Is it ok?

scaredmum2be
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:48 pm 
Post subject: Is it ok?
Hi all, am new to this forum, so forgive me ifI'm a little rusty!

I am 16 weeks pregnant with my first baby, and am more worried than I ever thought I'd be.

I had an urge at lunchtime for some cheese on toast, which was lovely. It was only when taking another look at the packet, that I saw that it should have beun eaten within 3 days of opening. It had been open for around two weeks, but was still in date until the 14th April ( which is what I looked at first and assumed it was ok). It was wrappedup in the fridge and looked and tasted ok.

Have I done any harm to my baby?

Confused
Marien
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:20 pm 
Post subject: Cheese
Hi. I used to work with food and after a number of food hygiene courses and other courses/exams I discovered that most cheese is less likely to cause food poisoning than many other foods. There are bacteria that can be found in/on some types of cheeses but if you feel ok then there is nothing to be worried about - if you're not affected your baby shouldn't be either.. If you become ill then you should go to the doc/hospital and tell them what you ate so they can help. Otherwise, try not to worry, as in all likelihood you and the baby will be fine.

I would also say that with all foods and pregnancy, if you're wondering about whether something is safe to eat (and you really fancy it), check with your GP/Midwife or, if you're in doubt, don't take the risk. Also, in some families where there is a sensitivity to certain types of food (gluten, lactose etc) or a tendency to allergies (e.g. peanuts) the UK government health department advise that those foods are best avoided in pregnancy to minimise the risk to the baby of developing an allergy. Hope this helps, all the best Marien Very Happy
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:46 pm 
Post subject:
On that note I bought some brocolli and stilton soup got it home and was about to rip it open and thought oooh its stilton, I cant eat that!! Anyone know if iits n soup is it ok to eat? Thanks Flossie x
Marien
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:56 pm 
Post subject: Soup
Yes. As long as you heat the soup thoroughly (which you'd do anyway) so that it comes to the boil and then simmers for a few minutes - this will kill bacteria so in soup I'd say it is definitely safe. xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Pregnancy Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular