Flight to Asia with 3month old

anfieldpauline
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:58 am 
Post subject: Flight to Asia with 3month old
Hi, I would like to ask for anybody's experience of long haul flying with a baby 3 mths old to any non western countries. My husband is Indonesian and we are planning to take baby back for 4-6 wks but this is not Bali but Lomobok, and not sure of the health risks to baby? Any advice on vaccinations, travelling with baby in SE Asia and long haul flights very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Pauline
chickybabe
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:18 pm 
Post subject: Long haul flying with a baby
Hi, I have a 6 month old baby, we have travelled 2 long haul flights since he was born (1 to SA, 1 to NZ). As far as vaccinations go, your best be would be to talk to your doc or nurse and check what the health risks are in that country. For the flight, babies this age are a breeze. This in my opinion is the best time to travel, you need to carry much more stuff than normal but they are much more portable at this age, you don't have to try and keep them amused or stop them from running up and down the aisles. They will generally sleep most of the way, just make sure you get a seat with a bassinet. All major airlines have these. If you haven't already booked it just ring your airline and tell them you want one, if these seats are already taken by anyone not travelling with a baby (and people do request these as there is more leg room) then you will be given priority and they will be moved. Another thing i found is make sure you take some insect repellent that is suitable for babies (as most is not) i did my research and the one i came up with is called Herbal Insect Repellent by NeemCare. I got it at 'as nature intended' health food shop, it is not super cheap but it did the whole family and saved the poor little guy (and mum) from potential sleepless nights of insect bites.

Good luck
Donna
anfieldpauline
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:13 pm 
Post subject: flying longhaul with baby
Hi Donna,

Thank you for your response, it is really re-assuring to hear from someone who has actually done the trip. I was of the same opinion that it should be easier to travel with baby than wait until they were 1 or 2. I had read about the bassinets although we decided not to book the flight until baby was born and we knew he/she is fit and healthy for the trip.

Thanks for the recommendation for the insect repellant it is mostly mosquito's that I get concerned about and so I will definitely buy some of the Neemcare. Something I hadn't even thought about.

Thanks,

Pauline
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Travel with your Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular