My 7 month old won't sleep through the night

booter
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:29 pm 
Post subject: My 7 month old won't sleep through the night
Hi
No two nights are the same with my lo. From about 3 months old he stopped feeding through the night and generally slept well until teething started (still none yet). Some nights he would surprise us and sleep in his cot until about 5ish and then come into bed with us untill about 8am. Then he started waking when we put him in his cot for the night and the only way to get him off would be on my hubbys tummy and then put him in the cot. Recently he has been ill with a viral infection and although now practically over it, he will only sleep for 2 hours in his cot and even being in with us he is moaning and fidgeting every 1.5 hours. I have tried soothing him when he wakes in cot and then putting him back and he just gets angry with me.

I should add that he has a good daily routine and evening routine though not exact.

Any help would be much appreciated. I may not respond right away to your replies but I will respond. Thanks in advance
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:27 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Booter, its nice to hear from you!

We've had a lot of the same problems with Kaitlin. We put her in her own room at 6 months, and she wouldnt stay in there the whole night, then she got poorly, just like your little man, and i had 3 or 4 nights last week when she spent the night in our bed! The last 2 nights, she has slept in her cot all night, granted, only till 4.30am this morning, but thats not bad going considering she was in bed for 6pm because she was shattered!! Then, I did what you do and put her in bed with me.

Could it be hunger? Or the opposite, could he have had too much and maybe got belly ache? Kaitlin fidgets when she needs a poo!

Or Thirst? If Kaitlin wakes up, I tend to give her some water, as she has a blocked nose which must give her a dry throat. Because of this, im finding i might need to change her nappy in the night, or certainly at 5 or 6am, as she is soaking wet from drinking water in the night.

Also, does he sleep in a 'grobag'? The only times Kaitlin has ever slept in her own bed is with a sleeping ba, she just kicks blankets off. Also, the temp has dropped, could he be cold?

Also, kaitlin has a blocked nose, and I rub vapur rub on her chest, and put some olbas children on a tissue near her cot, she wont sleep if she cant breathe?!

You've probably thought of all of this already, but i hope ive helped xxx
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:58 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply Petralou, how are you? I can't believe it's been so long since we had our LO's. It's nice to know that we're not the only ones with this problem.

I breastfeed at night and the bedtime feed is usually atleast an hour long. Even when he has his early morning feed he doesn't seem hungry usually. The water in the night is a good idea though as he does get a blocked up nose.

He sleeps in a grobag as he always used to kick off the blankets. He also has a sleepsuit, but then it could be cold?
I will definately try the vaporub.
Thanks again Petralou
x
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:33 am 
Post subject:
hey booter Very Happy

Petra's said pretty much everything really Very Happy the only thing I wanted to add was that he might just simply have got out of the habit of falli9ng asleep on his own since his time of falling asleep on Daddy? If that's the case, you might need to try leaving him a bit longer each time to settle, until he gets himself back into the habit - or try when you go into him, don't pick him up, just stroke him and sing to him.

Hope you work it out soon

Anna
xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular