Basal Temperature....any advice anyone???

Casstia
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:56 am 
Post subject: Basal Temperature....any advice anyone???
Having recently come off the pill so that we can try for a baby I have now invested in a Basal Thermometer which I thought would explain what I needed to do/know when it arrived.....needless to say it doesnt and so I havent got a clue!! Any help about understanding what temperatures mean would be much apprecited! Very Happy
jenniP35
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:57 pm 
Post subject:
Have you done a search on the internet. You need to take your temp. evry morning before you get out of bed. Should be the first thing you do when you wake. Print off a basal temp chart and plot your temps every day. They don't indicate when you are ovulating but your temp should rise sharply for 3 consequtive days after ovulation. I think the purpose of temps is so that you can see whne in you cycle you ovulate so that the next month you have another tool to help you pinpoint your fertile window Smile

Forgot to say, you have a couple of nice big veins under your tongue. Pop the thermo there and keep your mouth closed til it beeps.
Casstia
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:19 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks thats great....you are being a real life saver today!!!

Ive done loads of looking on the internet, to be honest probably too much which is why I am getting so confused about everything!! Smile
jenniP35
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:42 pm 
Post subject:
No probs, only wish I could be as much help to myself. Laughing I'm booked in for pre pregnancy counselling with the community midwife on Thursday so I'll be sure to have a list of questions ready for her Laughing
Casstia
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:17 pm 
Post subject:
That sounds really interesting. Would love to hear how you get on. How did you find out about that?
jenniP35
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:45 pm 
Post subject:
Went to the docs yesterday because I am on meds for a racing heart beat - only happens now and again but I have been rushed to hospital with it a couple of times. Anyway, you can't take them when you are pregnant so I have stopped them and went for some advice. The good news is, even if you have never had palpatations, you can develop them once you are pregnant Sad so I'm off to see the cardiologist.

I've also had treatment for cervical cancer about four years ago. My gynae nurse says there won't be any problem getting pregnant but once the baby starts to get heavy I may not be able to 'hold it in' because I have so little cervix left. So she wrote to the community midwife here before I moved to let her know my history. Apparently the obs docs won't do anything preventative with your first baby so there's a good chance, if I am lucky enough to conceive, that the baby would be delivered from as early as 32 weeks.

But thats not really answered your question - I presume all community midwifes offer a pre pregnancy chat, your GP's receptionist could probably advise.
Casstia
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:25 am 
Post subject:
Hope everything goes well today....lots of luck x
jenniP35
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:45 pm 
Post subject:
Just back from my chat with the community midwife - lovely lady.

The good news is I'll be getting a cervical suture ASAP after conceiving so the little one won't fall out. The obstetrics consultant already knows about me so that's a relief.

She didn't really give me any more advice except have lots of sex! and if I don't get pregnant in 6 months then cut out the wine Sad but don't stress about it just now.

I mentioned that I was 6 days late after having a regular 30 day cycle for a few months and 3 negative tests. She said to test again in a week and that its not uncommon to be testing too early and get a negative. She says the dip strip tests are pretty accurate though Smile

Would def. recommend a chat with your local community midwife though
Crin
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:05 am 
Post subject: Basal body temperature
Hi Casstia, click on getting pregnant on the pregnancy guide on this website and that tells you everything you want to know. Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular