2 questions please

linny1949
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:00 am 
Post subject: 2 questions please
Firstly I have 2 grandaughters, one went to the doctors yesterday and he thinks she is at least 16 weeks pregnant although the pregnancy test she done yesterday said negative, he said it's because she is too far gone for it to show, is this correct, also she is very underweight so could that make a difference.
The other grandaughter has been having blood tests to see if she is ovulating and got a phone call from the doctor to say he needed to speak to her urgently, could he tell if she was pregnant from an ovulation blood test? Please help as we are all extremely worried about them both.

Thanks
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:26 am 
Post subject:
Hi,
Crikey what a stressful time for you all. Surely the doctor has booked a scan for the first one? I had no idea that a pregnancy test wouldn't work after a certain amount of time. I had a friend who was very underweight and this meant she hardly ever had a period. Is the GP doing blood test etc?
As for the second I don't think they can detect a pregnancy that early in the cycle. If she normally has a 28 day that would mean the egg would only just be trying to attach itself.

Try not to worry though its amazing the stuff they can do for people these days.
Good luck
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 am 
Post subject:
The blood test for the first one is booked for today and I hope a scan will follow if the test comes back positive, she only weighs 6 1/2 stone and is only just 17, it was a complete accident as she is on the pill but had to have a course of anti-biotics and was not told that the pill is not safe while you are taking them. The second one is 22 and is the eldest sister of the first one, she has been trying for a baby for a couple of years and should have had 3 blood tests over 3 months to see if she is ovulating but they have called her back after the first so I am wondering if she was already pregnant before they did the first blood test, could they tell that from an ovulating blood test?
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:35 am 
Post subject:
When I had that blood test it was done day 21 of my cycle so they knew i wasn't pregnant as i was having periods. Although life being what it is this doesn't always mean your not pregnant. They test the level of hormones and if she is pregnant i'm not sure they'd find what they are after. Maybe you could call NHS direct and see if you can talk to someone more medically minded. They may know of another advice line. Good luck!
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:38 am 
Post subject:
did the second one have a period 21-ish days before the blood test was done? if so i'm pretty sure its too early to show up whether she's pregnant or not even if it was possible to tell from an ovulation blood test (which i don't know if it is sorry). i'm saying this because to test if she ovulated they have to test on or very close to day 21 of her cycle and they wouldn't know which day that was if she didn't have a period...
also, can't you (or she) call the doctor back and ask why they need to see her or otherwise try to get an appointment asap cause it seems very stressful to be left hanging like that.

hope it all works out the best way possible for them both x
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:16 pm 
Post subject:
Just had a quick look online and something they mention is that on a day 21 test they can detect thyroid problems. Nothing to worry about as I have a friend with two lovely little boys who had this problem and as soon as they found it she was preggers within the year!
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:59 pm 
Post subject:
the day 21 test is for progesterone to see if you are ovulating, you cannot know whether someone is pregnant from this test, its maybe more likely that she isn't ovulating and that's why the GP needs to see her.
Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:47 am 
Post subject:
The second one isn't pregnant, the doc wanted to see her because the nurse had told her to come for the test at the wrong time, the first one got the blood test reults back and it was negative but the doctor said because he thinks she is 16 weeks gone then the blood etst would have showed negative, has anyone had this before, he's convinced she's 16 weeks but the tests are coming back negative.
linny1949
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:43 am 
Post subject: panic over
Panic over, the first one is not pregnant, it turns out she has a cyst on her ovary. The doctor was wrong to tell her she was pregnant, we have all been out of our minds with worry for 3 days especially as the tests came back negative thinking of what it could be if it wasn't a baby. Thanks everyone for your replies
BabyWife
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:15 am 
Post subject:
Oh linny what a stressful time for you and your family, I cant believe some doctors theses days i have just be been told i have pcos after being told i didn't,

I hope you and your family can get back to normal now with no worry or stress

xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Fertility Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular