getting pregnant after sterilisation reversal

shellie30
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:02 pm 
Post subject: getting pregnant after sterilisation reversal
Hi, i'm 29 & i got sterilised almost 2 years ago.i'd had a pretty rough time for the past ten years & thought it was the right thing to do.However,here i am now with a much happier,healthier well being & i know i've made the biggest mistake of my life.
For the past year my partner & i have saved up to pay to have the operation reversed & at the moment i'm waiting to see the consultant to arrange it.
Is there anyone out there who's been through it & how did they get on afterwards?
thejessa
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:19 pm 
Post subject: sterilisation reversal
Hi, I am 32 and I was sterilised at 25, at that point i had a five year old son and didn't want any more children but was unable to stop getting pregnant. I had been on the list since I was 21 and by the time I was sterilised I had been pregnant 15 times, some miscarriages and some terminations. all were concieved whilst using contraception. my last pregnanacy I was using both the mini pill and the injection and still managed to get pregnant.

However 7 years on and I am now happily married and underwent a reversal operation in january of this year. It was expensive (4050) and had to be done privately, it was also a lot more complicated than sterilisation and I was very dissapointed to find out that if I had continued to use the mirena coil, (the only contraception that did work for me) I would not have needed sterilisation as it is more effective.

But back to the operation. I was in surgery for roughly four hours and had a laproscopy and then a laprotomy. I was pretty much out of action for the first day and I was very sore. I stayed in the hospital for four nights and although I was sore my biggest pain was trapped wind!, This reduced me to tears and wnet on for at least three weeks after the operation, I was also surprised at how weak I felt and walking for fifteen minutes wiped me out for two days. By week six after the op I was just about feeling human and capable again, bedroom activities had been tentatively restarted a couple of weeks before and when my period arrived I was partly relieved because I felt like my womb was now recovered from its trauma and partly devestated as I had almost expected to get pregnant straight away.

I had a second period two weeks after the first and at that point I just decided I was not going to think about it anymore. That was six weeks ago and I had a positive test 5 days ago. it is still early days and I am now going for an early scan to make sure it is not ectopic, but with any luck I should be mother to a new baby by christmas this year.

when I went for the op I was told the chances were 75% in my favour, but my doctor has also not had a failure yet, so good news for those who want to do this, however a word of caution, since having the operation my abdomen is still numb in quite a large area, I have been informed it is a commmon side effect and that the feeling may never return, I don't know how that will effect my pregnancy but I will try and keep you posted
startingagain
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:42 pm 
Post subject: sterilisation reversal
Hi I've just sign up to the site and saw your message, I just had to reply.
I was sterilised 9 years ago, using the clip method I had 3 children and was in an 11year relationship. however my marriage broke down and I spent 5 years alone. Then in 2005 I met my soul mate, the most wonderful man in the world - he has no children as his ex wife was unable to carry due to health problems. So last year we began to look at our options, well to cut a long story short IVF was out and so was open surgery, but I had seen reversal by laparoscopy ( key hole) my search began !!!! In January this year I found a surgeon who would do it. We had a consultation and 3 weeks later I travelled for 3 hours to Cambrigeshire for my surgery.
Very nervous and excited, I was one of the first in theatre just after 9 am, at around 5.30pm the same day I was on my way home with four tiny little insitions. I was very sore and on bed rest for a few days though I could get up and potter around . On day four I was up and about and kept improving each day, after two weeks I was almost back to normal, though I had my 1st period which was a little uncomfortable and heavier than normal, I still felt ok.
It is now almost 5weeks since my reversal and my partner and I are hoping I won't have a 2nd.
We had to go private, it was a package which covered consultation, surgery, bed for the night ( if needed ) and all drugs including a bag full of pain killers to take home. The cost was 3190.
All I can say is it was the only option for me and it turned out to be a very positive one, just waiting for the positive pregnancy test now ( we have been practising since 5 days after the surgery ). if you would like the hospital and sugeons details I will gladly pass them on !!

Good luck in your search x x
shellie30
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:23 pm 
Post subject:
i've just read your replies & i want to say thanks for sharing your experiences.The last few weeks have been a bit up & down finding a consultant & hospital to do the operation but now we've found the man for the job & i'm booked in for the 5th of April.I'm excited,nervous & tearful,though i can't explain why,probably because my dream is almost fulfilled & i never thought we'd reach this point.
Anyway i'll keep posted on how the operation goes & hopefully it won't be too long till i'm pregnant!!!
startingagain
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:19 pm 
Post subject:
Ah shellie I'm so pleased for you,
Very Happy , I understand exactly what you mean, I was up and down like a yoyo, the slightest thing and i'd be crying or snapping at someone, luckily it was only a couple of weeks and there was so much going on, time to think about it was limited !!

Stay positive and thing of the end result Laughing

I just keep the consultants last words to me in my head ". . . so I will see you in 4 months unless you get pregnant in the mean time "

Well heres hoping just past the half way point and praying I'll not have a 2nd period on the 7th April.

Wishing you all the luck and baby dust for the 5th will be thinking of you , will be around if you need a chat, moan or anything in the mean time .

TTFN x Donna x
shellie30
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:02 pm 
Post subject:
well here i am the night before & i still can't get my head round the fact that i'm getting it reversed.i'm so glad that i'm not alone & theres others out there who've also been up & down emotionally.i'm not as tearful or snappy now & i'm happy about that cos i swear if that hadn't improved,i probably wouldn't have a partner to have a baby with Evil or Very Mad .i've been a right dragon & i don't know why. Anyway i'm looking forward to tommorow & i'll let you know how i'm getting on,xxx.
startingagain
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:11 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Shellie

I have been thinking about you since yesterday, tried to send a pm but don't think it worked ?? Confused

Anyway good luck for tomorrrow I'm so excited for you, and sending loads of positive thoughts and baby dust !!!

Take Care and speak when you get home

Donna x
shellie30
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:38 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,well that's me,i've had the operation and i'm back home now,sore but happy as the op went well & the consultant's very happy with the result. Very Happy I was a bit nervous when i found out the op would be like a caeserian section as i'd thought it would be keyhole surgery but with an hour till the op,i didn't have too long to worry about it. Afterwards i was in a lot of pain & slept most of the next day but the day after i was taken off the drip & had the catheter out,so i was able to get up & walk about etc. I was in hospital for 3 nights & i spent that resting,now that i'm home i find that theres so many things i can't do & that's frustrating Mad ,my partner & the kids have been great helping out & even though i'm not doing much i'm so tired.I've also just started my period so things could be better but as soon as i feel up to it i'll be ttc,at the moment i'm too sore to let my partner near me but hopefully that won't last long.Thanks again for your replies,they mean a lot to me.i'll keep you posted on how things are going & hope you stay in touch to let me know how things are with you.good luck & keep smiling xxx.
startingagain
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:24 pm 
Post subject:
Hey Shellie

Good to hear you're doing well and are home. Know exactly what you me about being unable to do things, that was the worst for me, so used to just getting on and doing stuff !! I just kept reminding myself why I'd done it and it made me behave and take things easy. My partner and kids were fab just had to hint and they'd do it ( was swimming in cups of tea from my daughter bless her ) .

I bleed straight after for a few days, got my 1st period 12 days post op. My 2nd af arrived during the night. Was a little disappointed, but don't feel too bad it was the 1st month of properly trying. We did manage very cautiously and gentley 7 days post op.

Take it easy and keep us up to speed
Load of Baby Dust & fingers and ttoes crossed

Donna x
JANEYLOU
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:51 pm 
Post subject:
hi im going through everything you guys are.I was in a horrible relationship for 15 years and eventually escaped, my husband now is the best thing that ever happened to me and he would love another child with me unfortunately i was sterilised 7 years ago.I am going to see my consultant on tuesday to discuss a reversal but i am a bit worried as my tubes have been cut and tied. Did anybody have that sterilisation reversed? hope to hear from someone soon thanx
startingagain
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:00 am 
Post subject:
Hi janeylou

welcome to the site, my sterilisation was with the clip method, but my consultant said it depends alot on your surgeon, so long as you have at least 4cm left after the cut the damage theres a good chance of success. Defo more than with IVF which is what the first consultant tried to push me into because of my age etc.

That was the problem I had, finding a surgeon that would do it key hole, I didn't want open surgery. I ended up having to travel 200 miles but it was worth it. Are you NHS or like me and shellie had to go private ?

Hope you get on ok and get what you want, best advise I can give is read up on all your options and know what you want . Good Luck

Donna x
JANEYLOU
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:34 am 
Post subject:
i went to see my consultant a year ago and he did the same , tried to push ivf but i wasnt keen on the idea , not natural. He did say he would do the reversal but said it was a big op and i would be off work for weeks and it would cost 5,600. He didnt mention anything about keyhle surgery. Who did you get to do it? would they be able to do keyhole even though my tubes have been cut? x thanx for your reply it means alot to know i have other people in the same position to talk to x jane x x
JANEYLOU
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:37 am 
Post subject:
forgot to say donna, yes i have to go private Sad but its gonna be worth it. I cant wait to have a new baby with my hubby. Hes already looking at baby names online. I just hope it will be a success x jane xxx
startingagain
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:45 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Jane ,

I had to go private cos I have 3 kids even though they're not my partners so he has none. I initially looked at the IVF option but after reading all about it I was keen either, too many drugs and messing up your system not to mention the risks. As well as the fact each treatment took months and was only a small chance, This way we had a chance each month. It was during this search I found a link to the keyhole reversal but they all seemed to be in America ( didn't fancy the open surgery, too long in hospital and recovery too long too!), it would be the same as when I was sterilised but the other way round! I was determined to find someone in the uk to do it so my search began.

So finally after months and months of searching I found a guy in cambridgeshire. It's a private suite in an NHS hospital and a package price all in including consultation and overnight stay if required was 3189 . I contacted them on 28th Jan they replied with an appointment for the 31st Jan - I had my op on 20th Feb. We went to our GP for the forms for the tests, so we had the results ready, my partner had a sperm count and I had a blood test to check I was still ovulating and not pre -menopausal.

I'm in cheshire so the 200 mile trip to me was worth it. If it's a doable trip for you I'll gladly pass on his details he's a lovely man and explains everything . I asked loads of questions via e-mail to his secretary Jo she was fab too nothing is too much trouble anything she doesn't know she'll ask him and get back to you.

My partner has told me we are having a girl- I told him we should get pregnant 1st and then guess what it is ( he keeps kissing my belly and talking to my eggs Laughing bless x

will send details pm Hope it's usefull to you

Donna xx
JANEYLOU
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:32 am 
Post subject:
Hi Donna
thanks for that , im going to see my consultant tomorrow and see what he says ill keep you posted. I would prefer keyhole so his details would be great i could always see what he says.

Thats the only thing its such a big op and the recovery time Crying or Very sad My head is all over the place, i just want it done and thats all that seems to be on my mind. I cant seem to think of anything else but BABIES!!!! and because of my age 37 i havent much time left, but its great to know theres other people out there that yu can talk to cos noone seems to understand what its like.

My husband has already got 1 boy so will he still have to be tested? anyway thanx for your reply it means alot, hope to hear from you soonx

thanx again jane xx
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Page 1 of 167

Jump to:  

Community

Popular