this done. I was surprised as was only 27 years old at the time, so rather niavely didn't expect it. The proceedure itself is a little uncomfortable, but I was able to watch the needle going in my stomach via the screen, and therefore able to watch the baby too! Didn't take very long, few minutes I think, and was advised to rest for a day or two after.
The results happily came back as all clear, and they are able to tell you the sex of your baby with 100% accuracy if you want to know.
I am currently 15 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child, am 34 years old and my blood results have just come back as low risk, but if they hadn't I would have no hesitation in having the amnio again, just to know one way or the other and be totally prepared.
Hope this helps and good luck in your pregnancy! By the way In case you're wondering what I am doing posting at such an hour, I am a night shift worker and having to fight the great fatigue, good time to have a surf on the net! Very Happy
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:23 am 
Post subject:
Hi Jojo - Thank you for that, I really am quite surprised how freaked out I am about this especially as nothing is certain until I have had the Nuchal scan...must be my age!!!! It is great to hear from someone that has been through it. Get some sleep!

Kind regards, Flossie x
trunch
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:00 am 
Hi Flossie. Im not quite sure what a nuchal scan is so i dont know whether im having one or not. all that has been mentioned by midwife is a 12 week scan and bloods taken then we go from there depending on result. doc has said even if results are low then still should go for amnio. its all very confusing. im finding it all a bit overwhelming. my partner(very new partner) and i havent told anyone yet not even our kids. i think we are both nervous of everyones reaction as it will be a shock to most of my family. its a bit dificult hiding it too as the weight seems to have gone on too quickly. roll on the next few weeks when all will be ok and everyone will know. then i can start to chill out a bit Very Happy

Happy Mothers Day Trish x
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:41 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Trish - Our children from previous marriages do not know yet either, waiting to make sure everything is ok first, I too am getting really big it doesnt help that for the first time I have been suffering from 'morning' sickness in the morning, evening,middle of the night anytime really and I cant tell if its because I am hungry or going to throw up so I eat something!! Laughing Have cooked lunch for my parents today and felt the urge to have xmas pudding for dessert - I think my daughter thinks I have gone mad... I knew nothing about the Nuchal scan until I got pregnant and was told by a midwife ,it is where they measure thickness of baby's neck it is then basically put into a computer with your details maternal age etc and then your 'risk' is given, I am having to pay private as my local hospital do not do it, it seems it is very very accurate and I am hoping and praying my result is low then I wont bother with the amnio, however, if it is high then I will have to. Let me know how you get on. Flossie xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular