Back from my appointment with the Nurse.....

Casstia
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:27 pm 
Post subject: Back from my appointment with the Nurse.....
.......Just got back from my appointment with the Nurse. She was really great! She told me things that I hadnt really thought about. I'll give a few examples below just for info....sorry if everything I say everyone already knew anyway!!!

- She has given me a form for a blood test to test for my antibodies against German Measles. Apparently despite having the Measles jab you arent necessarily protected. If you got German Measles during pregnancy and werent protected it could result in your baby being deaf, dumb, blind or all three. This was quite scary so off for the test tomorro.

- For women under 30 you have to have been trying for a baby for 2 YEARS before the NHS are obliged to assist you. God, thats a long time I thought?

- They recommend you take folic acid when you start trying and the most important thing is keep taking it. Even if it takes 2 years!

- It has quite a large affect on how much alcohol hubby drinks. Common sense dictates that it will have some sort of impact but its actually quite important. As she quite rightly put it women pretty much ovulate most months regardless of whether you are obese, underweight, an alcoholic or whatever but for a man to produce HEALTHY sperm he must be physically fit and not drink too much. Her guidelines on too much were:- two bottles of lager or one large glass of wine per evening is sufficient - no more!

- If you are like me and suffer from migraines too then you have to be really careful what you eat and drink. I had been drinking orange juice in an effort to ensure my immune system and vit C is up to scratch but apparently this is a very strong trigger for migraines!

There are a few other bits and bobs too which I think are mainly common sense....the fruit and veg, fresh fish, grilled chicken type advice and also to only take paracetamol for headaches etc. You can take Ibuprofen but they recommend paracetamol.

If anyone has anymore questions that she may have answered to me but that I forgot to put on here then please let me know and hopefully I can be of a bit of help to someone!!

Jo. xx
jenniP35
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:35 am 
Post subject:
Hi Jo, I take it you are under 30 then, did she say anything about those of us in the pensioners bracket ie 35 and over Laughing
Casstia
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:19 am 
Post subject:
Not quite sure you qualify for your pension yet (!!!!) Very Happy

She said that usually between 30 to 33 they expect women to try for 12 to 18 months. This decreases gradually so 34 - 38 would be about 9 - 12 months and so on. Hope that is of some help?!
amysmum96
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:13 pm 
Post subject:
elloooo just to say me and my fella have been ttc since sept i was on the implant for 12 yrs prior this will be baby number 2 for me but 1st for my fella.. last month i got myself in such a state i decided to go to docs for some help or advice he was lovely i thought was gona be sent away lol any way ive had all the blood work done which cme bk normal my fella is to do a seamen sample to check that and then we ae to return to docs for those results dependin the outcome depends where we go next doc says it maybe that were just missin the chance and that it will eventually happen,, im 33 btw but my doc aint givin up on us tg ..... so good luck to you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Teebird
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:30 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Jo

I really appreciate your post, especially the bit about the folic acid. I've been umming and aahing about whether I should take it. I have been TTC Baby No. 1 for 15 months now and took Folic Acid tablets for the first 10 months but then got fed up with buying the tablets and not falling PG so I figured I'd give up and start taking them again only WHEN I got PG. Though, I've been reading a lot about people saying how necessary it is and your post has cemented it for me - I'm going to start again with this evening's dinner!!

Thanks again for your post.

All the very best to you and everyone.
rosie36
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:06 pm 
Post subject: im a fogey too!
hi everybody, i would just like to say to jenniep35 that youre not alone, im 36! we have been ttc since november and as i said in an earlier post im becoming a bit obsessed cos im older and feel time may be running out? at the same time im sure getting stressed about it is not doing me any good.im sure it will happen soon, you know, wheve got used to the idea that it may not happen? lol!its wierd how it takes over your mind. everybody i know seems to be getting pregnant, apart from me. on a happier note tho i have a friend whos just found out shes expecting and shes 40. so theres hope for us fogeys? x
Teebird
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:33 am 
Post subject: Re: im a fogey too!
rosie36 wrote:
hi everybody, i would just like to say to jenniep35 that youre not alone, im 36! we have been ttc since november and as i said in an earlier post im becoming a bit obsessed cos im older and feel time may be running out? at the same time im sure getting stressed about it is not doing me any good.im sure it will happen soon, you know, wheve got used to the idea that it may not happen? lol!its wierd how it takes over your mind. everybody i know seems to be getting pregnant, apart from me. on a happier note tho i have a friend whos just found out shes expecting and shes 40. so theres hope for us fogeys? x

Ditto - i'm 37 next month and still trying for baby no. 1. I never thought I'd let it stress me out but it's a constant struggle not to let it, which I guess is stressful in itself - Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular